The Student Room Group

Official Year 10 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

I don't know if this is the right place to talk about this but I want to know how to find/apply for work experience because even though our work experience is in July, a lot of my friends have already sorted theirs out and they said that places run out quite quickly. I want to do something software engineering/comp sci related but don't know exactly where to find that stuff.
Reply 41
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hiii!! My name's Isabella and I'm from London

For GCSE I'm taking:
- English lang
- English lit
- Maths
- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics (triple or double science is decided at the start of Y11 in my school)
- R.E
- Geography
- Spanish
- Art

In Y11 I'm obviously hoping to get all 8s and 9s but I'll be happy as long as they're all 7+

I'm watching Brooklyn 99 on Netflix but I'm more actively watching The Summer I Turned Pretty on Prime Video and I recommend it so much!!

Finally, a motivational quote is, "Living is the art of getting used to what we didn't expect" - Eleanor C. Wood :smile:
Original post by b4lla
Hiii!! My name's Isabella and I'm from London

For GCSE I'm taking:
- English lang
- English lit
- Maths
- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics (triple or double science is decided at the start of Y11 in my school)
- R.E
- Geography
- Spanish
- Art

In Y11 I'm obviously hoping to get all 8s and 9s but I'll be happy as long as they're all 7+

I'm watching Brooklyn 99 on Netflix but I'm more actively watching The Summer I Turned Pretty on Prime Video and I recommend it so much!!

Finally, a motivational quote is, "Living is the art of getting used to what we didn't expect" - Eleanor C. Wood :smile:

hello welcome :biggrin:, i am also from london!
(edited 6 months ago)
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

Hi, I hope it’s alright if I join in lol. My name’s Maia and I’m from the South East! :smile:

I’m taking…
English language
English literature
Mathematics
Combined Science
History
German

It’s a bit less than other people but I’m homeschooled so it all costs quite a bit per subject. I’m hoping for 8s and 9s in Year 11 but we’ll see!

Uhh, latest show I watched on Netflix was infamy but I’m not rlly sure how I feel about it. I was confused by the bit with Tagar towards the end but I couldn’t find anything online abt it lol

I’m not sure what my favourite quote is tbh! But I just try to remember that you’ll always get there in the end it probably won’t be exactly how you wanted things to go but you *will* get there. It just takes time :smile:
Hello everyone,

I think i've got the wierdest ones, but yeah.

Maths
English Literature
English Language
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
History
Geography
Computer Science
Religious Studies
Spanish
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by romeoandjuliets
hi thanks for the thread ! i'm aimen

i'm currently taking :
- english lit & lang
- maths
- combined science
- spanish
- economics
- geography
- history

i'm aiming to get 8 and 9s in most, if not all, my subjects

i haven't watched anything as of late tbh but i would love some recs

my motivational quote is we cannot become what we want by remaining what we are

youre probably the first person who doenst go to my school that does both geogharpy and history omg
Hello everyone,

Hi everyone!!
I'm taking:
. the compulsory subjects (high tier)
. french
. history
. computing
. drama
. business
I really hope to get nine 9s but I'll be happy with one or two 8s as well 😅
The latest Netflix show I've watched and am still watching is The Devil's Plan which is this Korean game should which consists of many brain games, played by some very intelligent people lol.
My go-to affirmation is
oh dear it seems like my affirmation got cut off or something...but it's "Life isn't science, it's a piece of art"
Original post by randogirl6
Hi everyone!!
I'm taking:
. french
. history
. computing
. drama
. business
The latest Netflix show I've watched and am still watching is The Devil's Plan which is this Korean game should which consists of many brain games, played by some very intelligent people lol.
My go-to affirmation is
Original post by randogirl6
Hi everyone!!
I'm taking:
. french
. history
. computing
. drama
. business
My go-to affirmation is

welcome! i love the affirmation btw :smile:
welcome! can you explain the affirmation?
Hello everyone,

hello, if any of you guys are struggling with Spanish - take a look at the post i made here! i kind of just summarised everything i did! i know resources are very hard to find :frown: - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7409669#post98873987 :smile: - you can use this advice for french as well, as i also did gcse french and got the same grade!
Hello everyone,

Hi I'm Weronika.I live in Cheshire (By the boarder of Wales). I started year 10 and i chose 4 GCSE subjects which are : Spanish, Music , Small animal care and Geography . Obviously you have to do English Literature and language with all of the science and Maths (Which i am doing a higher one). I'm hoping that ill get 6-9 in my Exams Plus i am doing a Polish GCSE in my school since i Speak it at home with my family. The quote i like to use on a Monday morning is "Wake up and try to have fun which will speed the day up and if your having fun then the weekend will come by faster".
hello, if any of you guys are struggling with Spanish - take a look at the post i made here! i kind of just summarised everything i did! i know resources are very hard to find :frown: - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7409669#post98873987 :smile: - you can use this advice for french as well, as i also did gcse french and got the same grade!

This is very useful . Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Picoletta08
This is very useful . Thank you. :smile:

no problem!
It means that life isn't something that naturally happens and so you can't control, you can design your life through your own decisions, almost like art. The science part of life makes it exist but it's your choices and actions that make it worth living (sort of like art?!)
Original post by WaterBottle195
welcome! can you explain the affirmation?
Hello everyone,

hello all :smile: - hope you are enjoying your half term! here is a study playlist featuring a motivational podcast episode that will help you get into the workflow! enjoy <3! also, let me know of any song requests you may have that you want me to add to the playlist x! - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5tiGltSdLkgfkntsHNNDVW?si=8794a736210e43af (for the podcast ep, i recommend starting at 2:14)

regards,
emmanuella :biggrin:

check out my gyg journal: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7404622
(edited 6 months ago)
heya all!

good luck in year 10 to everyone reading this, if you need some help with studying techniques ive been trying out lots of different techniques so send me a pm and i can give you some hopefully helpful reccomendations!

i wanted to put forward a very useful recourse i found specifically useful for chemistry: https://www.tutormyself.com

this site is for the igcse edexel syllabus so make sure to cross refrence with your own specification to make sure you're learning the right content!
How is everyone getting on so far this year?

Things have been pretty good for me so far…Had a parents eve last week and I’m currently working at 8 or 9 for most things and 7 for a couple which I’m trying to push up so I’m pleased so far. No official cpg (current progress grades) until December when we have done more assessments etc.
Trying to make sure I make all my notes as I work through each topic so I do them while things are fresh in my mind. Then when I come to revisit or revise I can condense them.
Also trying to make sure I still do stuff with my friends and play as much footy as I can. Time management is making it possible but life feels rather regimented at present. I’d rather that though than chaotic stress of work or missing out on seeing friends!
(edited 5 months ago)
I'm not doing so bad, I'm on top of all the things I'm studying and I'm pretty happy with my progress in exams so far. I'm making an effort to do things outside of just academics like the dofe award, so I'm doing that too.

For us, our cpg comes out sometime during December too because by that time teachers would have a good idea of progress and what grades we are expected to have.

Quick Reply

Latest