The Student Room Group

IBS ruins my life, will I have to live in poverty?

11 years of IBS-D has crippled my social life due to the constant need of toilet use for defecation. This has caused me significant ******ation in emotional maturity and I am always anxious in social events and about complex or lengthy interactions, making me kind of an outcast. I can't recall how many prejudices, culminating in mistreatment by ableist professors that pushed me to the verge of termination of studies (in a research program), I have been subject to throughout my life.

I have missed uncountable opportunities since teenage which could have enriched my CV and helped me in career and house search because of IBS-D. It is hard to gauge the level of severe damage of this condition to my life. I have tremendous difficulties in both job and house search, which are necessary for survival.

This condition is incurable. I don't think I can live a normal life predicated on a stable job but have to either spend my life on benefits, which may not be granted, or parental sponsorship.

I hate living in such way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone having the same condition?
Reply 2
Can you ask if you have seen your GP about this and what you have tried for your IBS?
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Can you ask if you have seen your GP about this and what you have tried for your IBS?

Incurable.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Incurable.

Uh-huh. But what have you tried to help with the symptoms?
Reply 5
I have the same thing and whilst I had a bad couple of years 2020-22 with it, it has settled down in a big way now. Small food changes (less grease, fewer tomatoes, fewer strong spices) and alleviating stress were the big ones for me. I also have tablets from the gastro people at the hospital which help a lot when it kicks off. I get the odd flare up but now they tend to last days rather than months.
Reply 6
Uh-huh. But what have you tried to help with the symptoms?

I am sorry if you would mind me saying that I hate being asked such a question over and over. I hate my suffering being gaslit and invalidated.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I have the same thing and whilst I had a bad couple of years 2020-22 with it, it has settled down in a big way now. Small food changes (less grease, fewer tomatoes, fewer strong spices) and alleviating stress were the big ones for me. I also have tablets from the gastro people at the hospital which help a lot when it kicks off. I get the odd flare up but now they tend to last days rather than months.

I am also going through a rough patch in my life (having to contend with some abusive faculty staff setting me up to fail and a university bureaucracy shielding them while not having much to fall back on). I am not sure if this contributes to worsening of my symptoms. I tried to contact my GP, but their line is ridiculously busy and given that I have to spend most of my time in research lab I won't have that amount of time to waste on phone calls...Sigh.
Reply 8
I am sorry if you would mind me saying that I hate being asked such a question over and over. I hate my suffering being gaslit and invalidated.

I was asking so I could offers suggestions, not to gaslight or invalidate you.
Reply 9
I am also going through a rough patch in my life (having to contend with some abusive faculty staff setting me up to fail and a university bureaucracy shielding them while not having much to fall back on). I am not sure if this contributes to worsening of my symptoms. I tried to contact my GP, but their line is ridiculously busy and given that I have to spend most of my time in research lab I won't have that amount of time to waste on phone calls...Sigh.

I think it probably will be contributing, and in my experience, stress is the single biggest driver for how 'bad' my flare ups get, and for how long. I hope you get a bit of relief, it's no fun.
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
I think it probably will be contributing, and in my experience, stress is the single biggest driver for how 'bad' my flare ups get, and for how long. I hope you get a bit of relief, it's no fun.

Sometimes, I simply want someone to believe that IBS-D can be a crippling disability and that we deserve empathy and assistance rather than prejudice and gaslighting - kind of fed up with having been mistreated throughout my growth over this uncontrollable or incurable condition.
Reply 11
I was asking so I could offers suggestions, not to gaslight or invalidate you.

I don't always eat greasy food, rough veggies; milk is no-no; use loperamide to control symptoms etc.
I don't always eat greasy food, rough veggies; milk is no-no; use loperamide to control symptoms etc.

If you haven't already, it may be worth keeping a food and symptom diary for a few weeks to see if you can spot any patterns with other foods that you haven't realised may be causing issues. One thing in particular that may be worth looking at is sorbitol - can cause really bad cramps and diarrhoea.

For support and information, the IBS Network is really good, but you do have to pay to be a member.
Reply 13
If you haven't already, it may be worth keeping a food and symptom diary for a few weeks to see if you can spot any patterns with other foods that you haven't realised may be causing issues. One thing in particular that may be worth looking at is sorbitol - can cause really bad cramps and diarrhoea.

For support and information, the IBS Network is really good, but you do have to pay to be a member.

Yes, I know which food does not agree with me and have done my best to avoid, though this condition is such a spoiler ruining literally everything in my life. Too much has been lost and suffering incurred. I am not sure how the damages can be undone.
Reply 14
Sometimes, I simply want someone to believe that IBS-D can be a crippling disability and that we deserve empathy and assistance rather than prejudice and gaslighting - kind of fed up with having been mistreated throughout my growth over this uncontrollable or incurable condition.

It is incurable but there are ways it can be controlled. My GP recommended a food-combining diet for my IBS-D and in 10 days my condition massively improved. I have worked, and still do work, full-time jobs.
Reply 15
Original post by Surnia
It is incurable but there are ways it can be controlled. My GP recommended a food-combining diet for my IBS-D and in 10 days my condition massively improved. I have worked, and still do work, full-time jobs.

Yes, I agree. Rather, I would say that it kind of waxes and wanes...like if one is happy over a period, there would be kind of "improvement", but when it comes a stressful period and you happen to eat some food that does not agree with you, it can get pretty worse and become crippling...Too many folks are in denial of this condition or its potential severity that we are often mistaken as "underperforming" by ableists and having our career sabotaged...It is extremely unfair, makes my blood boil so much that I sometimes want to teach them a lesson.
11 years of IBS-D has crippled my social life due to the constant need of toilet use for defecation. This has caused me significant ******ation in emotional maturity and I am always anxious in social events and about complex or lengthy interactions, making me kind of an outcast. I can't recall how many prejudices, culminating in mistreatment by ableist professors that pushed me to the verge of termination of studies (in a research program), I have been subject to throughout my life.

I have missed uncountable opportunities since teenage which could have enriched my CV and helped me in career and house search because of IBS-D. It is hard to gauge the level of severe damage of this condition to my life. I have tremendous difficulties in both job and house search, which are necessary for survival.

This condition is incurable. I don't think I can live a normal life predicated on a stable job but have to either spend my life on benefits, which may not be granted, or parental sponsorship.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I sincerely hope things improve for you. It would definitely be worth getting a food intolerance test, so that you could understand what foods would be triggering you the most. Personally I'm not sure if I have IBS because I've never been diagnosed for it nor gone to the doctor about it, but I have had my fair share of stomach problems. I find that herbal teas such as Ginger & Lemon, Peppermint and Fennel Work great for me in regards to settling and easing an upset stomach. I also try to incorporate anti - bloat fruits into my diet (pineapple is the best for this) and also drink a lot of water. Another solution which has worked amazingly well is putting a spoon of psyllium husk (a super fibre) into a glass of water or milk - you'd be surprised at how well this works. In addition to all this, try to eat clean and avoid processed foods.

In regards to the job aspect, it would seem that remote working would be the best option for the time being and at least then you wont have to deal with the stress of going to the bathroom at work. Similarly for your Cv there are plenty of online courses, competitions and opportunities you can still pursue from the comfort of your home. I am aware that a lot of my solutions are you working from home, but I say this as a starting point from which you can find ways to improve your condition and slowly develop things further. Whilst I have stated solutions that I have tried and tested over many years, I do admit that stress is probably the biggest contributing factor in all this and for that reason I would say to try and find ways to manage that too (join an exercise group, play games, meditation etc) whatever works for you really - I hope you get better soon and find something that works for you.
Reply 17
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I sincerely hope things improve for you. It would definitely be worth getting a food intolerance test, so that you could understand what foods would be triggering you the most. Personally I'm not sure if I have IBS because I've never been diagnosed for it nor gone to the doctor about it, but I have had my fair share of stomach problems. I find that herbal teas such as Ginger & Lemon, Peppermint and Fennel Work great for me in regards to settling and easing an upset stomach. I also try to incorporate anti - bloat fruits into my diet (pineapple is the best for this) and also drink a lot of water. Another solution which has worked amazingly well is putting a spoon of psyllium husk (a super fibre) into a glass of water or milk - you'd be surprised at how well this works. In addition to all this, try to eat clean and avoid processed foods.

In regards to the job aspect, it would seem that remote working would be the best option for the time being and at least then you wont have to deal with the stress of going to the bathroom at work. Similarly for your Cv there are plenty of online courses, competitions and opportunities you can still pursue from the comfort of your home. I am aware that a lot of my solutions are you working from home, but I say this as a starting point from which you can find ways to improve your condition and slowly develop things further. Whilst I have stated solutions that I have tried and tested over many years, I do admit that stress is probably the biggest contributing factor in all this and for that reason I would say to try and find ways to manage that too (join an exercise group, play games, meditation etc) whatever works for you really - I hope you get better soon and find something that works for you.

I have also applied for disability benefits since I know I won't be able to get a full-time job...
Original post by Surnia

Not true. It Is Curable, I’ve done it. Best online group on subject is SIBO SOS. Over 80% of ibs is actually SIBO, which is Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. If you can get in to a doctor who specializes in the Colon, call first to make sure they carry a test to see if you do have SIBO. The cure (often) is to take 2 rounds of antibiotic Xifaxan (generic is Rifaximin). If that doesn’t work or, you can’t afford a doctor... you can go on a Keto (Ketogenic) diet for ~ 2 months to kill off the bad bacteria. Then, Slowly reintroduce carbs back into your diet. You honestly can get your life back. * Another good no source is Mark Pimentel M.D. from Cedars Sinai medical center in New York. (Were both in USA). He’s probably done the most research on IBS & Sibo & has a high success rate. Just google his name + IBS SIBO to read about his protocol. Good luck!

Please scroll down to my response to Syrnia, who says that IBS is incurable. Not True!! I’ve done it by going on a Ketogenic diet for a few months. *Be sure to do a Paleo form of Keto diet so you are eating healthy foods. It matters, because those w/ IBS often have nutritional deficiencies from eating a limited range of foods or, not enough food. * Over 80 % of IBS is actually SIBO. Please see my post to syrnia for more info. You really can get better/ get your life back.

Latest