The Student Room Group

got an interview for somewhere but already accepted a job elsewhere?

hey all, got myself in a situation and looking for any advice.

basically i’m poor and need a job over summer in order to afford my rent next year. i started applying while at uni, and interviewing the second i got home, I gave it a few days but after my 3 interviews I only had 1 job offer and i accepted. It’s at a cinema in the centre and pays me £8/hr.

I have however just been offered a second interview at a restaurant also in the centre. It’s a very nice place. Similar opening hours to the cinema and similar distance from me. They however pay £10/hr+ tips. But as i said it’s a very nice place and they definitely do get tips, i believe there’s an automatic 10% service charge on every bill, and it’s expensive food and drinks. The manager told me they calculate it every year and the average tips works out to £3/hr after splitting. So total target salary of £13/hr.

I don’t really know what to do, I think i might go to the interview, because at the moment i don’t even have that job. But if i get it, that’s a huge salary difference. I’ll be working 20ish hours a week at both places, so base salary that’s already £40 a week difference,£500 pound over the course of summer. Add in a possible £3/hr in tips, that’s another £60, £700 over summer.

How would i even go about leaving the first job? I’ve signed the contract, I’d feel awful handing in my notice straight away, they’ve got me booked in shifts later this week. Really not sure what to do.
Reply 1
If you feel bad, thats on you. But always think what will benefit you most. Go on to that job interview, if you pass thats great and quit the job you accepted. It's business, and you as an employee is replaceable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending