The Student Room Group

Deleted

Deleted
(edited 7 months ago)
I understand why you're feeling frustrated. It's always disappointing to make silly mistakes, especially in a subject that you're passionate about.

It sounds like you're a hard worker and you're clearly capable of achieving great things. The fact that you got an A* in History overall is a testament to your skills and knowledge.

One thing that might help is to try to identify the specific reasons why you made the mistakes in your History paper 2. Were you feeling stressed or anxious? Did you not have enough time to complete the questions? Did you misunderstand the instructions? Once you know the reasons for your mistakes, you can start to develop strategies to avoid them in the future.

For example, if you were feeling stressed or anxious, you could try some relaxation techniques before your exams. If you didn't have enough time to complete the questions, you could practice time management skills. And if you misunderstood the instructions, you could make sure to read them carefully and ask for clarification if you're not sure what they mean and if you want to discuss it with me so you can!

It's also important to remember that everyone makes mistakes, even the best students. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not let them discourage you. Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll achieve your goals.

As for your GCSE grade, I know it's disappointing that your teacher's predicted grade wasn't awarded. However, it's important to remember that the exam board's decision is based on a much larger sample of your work. It's possible that you had a bad day on the day of your exam, or that the questions were particularly challenging.

Don't let this one setback discourage you from pursuing a degree in History. If you're passionate about the subject and you're willing to work hard, I'm sure you'll be successful.
Original post by katie080705
I know this is going to sound annoying but it’s really getting to me because History is a subject I’m so passionate about and want to be a History teacher. Basically in my A levels this year I did achieve an A* in History (thank god) as I got 37/40 in coursework, 78/80 in paper 1, but in paper 2 I got 57/80. I know 57/80 is an A but on that paper I had a complete meltdown and misread segregationist for secessionist in one of the questions and in the others I missed out so many important points I intended to use. It’s just really annoying me because I know that if this hadn’t happened I would have achieved an almost perfect score. Another thing is that because of COVID with the predicted grades for GCSE, my teacher put me forward for a 9 as that is what I was consistently getting but the exam board put my final grade at a 7. It’s so irritating because I put everything into this subject and make the silliest mistakes and it is making me doubt myself so much for taking it as a degree.
My teachers have also requested my script so they’re all going to see how stupid I am.

You're being too hard in yourself. You've recognised your mistakes, now move on and make sure you don't repeat them. 😃
Reply 4
Original post by Alan Foster
I understand why you're feeling frustrated. It's always disappointing to make silly mistakes, especially in a subject that you're passionate about.

It sounds like you're a hard worker and you're clearly capable of achieving great things. The fact that you got an A* in History overall is a testament to your skills and knowledge.

One thing that might help is to try to identify the specific reasons why you made the mistakes in your History paper 2. Were you feeling stressed or anxious? Did you not have enough time to complete the questions? Did you misunderstand the instructions? Once you know the reasons for your mistakes, you can start to develop strategies to avoid them in the future.

For example, if you were feeling stressed or anxious, you could try some relaxation techniques before your exams. If you didn't have enough time to complete the questions, you could practice time management skills. And if you misunderstood the instructions, you could make sure to read them carefully and ask for clarification if you're not sure what they mean and if you want to discuss it with me so you can!

It's also important to remember that everyone makes mistakes, even the best students. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not let them discourage you. Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll achieve your goals.

As for your GCSE grade, I know it's disappointing that your teacher's predicted grade wasn't awarded. However, it's important to remember that the exam board's decision is based on a much larger sample of your work. It's possible that you had a bad day on the day of your exam, or that the questions were particularly challenging.

Don't let this one setback discourage you from pursuing a degree in History. If you're passionate about the subject and you're willing to work hard, I'm sure you'll be successful.

Thankyou! I think it was a combination of stress and misunderstanding the question as I was panicking so much which may be why I read the word as something else.
Unfortunately the GCSE grade was because of COVID so the only exams I sat were teacher accessed and I got a 9 in all of them so the teacher put me forward for a 9 but the exam board put it at a 7 without proof for that grade so I’m more mad I didn’t appeal it haha.
Yeah I get you, I don’t want it to affect me doing my degree so I guess the best thing is to try and ignore it but it’s just annoying knowing I could have done so much better.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
You're being too hard in yourself. You've recognised your mistakes, now move on and make sure you don't repeat them. 😃

Yes, you’re probably right haha. Very annoying that I want everything to be perfect 😂

Quick Reply

Latest