The Student Room Group

Going into second year uni advice :/

So I’m going into second year and I had some issues with finding a house and unfortunately didn’t make many friends in first year so I’ll be moving back home for second/third year. First year was very rough for me and there’s a part of me that doesn’t even want to go back but I’ve come this far. Because I’m moving back home which is about an hours commute I’m worried I’m not gonna be able to have the full experience as I can’t go on nights out as I’ll have to think about getting home. I’m worried I won’t be able to make friends as friendship groups will already be established and I’m just generally worried about not getting the experience as I’m terrified of regretting my uni years later down the line :frown: first year went wrong in every way possible and I don’t want that for the rest of my degree :frown:
Original post by lifestartsnow.x
So I’m going into second year and I had some issues with finding a house and unfortunately didn’t make many friends in first year so I’ll be moving back home for second/third year. First year was very rough for me and there’s a part of me that doesn’t even want to go back but I’ve come this far. Because I’m moving back home which is about an hours commute I’m worried I’m not gonna be able to have the full experience as I can’t go on nights out as I’ll have to think about getting home. I’m worried I won’t be able to make friends as friendship groups will already be established and I’m just generally worried about not getting the experience as I’m terrified of regretting my uni years later down the line :frown: first year went wrong in every way possible and I don’t want that for the rest of my degree :frown:

Hey @lifestartsnow.x

I'm sorry you've had a difficult year. Remember that people commute for lots of different reasons, so you won't be the only one living at home. If you're struggling with uni at the moment, it might also make things easier to get away in the evenings, and you might find that you've got better support at home.
Personally, I found that I made much closer friends on my course after first year, and everyone's friendship groups changed so much more than I thought they would, even the ones that seemed to be very established! If you're keen to move back to uni for third year, you might feel that you've made close enough friends to sign a contract with them, or you could go to events organised by the uni which are designed to help you find flatmates- I know a few people who this worked really well for.
You could also consider joining a new society which fits around your commute, as freshers will join every year who haven't formed groups yet.

All the best for second year, I hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by lifestartsnow.x

Hey there, sorry to hear that your first year did not go well.

I think the decision to commute to University is not a bad one. Many students that I know also commute a few hours to get to University and they can have a good time too. So you are certainly not the only one in this position.

Being back at home also means that you will be able to stay in touch with any friends and family back at home. So getting a mix of University and life at home is a good choice in my opinion.

As there will be new students coming to study at the University, I think friend groups are quite flexible. You can always meet new people and make new friendships. Perhaps try joining new societies. :smile:

I hope this helps, all the best!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending