The Student Room Group

Official Year 10 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hiii
My name's Petra, I'm from London, and I'm a Year 10 (2023-24).
For GCSEs, I chose:

Health and Social Care (I regret picking this sm!)

Astronomy (I do this outside of school)

Apart from those two, I do:

Maths, English, Science (obv)

Spanish

RS

History

Computer Science

Aiming for:

All 9s 🙏🏾.

Currently watching:

Gilmore Girls and Hi Bye Mama.

Favourite motivational quote:

"The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows"- Sydney J. Harris

How's the year going for everyone so far?
I did my RS PPE (for early entry) on Friday and it went amazingly. I'm not in the clear yet though, because apparently, we're doing paper 2 sometime before Christmas 😭
Btw, is there anyone that's done/is anyone doing GCSE Astronomy? It's fun and all, but since it's such a rare subject opportunity, there isn't that much information on the course and I only have classes once a week on Sundays. Plus, the classes don't feel serious at all because it isn't in an actual school. I don't regret taking up the subject or anything, but I'm kinda worried that won't be able to get the grade I want in the GCSE exam.
Also, I hate health and social care this year. My teacher from last year left for her Ph.D. and the new teacher quit after a month (but that's okay because she was really bad, we did the same lesson every week and she'd say she "didn't remember covering it"). The replacement they got us is worse though, she just stands at the front saying she's going to "observe our behaviour" (bear in mind this is a double lesson and she still expects the class to sit there in silence while she doesn't teach). It's such a high-content subject and the coursework is essay-based so if I don't have notes I'm done for. And I can barely find anything online! Our C1 coursework is coming up and I literally have no idea how the whole thing works, how I'm supposed to structure my writing, and what would make the essay good. If anyone has any info on this at all I'd be so grateful!!
Oh, and is anyone doing DofE? What skills/physical/volunteering are you doing? How are you prepping for the expedition? If you've done it already, is the expedition really difficult? I'm doing my bronze this year and I'm excited.
I feel like I've ranted enough lol.
@emm4nuella Thanks so much for making this thread btw!
Original post by academ!cweapon
Hiii
For GCSEs, I chose:

Spanish

RS

History

Computer Science

Aiming for:

All 9s 🙏🏾.

Currently watching:

"The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows"- Sydney J. Harris

I did my RS PPE (for early entry) on Friday and it went amazingly. I'm not in the clear yet though, because apparently, we're doing paper 2 sometime before Christmas 😭
Btw, is there anyone that's done/is anyone doing GCSE Astronomy? It's fun and all, but since it's such a rare subject opportunity, there isn't that much information on the course and I only have classes once a week on Sundays. Plus, the classes don't feel serious at all because it isn't in an actual school. I don't regret taking up the subject or anything, but I'm kinda worried that won't be able to get the grade I want in the GCSE exam.
Also, I hate health and social care this year. My teacher from last year left for her Ph.D. and the new teacher quit after a month (but that's okay because she was really bad, we did the same lesson every week and she'd say she "didn't remember covering it"). The replacement they got us is worse though, she just stands at the front saying she's going to "observe our behaviour" (bear in mind this is a double lesson and she still expects the class to sit there in silence while she doesn't teach). It's such a high-content subject and the coursework is essay-based so if I don't have notes I'm done for. And I can barely find anything online! Our C1 coursework is coming up and I literally have no idea how the whole thing works, how I'm supposed to structure my writing, and what would make the essay good. If anyone has any info on this at all I'd be so grateful!!
Oh, and is anyone doing DofE? What skills/physical/volunteering are you doing? How are you prepping for the expedition? If you've done it already, is the expedition really difficult? I'm doing my bronze this year and I'm excited.

Hii, I'm doing silver DofE! Hopefully we can catch up later - I haven't started expedition yet (not until april) but we have a training day to prepare in a few months
Reply 82
how is year 10 going so far (if you have started!)!

ugh its terrible. so many people are judgy especially girls! even my own friends are bothering me ☹️ even the teachers and don't get me started on the amount of homework you get. How is your year going atm?
Reply 83
hiiii!
i'm from london, i'm in year 10, for gcses i'm taking:
-triple science
-add maths :,(
-english lit + lang
-french
-history
-art (icl i regret this sm!!)
-latin
I'm aiming for all 9's!! currently rewatching a ton of ghibli movies, and i don't rlly have a fav motivational quote.

as for how the year's going... not great, not really the academic comeback i was hoping for :frown:((. i'm getting better grades this year bc I actually started to listen in class, but i'm pretty stressed for Art, i'd be on top of revision +hw if not for it, and atp dropping it isn't really an option. if any of you are taking it, how do you stay on top of things? and if you start off badly in your sketchbook does that affect your overall final grade or is it good to show progress?
ALSO idk about everyone else but i'm finding french orals hard af!! my pronunciation is bs, my flashcards are bad and rushed, and i usually forget what i'm supposed to be saying and then it doesn't make any sense.. any tips??
as usual i'm doing trash at physics, i need to get my grades up if i wanna go to a good uni, but that's not very surprising icl
Oh, as for DoFe.. i'm supposed to be doing silver rn, but im alr so behind on bronze :frown:(
i'd also appreciate any tips or general info on work experience if y'all have done it yet!!!
Reply 84
Hiii
For GCSEs, I chose:

Spanish

RS

History

Computer Science

Aiming for:

All 9s 🙏🏾.

Currently watching:

i did bronze last year, you can literally just do all of your skills, volunteering etc in school, that's what i did, and imo probs the easiest way to stay on top of things.
if you like to walk the expedition's pretty nice, but if you don't like nature and the sort (e.g. on our expedition it was really muddy and a ton of girls cried??) then maybe it won't be that fun. also depends on weather, and if you're going with friends, its literally not worth it if you're not with friends, so boring, speaking from experience. :frown: the navigation's super easy and chill, ik ppl who literally just used snapmaps instead (but don't do that, you'll be disqualified)
in terms of prepping like bringing stuff, be VERY VERY prepared for weather. you're lucky if your expedition is in summer, but during winter/ spring it is HELLISH, the countryside is so much colder and wetter than London. make sure to get extra socks + clothes in case of mud, it really isn't very fun sleeping in muddy clothes and enough layers to stay warm, otherwise you get no sleep the entire night, but in summer it is very pleasant :smile: also for your own sanity try to pack light and organised, or your back really hurts and you lose half your **** (i lost my phone)
sorry for rambling, i have an awful tendency to go on tangents, i hope this may? answer your questions
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hii, I'm doing silver DofE! Hopefully we can catch up later - I haven't started expedition yet (not until april) but we have a training day to prepare in a few months

Omg hiii, that's so cool! I wanna hear everything when you're done with it ^^
Omg hiii, that's so cool! I wanna hear everything when you're done with it ^^

Yep sure thing! A few days ago, I started setting up my dofe account as well for volunteering, skills + physical and it's going good so far
Original post by xgsthcthf
i did bronze last year, you can literally just do all of your skills, volunteering etc in school, that's what i did, and imo probs the easiest way to stay on top of things.
if you like to walk the expedition's pretty nice, but if you don't like nature and the sort (e.g. on our expedition it was really muddy and a ton of girls cried??) then maybe it won't be that fun. also depends on weather, and if you're going with friends, its literally not worth it if you're not with friends, so boring, speaking from experience. :frown: the navigation's super easy and chill, ik ppl who literally just used snapmaps instead (but don't do that, you'll be disqualified)
in terms of prepping like bringing stuff, be VERY VERY prepared for weather. you're lucky if your expedition is in summer, but during winter/ spring it is HELLISH, the countryside is so much colder and wetter than London. make sure to get extra socks + clothes in case of mud, it really isn't very fun sleeping in muddy clothes and enough layers to stay warm, otherwise you get no sleep the entire night, but in summer it is very pleasant :smile: also for your own sanity try to pack light and organised, or your back really hurts and you lose half your **** (i lost my phone)
sorry for rambling, i have an awful tendency to go on tangents, i hope this may? answer your questions

Hiii thank you so much for your reply!! Everything you said seems really helpful so I'll make sure to remember it. I'm pretty lucky because my expedition is gonna be in summer. I don't mind nature, but I'm gonna have to work on my fitness before the expedition. In terms of equipment, is there anything in particular you'd recommend? Also, does it get really hot or uncomfortable at all in the summer? OH AND how does hygiene and sanitation work on the expedition? Literally, no one has explained this to me 😭
I was gonna do everything for the 3 sections in school since I had clubs that fit the requirements pretty well. Unfortunately, my school's understaffed rn so extracurriculars are so inconsistent and unreliable, which is a big problem since I need proper records of my activities.
I'm getting a gym membership and I'll be going with a few of my friends for my physical. For volunteering, I've applied to work at a local charity shop. If that doesn't work out, I'll either hope for the best with the in-school club or maybe help train the year 7 netball team?? As for skills, I'm just gonna continue with my language learning since it's something I enjoy.
Yep sure thing! A few days ago, I started setting up my dofe account as well for volunteering, skills + physical and it's going good so far

Oh that's great!! I'm setting up my EDofE account this Friday 🙂
Reply 89
Hiii thank you so much for your reply!! Everything you said seems really helpful so I'll make sure to remember it. I'm pretty lucky because my expedition is gonna be in summer. I don't mind nature, but I'm gonna have to work on my fitness before the expedition. In terms of equipment, is there anything in particular you'd recommend? Also, does it get really hot or uncomfortable at all in the summer? OH AND how does hygiene and sanitation work on the expedition? Literally, no one has explained this to me 😭
I was gonna do everything for the 3 sections in school since I had clubs that fit the requirements pretty well. Unfortunately, my school's understaffed rn so extracurriculars are so inconsistent and unreliable, which is a big problem since I need proper records of my activities.
I'm getting a gym membership and I'll be going with a few of my friends for my physical. For volunteering, I've applied to work at a local charity shop. If that doesn't work out, I'll either hope for the best with the in-school club or maybe help train the year 7 netball team?? As for skills, I'm just gonna continue with my language learning since it's something I enjoy.

i was fine with all the equipment on the list tbh, but in terms of food make sure to pack precooked lunches, but you have to have some sort of cookable? food for breakfast and dinner, like i had instant noodles every night and i warmed up hot chocolate in the mornings, i'm pretty sure its a requirement?? but don't quote me on it. you might want to get a pillow? sleeping mat for underneath your sleeping mat is a must unless you don't mind sleeping on lumpy ground
tbh i'm very biased because i hate the cold, but i didn't find it hot and uncomfortable in summer, but i would say definitely wear light clothes, cause you feel kinda gross after walking for like 6 hours straight and maybe a hat? if heat bothers you a lot?
in terms of hygiene and sanitation, i'm not 100% sure which part you mean by this, but i'll answer it to the best of my ability.
at the campsite there are bathrooms and showers(unfortunately there can be a big queue, especially in summer, and they aren't always super cleanly) but if i'm not mistaken bronze expedition is only one night?? so ig you could just shower at home
but while you're on a wlak its in the woods so obv no bathroom facilities, so you either have to wait or you can..... if you're not squeamish, so i guess bring tissues/ wipes? i hope this is what you meant 😭
i was fine with all the equipment on the list tbh, but in terms of food make sure to pack precooked lunches, but you have to have some sort of cookable? Food for breakfast and dinner, like i had instant noodles every night and i warmed up hot chocolate in the mornings, i'm pretty sure its a requirement?? But don't quote me on it. You might want to get a pillow? Sleeping mat for underneath your sleeping mat is a must unless you don't mind sleeping on lumpy ground
tbh i'm very biased because i hate the cold, but i didn't find it hot and uncomfortable in summer, but i would say definitely wear light clothes, cause you feel kinda gross after walking for like 6 hours straight and maybe a hat? If heat bothers you a lot?
In terms of hygiene and sanitation, i'm not 100% sure which part you mean by this, but i'll answer it to the best of my ability.
At the campsite there are bathrooms and showers(unfortunately there can be a big queue, especially in summer, and they aren't always super cleanly) but if i'm not mistaken bronze expedition is only one night?? So ig you could just shower at home
but while you're on a wlak its in the woods so obv no bathroom facilities, so you either have to wait or you can..... If you're not squeamish, so i guess bring tissues/ wipes? I hope this is what you meant 😭

yess okay thank you so much
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hi can anyone help me regarding this:

I have a history test on 29th nov on chapter 2, chapter 3 and chapter 4 of the USA 1918-1941 and I was wondering how to write a 16 marker. I want to get good grades and do you guys have a past paper that is annotated or can anyone help me write one.ie what to include and how to compare sources etc. thank you so much and have a nice day
Hello Year 10s! I dont think I've been on here in a while - how is everyone doing? do you have any general questions about GCSEs? (i am in year 13) :biggrin:
Hello Year 10s! I dont think I've been on here in a while - how is everyone doing? do you have any general questions about GCSEs? (i am in year 13) :biggrin:

Hi, GCSEs are quite demanding, but I'm able to manage it a lot better now. Do you have any tips on how to juggle all my subjects better and to get all the work I intended to do finished (because sometimes when another exam comes up, I can't allocate my time for another subject at the same time so I end up delaying it).

Hi, GCSEs are quite demanding, but I'm able to manage it a lot better now. Do you have any tips on how to juggle all my subjects better and to get all the work I intended to do finished (because sometimes when another exam comes up, I can't allocate my time for another subject at the same time so I end up delaying it).

hiya @LifeHappens i think i might create a separate thread if that is easier. if any of you year 10s have general questions about GCSE you want to ask me, feel free to do so here: ask away: questions about GCSEs - The Student Room
(edited 5 months ago)
Still doing hw at this time of the eve is not the one. I’m sooooo over geography it’s so boring to me now 🥱
So obviously I come on here to procrastinate a bit and drag it out further
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 96
Original post by RandomOneOhOne
Still doing hw at this time of the eve is not the one. I’m sooooo over geography it’s so boring to me now 🥱
So obviously I come on here to procrastinate a bit and drag it out further

Hey what exam board do you do for geography? I do OCR B and resources for revision are scarce or otherwise not detailed and practically useless :frown:
Reply 97
i was fine with all the equipment on the list tbh, but in terms of food make sure to pack precooked lunches, but you have to have some sort of cookable? food for breakfast and dinner, like i had instant noodles every night and i warmed up hot chocolate in the mornings, i'm pretty sure its a requirement?? but don't quote me on it. you might want to get a pillow? sleeping mat for underneath your sleeping mat is a must unless you don't mind sleeping on lumpy ground
tbh i'm very biased because i hate the cold, but i didn't find it hot and uncomfortable in summer, but i would say definitely wear light clothes, cause you feel kinda gross after walking for like 6 hours straight and maybe a hat? if heat bothers you a lot?
in terms of hygiene and sanitation, i'm not 100% sure which part you mean by this, but i'll answer it to the best of my ability.
at the campsite there are bathrooms and showers(unfortunately there can be a big queue, especially in summer, and they aren't always super cleanly) but if i'm not mistaken bronze expedition is only one night?? so ig you could just shower at home
but while you're on a wlak its in the woods so obv no bathroom facilities, so you either have to wait or you can..... if you're not squeamish, so i guess bring tissues/ wipes? i hope this is what you meant 😭

Your one was one night?!?!?!?!? Our school made us do three nights for BRONZE! However I found it really fun so it was more of an advantage rather than something to frown about!
Original post by AJO_SGS
Hey what exam board do you do for geography? I do OCR B and resources for revision are scarce or otherwise not detailed and practically useless :frown:

I do AQA
Last couple of weeks slog before the Xmas break. So. Many. Tests. Uurrrrgghhh

Quick Reply

Latest