The Student Room Group

Without A Reason

I don't get why some people just decide not to talk to you one day after an extensive friendship. I've had friends in the past who I got along really well with, but out of the blue they just decide to ignore me.

I think the passage of time has something to do with it, like if you haven't spoken to them for a while they'll become distant from you or something like that. I find this behaviour to be unreasonable and perhaps a bit cowardly. If people have a problem with you then telling them does a lot more help than ignoring them I think. If people don't like me and they tell me about it, then that's useful information to me, so I can get out of their way and they can get out of mine so we can move on.

Displaying ignorance seems inoffensive with no harm done, but it makes me think they're hiding their feelings because they're too scared to show them. Mind you I don't express my feelings towards others, mainly because I don't get the opportunity to do so, but also I don't want to create more conflict - which might be the reason why people simply ignore rather than confront.

What do you think, do you feel people who ignore you should stop hiding their true feelings, or would it be best to showcase them so that progress can truly be made?
Many casual friendships have a shelf-life.
Once this has expired, communication and all opportunities for direct interactions between the former friends will either end or be restricted to casual greetings for christmas/weddings/birthdays & short messages of condolence upon deaths of close relatives.

Over time as people move far away and their lifestyles change, they often have little in common with the friends of their schooldays & uni life.
People will also get annoyed, bored, lazy or disinterested.
Then decide to gradually end contact or just ignore all contact overtures/block online and then go completely NC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending