The Student Room Group

Should I include gaming?

I want to use video games as my attention grabber for my personal statement, but I don't know if it would be entirely appropriate. I'm applying for computer science, and video games were the source of where I started to learn programming, but I'm afraid of giving the wrong impression. Any advice?
Reply 1
As long as you can tie it up in a professional manner and you talk about the programming part more than the gaming part I don't see why not.
A personal statement is for showing off your passions and why you care about the subject and if gaming is what got you interested in comp-sci then talk about why and how!
Reply 2
You will not have any issues with your statement. On the contrary they will like it.
Original post by AhmedK86
I want to use video games as my attention grabber for my personal statement, but I don't know if it would be entirely appropriate. I'm applying for computer science, and video games were the source of where I started to learn programming, but I'm afraid of giving the wrong impression. Any advice?

What about gaming made you want to learn programming? How did it inspire you?
What did it make you want to do in your own programming projects? How did it make you think about the consumer (what different people may want when playing a game)
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
What about gaming made you want to learn programming? How did it inspire you?
What did it make you want to do in your own programming projects? How did it make you think about the consumer (what different people may want when playing a game)

I’ll make sure to address these. Thanks so much!
Completely find so long as you avoid a superficial “I like gaming + I want to make games” stance. As above, lots of ways you can speak more substantially about how your interest has fed your motivation and suitability for the course.
Original post by AhmedK86

Hi!

Basically just agreeing with everyone above but as long as you go about it in the right way it will be completely fine. I'd suggest not lingering on the subject too long (personal statements are so short) and just briefly saying how it inspired you or how it has drawn you into the subject rather than mentioning any specific videogame or that you just love playing them :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending