The Student Room Group

A-level History Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
Is this history?

So sorry! Just realised I sent it to the wrong chat. It’s English Lit.
Reply 61
Original post by c8406
Hi. I'm with OCR and really struggling with starting my coursework off, it seems alot to do and I'm becoming overwhelmed with how much there is, making me procrastinate even more

Hi, I'm with the AQA board and I'm in Year 12 studying the Revolution and Dictatorship in Russia (1917 - 1953) and Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy (1603 - 1702). We are starting our coursework in April, I'm nervous so I've been collecting facts and figures and books and historians on each area I'm interested in. My teacher told us that the question is the part you have time to figure out and is the hardest part including its wording. So, look into areas that interest you, collect dates, and figures, and make notes on anything you are reading in relation to it. Then you can narrow it down, if you don't have as much time, pick a topic you did at GCSE and build on it (if you are indecisive like me) or something you enjoy (if you aren't indecisive) and compile a fact file of historians, books, websites, facts and more, then you can ask your teacher for help on how to word your question, and continue from there. Hope this helps anyone who is procrastinating :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by SilentArcher2303
Hey There,
I’m on the AQA exam board.
My topics are Tsarism Russia and Britain Post WW2
My coursework in on the Golden Age of Piracy

I know it's not a source But OFMD is such a good show about piracy- I would love to do that for my coursework.
Hello History students! :yeah: Just dropping in to let you know we have a new project launching next week to help you with your revision. TSR Study Together - STEM vs Humanities! It's going to be a fun and social way to stay on track and you can find out how it works here. Come along and help rep the Humanities! :biggrin:
Original post by ashlynx113
Hey I am busy self studying CIE International Option History. I'm aiming for an A* but I don't know how much detail there should be for my summaries. If my textbook is 250 pages should I have closer to 50 or a 100 pages of notes? Any resources for International Option would also be welcome!

Hi! I am also studying this option. I have some summary notes that my teacher gave me I can try and give them to u if u want. How is exam prep going for you? I am taking As for paper 3 but paper 4 is a struggle for me right now. If you have any tips it would be very helpful. Also, which theme is your favourite?
Original post by PearsAndApples
I have an urgent question if anyone knows...i am doing coursework rn on Russia and long story short just need to know if it's deemed correct to refer to the plural form of the noun 'Duma' as 'Dumas' or something else?

Also i am with OCR as an exam board.
I hate history.
And i struggle with all of it - Stuarts (Charles) in particular the most so any resources for that are helpful too.
I think Duma is both single and plural noun.

i.e. "The Tsar shut down the First Duma after two months" and "The Tsar shut down the First and Second Duma" are both correct
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level History Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:
Hey

I do AQA tudors and cold war. Does anyone have predictions for the 2024 paper?
Original post by em2413698
Hey
I do AQA tudors and cold war. Does anyone have predictions for the 2024 paper?

Hiii, do you have any notes for cold war/ resources you use to revise it?
Original post by user3547368
Hiii, do you have any notes for cold war/ resources you use to revise it?

Hey, post-A Level student/Uni student here, when I was revising Cold War for AQA, I used the revision guide that AQA makes, has really good and brief notes to help you remember things. Also, for things like detente or the end of the Cold War where there are lots of treaties to remember, I recommend making posters and just looking at them everyday familiarising yourself with the locations, dates and what happened there! 🙂
Original post by PearsAndApples
I have an urgent question if anyone knows...i am doing coursework rn on Russia and long story short just need to know if it's deemed correct to refer to the plural form of the noun 'Duma' as 'Dumas' or something else?
Also i am with OCR as an exam board.
I hate history.
And i struggle with all of it - Stuarts (Charles) in particular the most so any resources for that are helpful too.

Hi I do Charles asw - it sucks. I did Russia at GCSE and we referred to them as Dumas then.
Thank youuuu!! Also where do I find the aqa revision guide
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi I am really struggling to understand clash of ideologies for CCEA A2 2024 exam, I usually use Quizlet to revise however, I find this topic really hard to make Quizlets on, I’ve tried summarising PowerPoints and writing notes and then trying the “look,cover write” method with little success, I’ve also tried the blurting technique with little success, I was wondering if you could help me?
HELLLPPP. How can I go from C to A before exams?I'm stressed and I don't know what I'm doing wrong
Original post by user3547368
Thank youuuu!! Also where do I find the aqa revision guide

Think I got mine from Amazon for about £10, have a look there :smile:)
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by Pwca

Hi guys,
Does anyone know the difference between Humble Remonstrance, Solemn Engagement, Representation of the Army, Agreement of the people and Heads of Proposals? I do this for OCR A-level but any info on the difference from any board or level would be amaze!
Original post by kitty2005
HELLLPPP. How can I go from C to A before exams?I'm stressed and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Are you doing essay plans? People in a similar situation in my year have mainly been told by the teachers to re-focus their revision. If you know the content then the main thing is organising it. For example; gathering together all the knowledge you have on rebellion and then dividing them up into nature, so for example was it because of religion, was it because of land/territory, was it for socio-economic reasons? Then if you were to get a question on, for example, X factor was the main cause of X rebellion, how far do you agree? You would have a really good structure already in store to use. Genuinely if you have 1-2 essay plans for topic and sub-topic there's nothing that the exam board should be able to phase you with. If you're stuck for questions look at past papers online or ask your teachers!! Sorry that was a little rambley but I hope it helped! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Hi,
I need some advice!

Is it better to study a few different subtopics from different courses per day, or focus on one course per week?

For example today:
USA course -Topic 3a
Britain course -Topic 1b
Witchcraft course -Topic 2

Tomorrow:
USA course -Topic 4c
Britain course -Topic 3a
Witchcraft course -Topic 4

Or should I devote a week to one course at a time:
i.e: Revise all USA Topics this week
Next week all Britain Topics
Week after all Witchcraft topics
(Obviously, once per week focus a whole day on recapping all topics from one of the prior courses i.e: During USA course week, use Saturday to recap all Britain course)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending