The Student Room Group

room decorations

Where is the best place to buy room decorations?
Depends what kind of decor you are going for
Original post by ClemmieSilk

Hi @ClemmieSilk,

Are you going into your first year of university? If so, how are you feeling about it?

I personally have not lived in uni accommodation but know friends who have and I like to window shop a lot, especially for room decor!!

I have heard a lot of people say to try make it as homely as possible for example you might want to find some nice fluffy blankets for your bed, fairy lights, add pictures around your room or on a cork board (you can also add tickets and other souvenirs here from your time at uni). You could also add a whiteboard to help organise your weekly meals, lectures and manage your time.

There are a few shops in the UK that might be helpful to look in. Here is a list of some in person ones:
- The Range
- Dunelm
- B&M
- Matalan
- Boots
- Poundland (great for frames and smaller items)
- Wilko (if the one near you is still open)

If you prefer to have a browse online:
- Amazon
- Etsy (great for unique and more personalised items)
- Argos

I would say wait till you know what your room looks like and had a look at what you own before you buy anything for your room. I hope these help and for inspiration there is always google and Pinterest! :smile:

Good luck with decorating.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Personally, I'd recommend getting decor once you know what your room looks like so that you don't get lots of clutter you don't know where to put. Some things you can never go wrong with though are things to put in your noticeboard (photos, birthday cards, postcards etc), a duvet cover you like, and a nice coloured blanket. The rest you'll be able to buy as you go once you know what sort of decor will fit into your room!

Hey @ClemmieSilk

I bought about 10 fake plants from IKEA, I wanted greenery without the responsibility of keeping a plant alive!

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Jam12345
Depends what kind of decor you are going for
I think I would like a pink theme.

Hello,
I bought a lot of my room decorations from Amazon and TJ Hughes, but places like Wilko, Pound Land, Ikea are also great places to shop for room decorations.

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Hey there @ClemmieSilk !

You could start looking at places like IKEA and Dunelm. I also had a look round B&M, HomeBargains, TKMaxx and the Range.You could also try looking at Wilkos, if it's closing down they might have some good discounts. It depends what aesthetic you're looking for and what your price range is. If you have a bit more money to spare then you could try H&M Home, Next or Zara Home. I've always found Primark Home to be reliable as well, they do good storage bits and cute stuff for Autumn. Asda Home is also good stuff at a good price point.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 8
Bear in mind that the University have rules on what you can do.
An example would be no mains powered fairy lights.
Often you can only stick stuff on notice boards.

If you know what Hall you are due to be in, find the handbook online.
It should state what is /is not permitted
Sometimes students are fined for brutal stains/paint damage.

It sounds tough, but they can’t redecorate rooms every year. They also have to be aware of fire risks etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending