The Student Room Group

Could I get an interview for Uni of Birmingham based on these results?

I got 2840 band 1 in the UCAT. Birmingham uni is my preferred choice for medicine. Would I be able to get an offer based on this for 2024 entry?
My predicted grades are A*A*A
My GCSE grades were: 9999888777(including nines in maths bio and chem)
Original post by shreya12345
I got 2840 band 1 in the UCAT. Birmingham uni is my preferred choice for medicine. Would I be able to get an offer based on this for 2024 entry?
My predicted grades are A*A*A
My GCSE grades were: 9999888777(including nines in maths bio and chem)

The question is whether they will invite you for interview… https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx
Check this with all of your information: the following are rough estimates…
——————-
The weighting will be: 45% academic, 40% UCAT and 15% contextual
for gcse, you get max or close to max score

for ucat:
Guidance on UCAT scoring
Total UCAT score /Decile Converted score
Your score is around 9/10th decile, 3.5 or 4, close to max as their UCAT table is from 2021

Contextual - check if your school is a contextual school, and your POLAR 4 -

————————
Selection for interview is determined by ranking applicants according to the total application score (combination of GCSE, UCAT and contextual scores, with a maximum of 10). We expect to interview over 1,100 standard applicants.

If this ranking does not allow us to identify an exact cut-off, we will rank applicants with the same score according to their UCAT results (focusing primarily on the score for Verbal Reasoning).
———
We can assume your score around 7 to 8 academic, need the contextual

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/documents/college-mds/medical-school/mbchb-admissions-statistics-sept-2022.pdf
(edited 8 months ago)
IMG_5258.jpeg
Original post by BankaiGintoki
IMG_5258.jpeg

Thank you very much this is useful! I put in this information on the offer calculator and it said I was likely to get an interview but I’m not sure since it’s so competitive nowadays. I also think I fall into the contextual part cus my previous school is on the list, but I don’t know if this will drastically affect my chances?
Thank you very much this is useful! I put in this information on the offer calculator and it said I was likely to get an interview but I’m not sure since it’s so competitive nowadays. I also think I fall into the contextual part cus my previous school is on the list, but I don’t know if this will drastically affect my chances?

with medicine, it is always a chance whether you get the interview.
For example, queen mary will only interview people with a UCAT score above the third decile. (7th to 10th)
Just because your score is above the third decile doesnt mean queen mary will give an interview.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5

Ignore their offer calculator. Notoriously unreliable.

You need to see if your 7s are in required subjects https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx . If not you score 4.5 on gcses. If they are, you need to work out as: (total brum gcse score) / 28 x 4.5

3.556 or 3.111 ucat depending on whether you fall into their 9th or 8th decile (based on their applicants so this is an unknown factor).

Last years cut off was around 8.1 so any contextual points definitely helpful.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
with medicine, it is always a chance whether you get the interview.
For example, queen mary will only interview people with a UCAT score above the third decile. (7th to 10th)
Just because your score is above the third decile doesnt mean queen mary will give an interview.

Yeah I've noticed medicine is all about chance. I guess we'll find out... Thank you very much!
Reply 7
Yeah I've noticed medicine is all about chance. I guess we'll find out... Thank you very much!

No it's not chance. At least for most where there are clear rules on the procedure for selection at interview. Look at the info, apply strategically, look to minimise risks of not interviewing, make sure you have things to talk about at interview and prepare thoroughly for interview
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Justapapa
No it's not chance. At least for most where there are clear rules on the procedure for selection at interview. Look at the info, apply strategically, look to minimise risks of not interviewing, make sure you have things to talk about at interview and prepare thoroughly for interview

Alright thanks, what would 3.9 mean for the GCSE part?
Reply 9
Alright thanks, what would 3.9 mean for the GCSE part?

Sorry I don't understand the question?
Sorry I don't understand the question?

You mentioned an equation earlier to calculate my GCSE score for Birmingham uni and I got 3.9. Do you know what that means?
You mentioned an equation earlier to calculate my GCSE score for Birmingham uni and I got 3.9. Do you know what that means?

Presumably that you scored 3.9/4.5 x 28 = 24 points on the raw gcse score, so had to count 2 of your 7s?

For their overall scoring you need to add on the points for the ucat and any contextual points you are eligible for. Then assess where you are relative to last year's cut off of 8.1. If at 8.1 risky. 8.5 or above safe. Below 8.1 would be hopeful. You've got great stats and could pretty much guarantee 4 interviews if strategic
Presumably that you scored 3.9/4.5 x 28 = 24 points on the raw gcse score, so had to count 2 of your 7s?

For their overall scoring you need to add on the points for the ucat and any contextual points you are eligible for. Then assess where you are relative to last year's cut off of 8.1. If at 8.1 risky. 8.5 or above safe. Below 8.1 would be hopeful. You've got great stats and could pretty much guarantee 4 interviews if strategic

Yes I got 2 sevens in English. Would you recommend any other unis that would favour my results then?
Yes I got 2 sevens in English. Would you recommend any other unis that would favour my results then?

Suggest you post in https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527 after reading the starting post and including all the details outlined
Suggest you post in https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527 after reading the starting post and including all the details outlined

Alright thank you very much I will have a look!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending