The Student Room Group

A-level History Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lunaz
Hey! Same here with American dream but I also do Tudors, do you have any recommendations for USA resources? I can barely find any!

Hello, I might help with that. What type of resources you need?
Hey I am busy self studying CIE International Option History. I'm aiming for an A* but I don't know how much detail there should be for my summaries. If my textbook is 250 pages should I have closer to 50 or a 100 pages of notes? Any resources for International Option would also be welcome!
AQA history
Weimar Germany
Tudors
Coursework is American civil rights
Reply 23
Original post by kevano
Hello, I might help with that. What type of resources you need?

Hey, sorry for the late reply! Honestly anything you'd like to share with me, do you have question booklets with source and essay question banks?
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level History Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hey,

I do edexcel history

Currently enjoying America boom, bust and recovery:1920-1955

I’m really struggling with starting my coursework as my teacher has disappeared for a good month now 😑. I’m doing Russia revolution. I think the question is if the revolution was a coup d’etat or a revolution. Help please.
Original post by kitty2005
Hey,

I do edexcel history

Currently enjoying America boom, bust and recovery:1920-1955

I’m really struggling with starting my coursework as my teacher has disappeared for a good month now 😑. I’m doing Russia revolution. I think the question is if the revolution was a coup d’etat or a revolution. Help please.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mWWz1K9qftXb5adJQQ7hNOlpu7GZsN4wERub_JyP3uc/edit?usp=sharing

I answered that exact question with the above essay.

First up.....definitions. Something is typically referred to as a coup if there is a transfer of power, usually violenty, by one person or group to another, invariably done very quickly......and here's the crucial bit.....the power grab lacks both obvious mass appeal and also, society doesn't really change very much. Think plenty of African countries in the 1970s and 1980s.

In contrast a revolution implies 2 things.......mass popular appeal (but not always.....see below), but a revolution must involve a radical change in the country in some form. The French Revolution of 1789 was deemed a revolution because of how it radically changed all aspects of society. Do you think the Bolsheviks did the same? Hint......yes, big time !

Feel free to 'borrow' some ideas but to get top grades, try to focus some of your essay on the debate between historians. Those from the West (led by the likes of Richard Pipes) argued it was a coup i.e. little popular support. Russian historians argued it was very much a revolution i.e. it had huge popular support in the same way as the Sans-Culotte provided the physical muscle of the French Revolution, as there were millions of ordinary Russians willing the Bolsheviks on. The truth is probably somewhere in between as I suggest in the essay. Context is also important......during the cold war, Western historians tried to delegitimise the Soviet regime saying it never had any popular support from day 1 i.e. it was illegitimate, but Russian historians somewhat fearful of ending up in the Gulag, argued precisely the opposite so both sides had some bias. But there were plenty of Marxist historians in the West like Ronald Suny who argued it did have plenty of popular support, but as a Marxist you would expect him to push that line.

But......here's a super nuanced answer you could push. It was both !

It was a coup in the sense it had some popular support but not much (there was no obvious rejoicing the next day and the fact a civil war happened shortly after suggests many disliked the Bolsheviks) but what they did was actually revolutionary. So even with little popular suport (the Bolsheviks did actually have quite a bit in Moscow and Petrograd but not in the countryside which was where the majority of the people were) it could still meet the defintion of revolution providing the party coming to power radically changed society (that's really what a revolution is):

a radical restructuring of how a country is governed going from an absolutist monarchy to law making power residing in a legislative assembly voted for by the people and then to a single party (which scrapped free elections).

a radical change in the civil liberties of the people - restrictions on things like what you could say or what religion you could practice.

a radical change in the structure of the economy i.e. how is the productive capacity of the economy controlled: private individuals (capitalism) or the government (communism)

How people thought i.e. what was / was not acceptable behaviour / what the government should or should not do

The Bolsheviks did all 4 in spades (point 4 - they managed to change how people thought by convincing millions that extreme brutality was entirely justified)........so they were absolutely revolutionary even if, during their power grab, they lacked widespread popular support.

and you definitely want to use historical comparisons......Paris, 1789 is a good one !

If you need more ideas, just ask.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by history tutor
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mWWz1K9qftXb5adJQQ7hNOlpu7GZsN4wERub_JyP3uc/edit?usp=sharing

I answered that exact question with the above essay.

First up.....definitions. Something is typically referred to as a coup if there is a transfer of power, usually violenty, by one person or group to another, invariably done very quickly......and here's the crucial bit.....the power grab lacks both obvious mass appeal and also, society doesn't really change very much. Think plenty of African countries in the 1970s and 1980s.

In contrast a revolution implies 2 things.......mass popular appeal (but not always.....see below), but a revolution must involve a radical change in the country in some form. The French Revolution of 1789 was deemed a revolution because of how it radically changed all aspects of society. Do you think the Bolsheviks did the same? Hint......yes, big time !

Feel free to 'borrow' some ideas but to get top grades, try to focus some of your essay on the debate between historians. Those from the West (led by the likes of Richard Pipes) argued it was a coup i.e. little popular support. Russian historians argued it was very much a revolution i.e. it had huge popular support in the same way as the Sans-Culotte provided the physical muscle of the French Revolution, as there were millions of ordinary Russians willing the Bolsheviks on. The truth is probably somewhere in between as I suggest in the essay. Context is also important......during the cold war, Western historians tried to delegitimise the Soviet regime saying it never had any popular support from day 1 i.e. it was illegitimate, but Russian historians somewhat fearful of ending up in the Gulag, argued precisely the opposite so both sides had some bias. But there were plenty of Marxist historians in the West like Ronald Suny who argued it did have plenty of popular support, but as a Marxist you would expect him to push that line.

But......here's a super nuanced answer you could push. It was both !

It was a coup in the sense it had some popular support but not much (there was no obvious rejoicing the next day and the fact a civil war happened shortly after suggests many disliked the Bolsheviks) but what they did was actually revolutionary. So even with little popular suport (the Bolsheviks did actually have quite a bit in Moscow and Petrograd but not in the countryside which was where the majority of the people were) it could still meet the defintion of revolution providing the party coming to power radically changed society (that's really what a revolution is):

a radical restructuring of how a country is governed going from an absolutist monarchy to law making power residing in a legislative assembly voted for by the people and then to a single party (which scrapped free elections).

a radical change in the civil liberties of the people - restrictions on things like what you could say or what religion you could practice.

a radical change in the structure of the economy i.e. how is the productive capacity of the economy controlled: private individuals (capitalism) or the government (communism)

How people thought i.e. what was / was not acceptable behaviour / what the government should or should not do

The Bolsheviks did all 4 in spades (point 4 - they managed to change how people thought by convincing millions that extreme brutality was entirely justified)........so they were absolutely revolutionary even if, during their power grab, they lacked widespread popular support.

and you definitely want to use historical comparisons......Paris, 1789 is a good one !

If you need more ideas, just ask.

A very useful answer in many ways, but are you not a) practically inviting plagiarism by posting a link to a relevant essay, and b) over-directing the OP, eg by telling them what to include in their argument and by giving them a "clever" conclusion?
Reply 27
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi,I'm with Edexcel.Im struggling with writing essays,mostly introduction and conclusion.I would like some help with the structure of the intro and conclusionso I can apply it to every question.
Reply 28
i need past questions on history sources; on the Britain revolution.
Reply 29
i need help with finding history source based past questions on the industrial revolution.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Pwca

HI im with the CAIE Board (9489)
I find learning and evaluating the topics interesting
We are doing the International relations from 1870-1945 option for AS (A1) and Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust for A-level, i really struggle with essay writing and structuring my answers, i'm looking for tips and for someone to proof read my essays and tell me what i can change and improve on. PLEASE HELP !
Reply 31
Original post by Edntd
Hi,I'm with Edexcel.Im struggling with writing essays,mostly introduction and conclusion.I would like some help with the structure of the intro and conclusionso I can apply it to every question.

i struggle with the same thing...

HI im with the CAIE Board (9489)
We are doing the International relations from 1870-1945 option for AS (A1) and Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust for A-level, i really struggle with essay writing and structuring my answers, i'm looking for tips and for someone to proof read my essays and tell me what i can change or improve
Reply 32
Original post by ashlynx113
Hey I am busy self studying CIE International Option History. I'm aiming for an A* but I don't know how much detail there should be for my summaries. If my textbook is 250 pages should I have closer to 50 or a 100 pages of notes? Any resources for International Option would also be welcome!

Hi, looking at examiners reports and example candidate responses might help, you will have a good idea of the detail in which you will have to write and as a result it will be easier to navigate around note taking....

im with the CAIE Board (9489)
We are doing the International relations from 1870-1945 option for AS (A1) and Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust for A-level, i really struggle with essay writing and structuring my answers, i'm looking for tips and for someone to proof read my essays and tell me what i can change

I really want an A* too
Reply 33
Hi I am doing Biology chemistry and history a levels
For history i am doing civil rights in usa , germany : democracy and dictatorship and the early stuarts and the vcivil war
Any resources or useful websites will be really appreciated
I am aiming for minimum 3As in a levels
Does anyone have any tips to get As with revision and general school organisation tips please Thank you
Hi! I do AQA Tudors and French Rev. I was just wondering if anyone knew what was on the 2023 papers because there aren't many past papers on the AQA website and I have mocks in January (I need the practice)
I am doing alevels history
French and Russian Revolution
League of nations
Cold War
is anyone else doing development of antisemitism in Europe for their NEA?
Original post by SaffAcia
Hiii😁
AQA Exam Board
Transformation of China
The British Empire

Heyy I'm doing Transformation of China too!
Kinda struggling with resources n study materials tho :/
Original post by el2019
Hii, how are you revising/preparing for China? Have you found any useful websites? :smile:

Have you?? I'm doing China too lmao
HELP!! i'm doing an exam question for tudors AQA. "'the time of henry vii was a time of relative domestic peace and tranquility' how far do you agree?" that's the question. i need both sides of the argument and for disagree, i think i will talk about the rebellions and pretenders but i don't know what to talk about to agree?!??!! i need it done by wednesday HELP PLS
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending