The Student Room Group

Enrollment eligibility

Hi

I am enrolled and working on my second part of my final module on a bachelors degree . I originally enrolled pre covid in January 2020 and quantitatively (total consecutive enrollment time ) have been enrolled for 10 Trimesters , I am on my tenth trimester . Arguably , 10 trimesters is still under 4 years & this is including ABS ( counting Authorized break from study ) . Bear in mind , when I first enrolled my Career, financial and personal circumstances were different . Due to covid , redundancy , mental health and a bereavement , there are three authorised breaks from study
For Clarity here is a timeline
Academic year 2019~2020 Enrol in Jan 2020 (Last trimester 3 of 3 ) One Module (referred to following year due to covid)
Academic year 2020~2021 Enrol March enrolled and completed trimester 1 & 3 , Trimester 2 ABS ( Redundancy/ work related)
Academic year 2021-2022 Enrolled Mar , dropped with ABS until following year ( mental health/ illness) )
Academic year 2022~2023 Enrolled Mar , Completed two trimesters , third trimester ABS ( continued Mental health )
Academic year 2023-2024 Enrolled March , due to finish August

SFE says they will not fund the 2023~2024 year , since I have been on the course for over four years . Well this is arguable isn't it ? As I said above if we aggregate quantitatively , this is under four years , at the time of the enrollment (if 1 year is 3 trimesters , then I enrolled for 10 trimesters = 3 & 1/3 years ) . Furthermore the ten trimesters is including auhorised breaks from study , should this be included in total enrollment time?

Secondly
Strangely, despite earlier ( back in 2022) receiving a letter of Finance entitlement after being awarded for the 2021/2022 year , SFE have gone back on their decision to fund the year .. I received an email on march the 22nd (last week) this year to say they will not be funding the 21/22 year ..
In SFE's words "You’re not entitled to funding from student finance as you’re studying at less than 25% intensity of the full-time equivalent course. Part-time students must be studying at least 25% of the full-time equivalent of their course each academic year to be eligible for student finance.
From memory In the 21/22 Year , I enrolled , originally intending to be studying 3 modules ( 20 credits per module ) . However I actually enrolled for one module , then had an Authorized break due to mental illness (depression signed off from work ) . I was then granted an authorized break until the following academic year .
So my first question, is mental ill health compelling argument for this 25% clause ?

This has irked me for several reasons
1 . The substantial time it has taken for overturning a decision
2. This retrospective decision , has coincided with a further decision not to fund me any further for the final module ( for the 23/24) , despite being on my very last assignment as I write this
3. The total amount for the 21~22 & 23~24 year will cost £2650 and I am currently on Universal credit , so going to be painful paying this

Do I have compelling reasons to appeal ?
Hi there,

I would advise you to contact us either on live chat or by call as we cannot access accounts on this platform and we need someone to review you account and previous applications. To access our live chat service select undergraduate and then ‘contact us’. From here you will be able to use our live chat service when it is available. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 for further assistance. Our opening hours are stated on our ‘contact us’ page.

Thanks, Drew
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending