The Student Room Group

Official Year 10 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
hiya for me i made sure i compiled a list of vocabulary from every section and made those into sets on quizlet. i also made sure i was doing a few exam questions along the way too.

I’ve decided to make revision cards as I go along for certain subjects but I didn’t think of making them online. Making Quizlet sets along with my revision cards makes so much more sense! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Moonlight:)
I’ve decided to make revision cards as I go along for certain subjects but I didn’t think of making them online. Making Quizlet sets along with my revision cards makes so much more sense! Thanks for the advice :smile:

no problem :biggrin:
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hiii my name is Iman and I’m from London
I’m taking Geography, Food Tech, Comp Sci, Spanish + private Turkish and Urdu (+ the compulsory ones ofc)
Hoping to get straight 9s, well at least 7+
Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne - Who Were We Running From
Quote: I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it
Reply 23
hi thanks for the thread ! i'm aimen

i'm currently taking :
- english lit & lang
- maths
- combined science
- spanish
- economics
- geography
- history

i'm aiming to get 8 and 9s in most, if not all, my subjects

i haven't watched anything as of late tbh but i would love some recs

my motivational quote is we cannot become what we want by remaining what we are
djlnfwljnw
so im in year 10 and im study everyday in moring and after 6pm and basically im tryna get majority 9s and these are my subjects
aqa eng lang and lit
aqa biology chemity and physics
edexcel maths
ocr computer science
aqa mandarin
edexcel business i think
so wuld i have enough time in those 2 years for 9s bc i study of spec and lots of website deeply and do exam style questions
Hi 👋

Getting into the routine of y10 now and starting up that hill toward exams in 2025.

My GCSE’s are -
English lit
English language
Maths
Further maths
Computer science
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
History
Geography
Photography
French

Working hard to achieve 8/9 in most if not all subjects 💪🤞

I don’t really watch much tv as I do a lot of sports when I’m not studying but I do like stranger things and anything sci fi/fantasy.

Invest in yourself today to reap the rewards tomorrow.
Original post by RandomOneOhOne
Hi 👋

Getting into the routine of y10 now and starting up that hill toward exams in 2025.

My GCSE’s are -
English lit
English language
Maths
Further maths
Computer science
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
History
Geography
Photography
French

Working hard to achieve 8/9 in most if not all subjects 💪🤞

I don’t really watch much tv as I do a lot of sports when I’m not studying but I do like stranger things and anything sci fi/fantasy.

Invest in yourself today to reap the rewards tomorrow.

hiya - welcomeeee! i love the ambitions you have set for yourself! and your quote - amazing!!
Hello Year Ten!

Just a quick message to say we've now got a directory of GCSE Study Groups available :smile:

These are subject-specific threads where you can chat with other students who are studying the same subjects as you, get some support, and offer help and friendly advice :biggrin: If there are any missing, feel free to create them and tag me in so I can add them to the directory.

Good luck with your first GCSE year!

Year Ten

Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

Hi! I am in Year 10 and this year I am taking my English Literature and Religious Studies GCSE. I got a 4 in my Religious Studies mock exam last year and a 5 in English Literature. Does anyone have any advice as i do hope to get a Grade 9 in both subjects??
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by pinkstrawberries
Hi! I am in Year 10 and this year I am taking my English Literature and Religious Studies GCSE. I got a 4 in my Religious Studies mock exam last year and a 5 in English Literature. Does anyone have any advice as i do hope to get a Grade 9 in both subjects??

Hello, I do both rs and english lit and here are some of my tips for it:

RS:
- Use your specification!!! It's basically a checklist telling you the info you need to know and which specific quotes you need to refer to
- Make concise notes/flashcards for each topic, this helps you to learn the content and it's something you can use to review content before an exam, try to summarise it because rs has a lot of topics and quotes to memorise
- Use past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports to help you understand the types of questions you will be asked, you can even use them to help you make flashcards/notes for your topics. It's also a great way to test your understanding on the topics
- Find a good revision guide if needed, cgp is good, but you can check out other books too like my revision notes or from pearson - but the main point is to find a resource that doesn't just give you the content for the sake of filling up pages, but to find a resource that gives you summarised and only the necessary notes that will actually give you understanding and help for your exams
- BBC bitesize, revision world and save my exams are great websites too

English lit: try to comment on
- Context (what was happening during the time the text was written)
- Themes (the main ideas throughout the text)
- Structure/form (the layout of the text and why this may be)
- Quotations from the text (so giving evidence for your points)
- Language techniques (like metaphors and juxtaposition)
- One-word focus (so zoom into a specific word in a quote and analyse it)
I also recommend looking at past papers/practice questions to get familiar with what you might get in the exam, and according to whatever themes or characters or poems you will be asked on, you can make small notes and review those. Extra things you can discuss can be tone + atmosphere, setting (place + time), foreshadowing or flashbacks, punctuation (like use of dashes or hyphens to emphasis a point or ellipses to leave a sinister tone) and contrast/irony.

I hope I helped!
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hello, I do both rs and english lit and here are some of my tips for it:

RS:
- Use your specification!!! It's basically a checklist telling you the info you need to know and which specific quotes you need to refer to
- Make concise notes/flashcards for each topic, this helps you to learn the content and it's something you can use to review content before an exam, try to summarise it because rs has a lot of topics and quotes to memorise
- Use past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports to help you understand the types of questions you will be asked, you can even use them to help you make flashcards/notes for your topics. It's also a great way to test your understanding on the topics
- Find a good revision guide if needed, cgp is good, but you can check out other books too like my revision notes or from pearson - but the main point is to find a resource that doesn't just give you the content for the sake of filling up pages, but to find a resource that gives you summarised and only the necessary notes that will actually give you understanding and help for your exams
- BBC bitesize, revision world and save my exams are great websites too

English lit: try to comment on
- Context (what was happening during the time the text was written)
- Themes (the main ideas throughout the text)
- Structure/form (the layout of the text and why this may be)
- Quotations from the text (so giving evidence for your points)
- Language techniques (like metaphors and juxtaposition)
- One-word focus (so zoom into a specific word in a quote and analyse it)
I also recommend looking at past papers/practice questions to get familiar with what you might get in the exam, and according to whatever themes or characters or poems you will be asked on, you can make small notes and review those. Extra things you can discuss can be tone + atmosphere, setting (place + time), foreshadowing or flashbacks, punctuation (like use of dashes or hyphens to emphasis a point or ellipses to leave a sinister tone) and contrast/irony.

I hope I helped!

tysm!! this was so helpful!!<3
Hello everyone,

1) Water Bottle (because obviously that's my real name) and Cambridge
2) English Language
English Literature
Maths
(hopefully) Further Maths
German
Economics
Computer Science
History
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

3)
Hopefully all 8 or 9 aside from Biology and both English as I do worse in those
4)
I don't really watch shows.
5)
I... don't use that sort of thing? Life is life, if I'm struggling some quote on an image isn't going to help

Anyway, thanks for making this thread - hope I can discuss some things here
Original post by WaterBottle195
1) Water Bottle (because obviously that's my real name) and Cambridge
2) English Language
English Literature
Maths
(hopefully) Further Maths
German
Economics
Computer Science
History
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

3)
Hopefully all 8 or 9 aside from Biology and both English as I do worse in those
4)
I don't really watch shows.
5)
I... don't use that sort of thing? Life is life, if I'm struggling some quote on an image isn't going to help

Anyway, thanks for making this thread - hope I can discuss some things here

welcome!!
Hello everyone,

Hello Year 10s, I am thinking of starting an online AQA Spanish Study group! if you are interested, please send me a private message with the title 'GCSE AQA Spanish Study Group' otherwise i wont accept your request :biggrin: (btw I am in year 13 and got an 8 in Spanish)

- i am also thinking of starting a french one as i got an 8 in that one too, but i will think about it :smile: (i study spanish at a level so it may be a bit easier for me todo spanish for now)
(edited 6 months ago)
hello everyone - i have an announcement!! i am a year 13 studying spanish a level, and i (alongside @whywegottastudy) am running a gcse spanish study group, for those of who might be struggling, need a bit of support or just wanna talk to new people :biggrin:! if you are interested, can you please join using this discord link - https://discord.gg/f4YdUgBb!

thanks, and make sure you spread the word (send me a private message if u have any questions),
emmanuella :smile:
Reply 35
Hello everyone,

Hi! it's amazing that you made this thread, it's going to be so helpful!

I'm taking triple sci, comp sci, spanish, geography and business and other core subjects!
- I'm hoping to get all 9s.
- I'm just re-watching gilmore girls! Love that show.
- quote - "the future starts today, not tomorrow"
Original post by anxnyx
Hi! it's amazing that you made this thread, it's going to be so helpful!

I'm taking triple sci, comp sci, spanish, geography and business and other core subjects!
- I'm hoping to get all 9s.
- I'm just re-watching gilmore girls! Love that show.
- quote - "the future starts today, not tomorrow"

would you like to join the spanish study group? :smile:
Reply 37
would you like to join the spanish study group? :smile:

i'd love to!
Original post by anxnyx

i'd love to!

Alr send me a private message with your email!!
Original post by anxnyx

i'd love to!

or just press the discord link above

Quick Reply

Latest