The Student Room Group

Friends in third year

im returning to a uni i hate this week, where i have no friends at all and no life. im going to need to start making a life out there for myself, but im very very nervous. most of all i want a steady group of friends, but at the least a couple of good connections.

if anyone is in the same boat id love to mentor each other! i think it would really help to have someone in the same position holding me accountable so that im more inclined to actually do things. these things are scary after all. please message if ur interested:smile:

also, if ur at st andrews in a similar position...please god let's unionise.
Original post by brakhage582
im returning to a uni i hate this week, where i have no friends at all and no life. im going to need to start making a life out there for myself, but im very very nervous. most of all i want a steady group of friends, but at the least a couple of good connections.

if anyone is in the same boat id love to mentor each other! i think it would really help to have someone in the same position holding me accountable so that im more inclined to actually do things. these things are scary after all. please message if ur interested:smile:

Hi @brakhage582,

I am sorry to hear that you are returning to a university you are not fond of and struggling with friendships. You have made a great start by starting a thread and putting yourself out there, I hope some more people respond!

I am going into my final year too, as I have just finished my placement year a lot of my friends have graduated (mainly my friendship group) so I am worried about making a stable group of friends for my final year onwards too. I do frequently have to remind myself that friendship is about quality and not quantity. A few friends you can rely on is more important than a friendship group you can sort of be yourself with. One great way to find people is by finding people who are similar to you. For example, I like to work hard so I found some friends through a study group that originated from a big course group chat. I remember someone asked if anyone wanted to set up a study group (I said yes) and thats how it all started! One simple message may be all it takes. With time, people dropped out of this and some people joined so you remember that you don't have to be friends with the first few people you meet.

Facebook groups can also be a good way to meet people near you or who are in the same position. This could be your accommodation grouopchat or with people in your area. Your university student room forum may also be another way to meet people.

Have you joined any societies or do any activities outside of university where you have met people or could meet people? At the beginning of the year, societies usually offer taster events which could be a good way to try something new and meet new people (even if you don't end up being friends, at least it is someone else you have gotten to know).

I hope this helps, friendships can be really hard but I hope things work out better for you in your final year! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @brakhage582,

I am sorry to hear that you are returning to a university you are not fond of and struggling with friendships. You have made a great start by starting a thread and putting yourself out there, I hope some more people respond!

I am going into my final year too, as I have just finished my placement year a lot of my friends have graduated (mainly my friendship group) so I am worried about making a stable group of friends for my final year onwards too. I do frequently have to remind myself that friendship is about quality and not quantity. A few friends you can rely on is more important than a friendship group you can sort of be yourself with. One great way to find people is by finding people who are similar to you. For example, I like to work hard so I found some friends through a study group that originated from a big course group chat. I remember someone asked if anyone wanted to set up a study group (I said yes) and thats how it all started! One simple message may be all it takes. With time, people dropped out of this and some people joined so you remember that you don't have to be friends with the first few people you meet.

Facebook groups can also be a good way to meet people near you or who are in the same position. This could be your accommodation grouopchat or with people in your area. Your university student room forum may also be another way to meet people.

Have you joined any societies or do any activities outside of university where you have met people or could meet people? At the beginning of the year, societies usually offer taster events which could be a good way to try something new and meet new people (even if you don't end up being friends, at least it is someone else you have gotten to know).

I hope this helps, friendships can be really hard but I hope things work out better for you in your final year! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

PRSOM
Original post by brakhage582

@brakhage582

What is it that you hate about the uni? Do you at least enjoy your course?

A steady group of friends/ friendship takes time. You sometimes meet people who you instantly get on well with and it's like you have known them forever, whereas with others it can take a long time before you become friends.

I think sometimes it is difficult to tell who will become a good friend and who won't, so reach out to different people. Sit with different people. Talk to different people. Go and grab a coffee with different people. Join societies. Pursue your interests and you'll likely meet others who also care about the environment, or who are sporty, or who are into politics, the arts etc. Invite or ask people to certain events. If you are a person who always says no when someone invites you to something, try saying yes.

If you focus on making the most of your time at uni e.g. joining the societies that you want and getting involved with different events, then you will meet people. As you begin to get to know people, you will find the people who you enjoy spending time with and who will become your friends.

Try not to stress about it all, but keep putting yourself out there.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending