The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

The Official University of Sheffield Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by adhya_9
Just got an offer for aerospace engineering!

Well done! Are you happy with the grades wanted?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by adhya_9

Congrats!!!
Reply 22
Original post by adhya_9

omg congratulations!!!
Reply 23
Hi,

1) BTEC (international) engineering, IB Maths AAHL, IB Physics HL
2) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
3) iGCSEs: A*AA(CAIE)999998(Edexcel)D*(BTEC), Year 13 predicted: D*D*D*, 7, 7
4) I liked the look of the modules, especially the group project work and the wide variety in the final year
5) No admissions tests (I think)
6) Can't attend open days. Not in the country, I'm afraid.
7) Kinda nervous about starting uni
8) St Andrews, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham
Original post by Izzy-06
Hi, when you were applying to uni how did you decide which uni to put as your firm? I already have a few offers and am still waiting on a few but the whole decision seems so daunting. What specifically made you pick Sheffield over the other unis you applied to? Also which accommodation did you stay in for first year and what was your opinion of it?

Hi,
When I was applying to Uni, most Unis weren't doing open days because of covid so I only visited them after my application went in. When I did visit them, I realised I didn't like the feel of some of them so that made the decision easier.
I got into the University of Sheffield through clearing. After I had submitted my UCAS application, I realised I wanted to change which course I was going to study which impacted my university choices. I decided I wanted to do mathematics and philosophy at university which is not done at many universities across the country. This narrowed down my options, I then considered how far away from my parents house I wanted to be, for me it was close enough to be able to get the train easily for the holidays but too far to visit home every weekend. I also looked into the content of the course and how the modules would run and decide that the course I liked the most was Sheffield. So during clearing I called them and got an offer. I'm really happy with that decision and definitely think Sheffield was the right choice for me.
As Evie said, look at the location of the uni and whether its somewhere you could possible live. If you can you could visit the city for a weekend and see what the vibe of the place was, or visit an open day if you haven't already.
You could also have a look at what societies they offer or what is nearby to the area, for example Sheffield is very close to the Peak district and so you can easily visit for a day.
It can seem like an impossible decision but you do have time before you need to decide and even if you think you chose wrong you can always go through clearing if you want.
I didn't stay in Uni accommodation in my first year, I choose to stay in on of the Student Roost accommodation in Sheffield and have been able to stay there for all 3 years of my degree, I have really liked where I live and am very glad I didn't have to move every summer.
Hope that helps,
Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy)
Got my computer science with AI and placement year offer on Monday and to think i switched one of my options last minute to Sheffield and got an offer about 10 days later just makes it seem like fate so I'm really pleased.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by shadowblades
Got my computer science with AI and placement year offer on Monday and to think i switched one of my options last minute to Sheffield and got an offer about 10 days later just makes it seem like fate so I'm really pleased.

Got an offer as well bro on Monday, where else did you apply?
Original post by jamest0394q
Got an offer as well bro on Monday, where else did you apply?

aha well done man. got offers from Newcastle and Cardiff like a day after applying and am waiting on Southampton and Lboro. most likely will firm Sheffield anyway due to the student life and placement year which Southampton doesn't have.
aha well done man. got offers from Newcastle and Cardiff like a day after applying and am waiting on Southampton and Lboro. most likely will firm Sheffield anyway due to the student life and placement year which Southampton doesn't have.

Thank you bro
That sounds good well done to you also
Original post by jamest0394q
Thank you bro
That sounds good well done to you also

appreciate it
Reply 30
My daughter got her Conditional offer from Sheffield for Integrated masters in Biology today. Waiting for other offer status.
hello guys, if you have gotten an offer from sheffield, click here:Official University of Sheffield Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry - The Student Room and view other official offer holder threads here - Official Offer Holder Threads for 2024 - The Student Room
Original post by Izzy-06
Hi, when you were applying to uni how did you decide which uni to put as your firm? I already have a few offers and am still waiting on a few but the whole decision seems so daunting. What specifically made you pick Sheffield over the other unis you applied to? Also which accommodation did you stay in for first year and what was your opinion of it?

Hi Izzy,
I studied English Literature at The University of Sheffield in 2018-2021.
Sheffield was not my first choice originally. When I was in sixth form, I looked at mainly campus University's, and I was hoping to study American Studies with English. I was initially due to go and study at The University of Birmingham in 2017, and received an unconditional offer from them. However, when I got my results (AAC) I decided I wanted to defer. Sadly, Birmingham wouldn't permit me to do so, as the course was not running the following year. Therefore, I had to resit my English A Level - as many RG uni's required an A in English - and I then chose to reapply to universities that were slightly closer to home (Bradford). Essentially, this is what lead me to Sheffield, and they also didn't require an A, but a B (which felt more attainable). Why did I then make it my firm? After visiting on the open day, I felt Sheffield could make a really secure second home. So, if you haven't already, I would really encourage you to come visit us! We offer regular campus tours if you cannot attend an open day/offer holder day. The English admissions team were super friendly, and gave me a lot of reassurance and guidance with my re-application, which made me feel confident that as a student here, I would get plenty of support. I loved that the city could offer me the best of both worlds - the vibrancy of being a city, but also the serenity of it being surrounded by parks and on the doorstep of the peaks. Like many other students, I opted to live in Endcliffe, and I lived in the block called Curbar. This was a fairly quiet block, and I would have preferred something a bit more sociable. However, I managed to make loads of friends through joining the English society, and getting involved in campus league netball. My room in Endcliffe was lovely, and by putting up lots of photos and fairy lights, I made it feel really homely. Overall, my student experience (despite the pandemic getting in the way) was hands down, the best experience of my life!
I just wanted to share my story with you, as I faced setbacks and difficulties with my initial UCAS application, and Sheffield (in a way) 'came to the rescue'. I know the importance of making the right choice for you, and I really feel the best way to do this is by visiting the universities and cities to get a feel for what it could be like to live there.
Take your time - and go with your gut!
All the best with your journey!
Lydia

Student Recruitment Assistant
Reply 33
Got an offer for Aerospace Engineering this evening!
Reply 34
Original post by medic0975
Hi 😊.

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2024.

Meet and chat to other applicants applying here.

Here are some icebreaker questions, but feel free to ask whatever you want regarding Sheffield.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Sheffield do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Sheffield specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other unis you're interested in?

The general website for the university can be found here.

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Hi feel free to ask me ^U^
1) A-levels: Maths, Psychology, Economics, EPQ
2) Course: data science BSc, because I want to study applicable skills related to data science. It also has optional placement which is useful.
3) Grades: A-levels predicted - Maths A* Economics A Psychology A EPQ A*
IGCSE/GCSEs: 998A*7666 (in order: Maths, Further Maths, Japanese, Chinese first language, Psychology, Physics, Geography, ESOL)
4) Why Sheffield specifically: 1) I like the city vibe 2) Sheffield has a lower cost of living 3) within QS's top 110 4) Russell Group 5) has a kpop society 6) has a good student union
5) No admissions tests needed
6) I cannot attend open days in Sheffield because it is quite far away from where I currently live, but I can watch videos from the students there
7) How am I feeling about starting university: It would be a brand new experience for me in terms of city vibe, friendship group and studying there. I would catch every opportunity that is going to be useful to me there.
8) Other unis interested in: QMUL, Leeds, Bath and UCL
9) Others: I currently have con offers from QMUL and Sheffield. I am from China and have lived in the UK for 3 years.
Reply 35
I got an offer today (16th November 2023) from Sheffield for Data Science BSc and I submitted my application from 8th November
Reply 36
Original post by adhya_9

Congrats!
Reply 37
Original post by Karvin22
My daughter got her Conditional offer from Sheffield for Integrated masters in Biology today. Waiting for other offer status.

Congratulations!
Reply 38
Original post by KAMON YO

Congratulations!

Thank you.

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! I am Jivanthika, a current second year Computer Science and AI student. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or life in Sheffield!

Good luck on your exams :smile:
Jivanthika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending