The Student Room Group

A-level History Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by acolourfulhuman
HELP!! i'm doing an exam question for tudors AQA. "'the time of henry vii was a time of relative domestic peace and tranquility' how far do you agree?" that's the question. i need both sides of the argument and for disagree, i think i will talk about the rebellions and pretenders but i don't know what to talk about to agree?!??!! i need it done by wednesday HELP PLS

Argument for:

End of the Wars of the Roses - Which arguably ended one of the most violent periods of English history. In addition, mention the marriage between Elizabeth of York and Henry VIII being a key factor on that.

Henry VII did not have a lot of major rebellions against his own reign, but merely just local issues that can be exemplified for the Yorkshire Rebellion of 1489 which only led to small deaths and the rebellion was dealt with peacefully. Yorkshire Rebellion only started because of the bad harvest and the subsequent famine.

Henry VII helped to increase crown stability by limiting the powers of the nobles which made them reluctant to rebel and cause issues and continued to support trade throughout England which meant very limited social mobility and allowed more merchants to trade cloth through the Merchants Adventures and Henry's trade policy towards Venice allowed English Merchants to further increase their trading power by trading in Mediterranean Goods such as Wine which was expensive and lucrative.

Argument Against:

Henry VIII draconian measures against the nobility made him hated and fueled more rebellions and discontent within England; this can be exemplified by the fact that Henry's own Lord Chamberlain tried to rebel against him. This suggests that there was still a period of discontent and not as the "tranquility" as the quote implies.

In addition to this, the Cornish Rebellion of 1497 which marched all the way to Blackheath again still suggests the shaky foundations in which the Crown authority lies and such popularity and lack of resistance by the rebels in the southern counties suggest there was not that much domestic peace.

You can also still measure the role of the pretender Perkin Warbeck on how he was a nuisance for most of Henry VIII reign and his role inadvertently caused the Cornish Rebellion because of his taxation to fund Scotland and talk how Perkin Warbeck was seen by some as legitimate which suggests again the country was still not in domestic peace and that the true "Wars of the Roses" has not ended.

Finally, just mention that there was still questions about Henry VII illegitimacy throughout his own reign; due to his shaky claim in the throne. Which again suggests there was still discontent and not "domestic" peace as the source implies.

Overall, your argument on pretenders and rebellions is a good starting point on starting this question; However focus more on the idea of domestic peace and more about Henry VII trade policy which I think is crucial to suggest a country of domestic peace that is prosperous and the country is stable. Just remember to have a clear judgement throughout! I hope this helps 🙂
Original post by lunaz
argument for:

end of the wars of the roses - which arguably ended one of the most violent periods of english history. In addition, mention the marriage between elizabeth of york and henry viii being a key factor on that.

henry vii did not have a lot of major rebellions against his own reign, but merely just local issues that can be exemplified for the yorkshire rebellion of 1489 which only led to small deaths and the rebellion was dealt with peacefully. Yorkshire rebellion only started because of the bad harvest and the subsequent famine.

henry vii helped to increase crown stability by limiting the powers of the nobles which made them reluctant to rebel and cause issues and continued to support trade throughout england which meant very limited social mobility and allowed more merchants to trade cloth through the merchants adventures and henry's trade policy towards venice allowed english merchants to further increase their trading power by trading in mediterranean goods such as wine which was expensive and lucrative.

argument against:

henry viii draconian measures against the nobility made him hated and fueled more rebellions and discontent within england; this can be exemplified by the fact that henry's own lord chamberlain tried to rebel against him. This suggests that there was still a period of discontent and not as the "tranquility" as the quote implies.

in addition to this, the cornish rebellion of 1497 which marched all the way to blackheath again still suggests the shaky foundations in which the crown authority lies and such popularity and lack of resistance by the rebels in the southern counties suggest there was not that much domestic peace.

you can also still measure the role of the pretender perkin warbeck on how he was a nuisance for most of henry viii reign and his role inadvertently caused the cornish rebellion because of his taxation to fund scotland and talk how perkin warbeck was seen by some as legitimate which suggests again the country was still not in domestic peace and that the true "wars of the roses" has not ended.

finally, just mention that there was still questions about henry vii illegitimacy throughout his own reign; due to his shaky claim in the throne. Which again suggests there was still discontent and not "domestic" peace as the source implies.

overall, your argument on pretenders and rebellions is a good starting point on starting this question; however focus more on the idea of domestic peace and more about henry vii trade policy which i think is crucial to suggest a country of domestic peace that is prosperous and the country is stable. Just remember to have a clear judgement throughout! I hope this helps 🙂

omgomg that is amazing tysmmmmm!
Reply 42
Original post by kevano
Hello, I might help with that. What type of resources you need?

can you please send any american dream resources. if you have south africa or british experience of warfare, that would be great too! THANKS SO MUCH
Reply 43
Original post by kevano
Hello, I might help with that. What type of resources you need?

hi, i would take any american dream resources you have. If you have south africa and warfare, that would be a bonus. Please can you send it. Thanks
Original post by erin11
I am doing AQA
Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964
Britain wars and welfare 1906-57
coursework: development of antisemitism in France 17th and 18th century

Same- Russia and Britain
Original post by erin11
I am doing AQA
Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964
Britain wars and welfare 1906-57
coursework: development of antisemitism in France 17th and 18th century

Hi, you don't happen to know what the topics on the 2023 paper were for Britain by any chance?
Original post by nikimitchell86
Hi, you don't happen to know what the topics on the 2023 paper were for Britain by any chance?

no, sorry!
Coursework has to be handed in on Monday, I was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat because it feels like I’m currently drowning with it. Clarity is what I struggle with so is there any advice in how to become clearer in my arguments?
Hi! does anyone know what the AQA france in revolution exam questions were for 2023?
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level History Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

I have an urgent question if anyone knows...i am doing coursework rn on Russia and long story short just need to know if it's deemed correct to refer to the plural form of the noun 'Duma' as 'Dumas' or something else?

Also i am with OCR as an exam board.
I hate history.
And i struggle with all of it - Stuarts (Charles) in particular the most so any resources for that are helpful too.
I’m keeping on getting 13-15/20 with my essays. How do I get minimum 16/20? I do edxecel
Reply 51
Original post by I.Stockton
Coursework has to be handed in on Monday, I was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat because it feels like I’m currently drowning with it. Clarity is what I struggle with so is there any advice in how to become clearer in my arguments?

Sorry if its late
My coursework deadline(internal) was before christmas
I struggled with this so my history teacher said to always ask your self when you are writing does this answer my question for investigation - if not how can i change this to answer the question .
Pray to God everything goes well
Original post by 670351
Sorry if its late
My coursework deadline(internal) was before christmas
I struggled with this so my history teacher said to always ask your self when you are writing does this answer my question for investigation - if not how can i change this to answer the question .
Pray to God everything goes well

Ah! At least you got it over with and didn’t have to sit on it over Christmas. I handed mine in but the deadline’s been extended again, at this point it’ll be going into the February mocks! I wonder if all papers will be this painful or is coursework just a different breed of work.
Hi, I got a E on my latest history mock does anyone have any tips on how to improve so I can get a C in the real thing ?
Original post by whitechocofrappe
Hi, I got a E on my latest history mock does anyone have any tips on how to improve so I can get a C in the real thing ?

Give more time to practice the past papers!
It will be more useful instead of just reading and memorising the content
Has anyone got any good podcast recommendations for the Lenin to Yeltsin soviet union course?
Reply 56
Original post by c8406
Hi. I'm with OCR and really struggling with starting my coursework off, it seems alot to do and I'm becoming overwhelmed with how much there is, making me procrastinate even more

Hiya, I feel like a really helpful way to go around starting the coursework is to clearly split your point into at least 3 distinct parts. Then, I feel like finding a large collection of evidence is the next step rather than trying to begin writing it because learning more about it helps a lot with ultimately your judgment.
Original post by c8406
Hi. I'm with OCR and really struggling with starting my coursework off, it seems alot to do and I'm becoming overwhelmed with how much there is, making me procrastinate even more

Hi. I am 5 months in and procrastination is really getting to me too. It is so overwhelming all the things that need to be done that I don't want to start anything at all.
Hi, I’m a Year 13 student on the Edexcel Exam Board. studying Britain Transformed 1918–79, USA Boom, bust and recovery 1920–55, Tudors (Rebellions and Disorders) 1485–1603 And civil rights for coursework.
Strengths: The economy and Own Knowledge.
Weaknesses: structure (struggling to achieve beyond 16/20 on essays.) and coursework.
I am projected an A. But I am aiming for an A* to match my other subjects.
(Looking for a study group)
Original post by ticktackkitkat
HELP! I am doing an exam question for The Handmaid's Tale:
"Analyse the ways in which Margaret Atwood creates a sense of threat in the first 20 chapters of 'The Handmaid's Tale'. You must relate your discussion to relevant contextual factors."
I am struggling to think of points and quotes to write about as my teacher wants it to be 4 pages long. Does anyone have any ideas? It's due Monday. Please Help!

Is this history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending