The Student Room Group

Applying to POLIS at Cambridge

I am a recent graduate from Yale with a political science and human rights background thinking about applying to the POLIS program or MPhil in Public Policy at Cambridge but my GPA is a 3.64.

Do I have a chance given that Cambridge requires a 3.85 and a 3.75 for the MPP?
Original post by amalaltareb
I am a recent graduate from Yale with a political science and human rights background thinking about applying to the POLIS program or MPhil in Public Policy at Cambridge but my GPA is a 3.64.

Do I have a chance given that Cambridge requires a 3.85 and a 3.75 for the MPP?

It depends what the 'human rights background' is. It's a fairly large 'miss' on the grades, but POLIS takes a lot of account of practical/real world experience, so if you have some decent professional experience that will contribute to the course, both your ability and discussion for others, then it's possible.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It depends what the 'human rights background' is. It's a fairly large 'miss' on the grades, but POLIS takes a lot of account of practical/real world experience, so if you have some decent professional experience that will contribute to the course, both your ability and discussion for others, then it's possible.

Thank you@threeportdrift for your feedback, much appreciated. Given that I just graduated in December, I don’t have much of a professional experience other than teaching and volunteering at a local school this year. However, I was part of an undergraduate human rights program at Yale Law School, conducted research and advocacy relevant to the current civil war in Yemen (I grew up there as a child), and started a youth advocacy soon-to-be nonprofit focusing on the Uyghur genocide.

I think I will shoot my shot with POLIS but would it weaken my application if I also apply to the public policy program? Would my experience be considered “professional” enough?
Thank you@threeportdrift for your feedback, much appreciated. Given that I just graduated in December, I don’t have much of a professional experience other than teaching and volunteering at a local school this year. However, I was part of an undergraduate human rights program at Yale Law School, conducted research and advocacy relevant to the current civil war in Yemen (I grew up there as a child), and started a youth advocacy soon-to-be nonprofit focusing on the Uyghur genocide.

I think I will shoot my shot with POLIS but would it weaken my application if I also apply to the public policy program? Would my experience be considered “professional” enough?

My involvement with POLIS was a few years ago, and the decision-makers will have changed, but back then, they actively didn't like applications to multiple programmes. You were supposed to know what you were best suited for and apply to that. They saw multiple applications and just spreading bets and being more interested in Cambridge than the course. However, the mood may have changed.

There is such a diverse potential candidate pool and of course it is a global pool, that you are really aiming for something like 1 of 3-5 places for 'direct graduates'. They would never describe it like this, but when you consider the relevant backgrounds of regular applicants like military, civil servants, bankers, economists, journalists, NGO workers, security personnel, undergrad students - UK and overseas, then there are only 3-5 places for each of those categories of applicant.
Reply 4
Hi - I am an architect looking to change careers. Very well read in my area of proposed research. Any idea if - given my professional background is quite different to that of the 'standard' applicant - I have a chance of acceptance?

Just curious - thanks and best of luck with the application!
Original post by oredmond
Hi - I am an architect looking to change careers. Very well read in my area of proposed research. Any idea if - given my professional background is quite different to that of the 'standard' applicant - I have a chance of acceptance?

Just curious - thanks and best of luck with the application!

There's always a chance, but you might like to look at the MSt version of the course as well. It might be more realistic if you've got no practical IR experience.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
There's always a chance, but you might like to look at the MSt version of the course as well. It might be more realistic if you've got no practical IR experience.

Thank you!
Reply 7
Hello, did you apply? Have you heard anything back yet?
Reply 8
Original post by Elliewww24
Hello, did you apply? Have you heard anything back yet?

Hi Ellie, I did apply but I have not heard back. Did you apply too?

Hey - did you hear anything as yet?

I’ve changed to PAO - have you heard anything?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve changed to PAO - have you heard anything?

Congrats, I hope all goes well! I still haven’t heard anything.
Reply 12
Congrats, I hope all goes well! I still haven’t heard anything.

Hehe I just got rejected. It says “application is unsuccessful” wishing the best to everyone though!
Hi! May I ask you when did u apply/ how long did it take you to change to PAO? I applied just before the funding deadline and is still "under review by department"... Thanks 🙂
Original post by maria.turner
Hi! May I ask you when did u apply/ how long did it take you to change to PAO? I applied just before the funding deadline and is still "under review by department"... Thanks 🙂

I applied just before the funding deadline too, I changed to PAO Thursday 25th January and was accepted 2nd February 🙂 Hope this helps and best of luck to you!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied just before the funding deadline too, I changed to PAO Thursday 25th January and was accepted 2nd February 🙂 Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Thank you for your reply! I hope to have some news soon (for better or for worse)... And congratulations on your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending