The Student Room Group

Maths and archaeology

Hiya. I'm currently at the Manchester College doing the Access course in Ancient History and Archaeology. I intend to study archaeology. I have level 2 entry level maths, and I'm studying GCSE level maths, though it isn't going well. Maths has always been a thorn in my side. I know geometry and measurements will be a major feature, which I am good at, but what about the rest of it? If I get mostly Merits and Distinctions in my assignments, will that go in my favour? Will it help that I have a real interest and dedication to this subject? If it's going to be a problem, is it worth busting my ass for the next year at college to apply to study at university for a degree I have no hope of getting? Any help will be gratefully received
Original post by Earthchild
Hiya. I'm currently at the Manchester College doing the Access course in Ancient History and Archaeology. I intend to study archaeology. I have level 2 entry level maths, and I'm studying GCSE level maths, though it isn't going well. Maths has always been a thorn in my side. I know geometry and measurements will be a major feature, which I am good at, but what about the rest of it? If I get mostly Merits and Distinctions in my assignments, will that go in my favour? Will it help that I have a real interest and dedication to this subject? If it's going to be a problem, is it worth busting my ass for the next year at college to apply to study at university for a degree I have no hope of getting? Any help will be gratefully received

Maths probably at this point mainly just a requirement for admission and as long as you can pass your GCSE Maths (doesn't matter if it's foundation or higher, normally you just need to meet a minimum requirement - often a 5 - in maths and then you're fine).

In terms of how much maths you're likely to encounter in an archaeology degree, @Sandtrooper may be able to advise more on that. I would imagine it depends a lot on the kind of archaeology you choose to focus on (e.g. more quantitative approaches involving GIS or statistical analyses might involve more maths).
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for that. I will have a a look at Sand trooper. I hope to either teach archaeology or work in a natural history museum - whichever opportunity comes first
Hey, thanks for that. I will have a a look at Sand trooper. I hope to either teach archaeology or work in a natural history museum - whichever opportunity comes first

Hi there! I did Egyptology (not purely archaeology) but I can definitely advise. You'll need limited mathematical ability for archaeology, but I say that with a pinch of salt, as it really depends what kind of archaeology you want to do. Some people do statistical analysis, and you can use coding languages such as R and Python. Also, backend GIS and remote sensing (tools used in some archaeological research) require a basic level of maths. However, for the most part, you really won't need it, aside from basic stuff, unless you're doing this kind of geospatial analysis. So, I really wouldn't worry unless that's what you want to do. If it's not an entry requirement, you're fine! What universities are you looking at?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply. I am looking at Manchester, York and UCLAN

I think you will be completely fine; there's actually only small differences between a BA and BSc, and because people come into archaeology from very different backgrounds, classes don't really assume any pre-requisite knowledge. You could probably do your entire degree without any maths at all (although you might need to measure stuff for digs).

Also, I'm biased but you should look at Liverpool, too! Similar grade boundaries to the ones you've listed.

Hi there @Earthchild, :smile:

How are you? It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Archaeology here at UCLan!

Entry requirements to our BSc (Hons) Archaeology course include:

-UCAS: 104-112 points at A2
-BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM
-BTEC Diploma: D*D-D*D*
-Pass Access Course: 104-112 UCAS Points
-International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass including 104-112 points from Higher Level Subjects
-T Level: M
-IELTS: 6.0 with no component lower than 5.5
-GCSEs: 5 at grade C/4 including Maths and English or equivalent

If you would like to have a chat about our entry requirements with our friendly course enquiries team you can contact them by email at [email protected].

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending