The Student Room Group

Santander railcard

I'm thinking about opening a Santander student account initially for the railcard, and then probably switching to Starling/similar as I prefer the function of it... as far as I can see Santander require 500 GBP paid in per term, which if this is actually the requirement is pretty easy. So, does anyone know if you can just have your maintenance set to pay into here and then move the money into another account? Other than this, if you close the account or switch to another, do you still keep the 4 year railcard? Or is it one of the setups where they give you a one year one each year?
Hello,

I have a Santander student account myself and the way I've found it is having your maintenance set to pay into the account and moving the money over into my original bank account helps me to budget a lot as well as meet the minimum amount paid in each term. You do get to keep the railcard, you're given a code for a four year railcard and this is yours to keep.

Hope this helps!
Original post by cikachu
I'm thinking about opening a Santander student account initially for the railcard, and then probably switching to Starling/similar as I prefer the function of it... as far as I can see Santander require 500 GBP paid in per term, which if this is actually the requirement is pretty easy. So, does anyone know if you can just have your maintenance set to pay into here and then move the money into another account? Other than this, if you close the account or switch to another, do you still keep the 4 year railcard? Or is it one of the setups where they give you a one year one each year?
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hello,

I have a Santander student account myself and the way I've found it is having your maintenance set to pay into the account and moving the money over into my original bank account helps me to budget a lot as well as meet the minimum amount paid in each term. You do get to keep the railcard, you're given a code for a four year railcard and this is yours to keep.

Hope this helps!

Brilliant, thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by cikachu

Bear in mind that paying in £500 per term is not the only requirement. There's also a term that says "The account must be used as your main or primary current account."

So if you just have your maintenance loan paid into the account and then move the money straight out into another account elsewhere, then you won't be complying with the letter (or the spirit) of the account's terms and conditions. Santander are likely to notice that your use of the account isn't consistent with it being your "main or primary" current account, and could choose to restrict or limit the services it offers on the account, or even close it completely.

You might well find that the interest-free overdraft facility offered by a student account is actually more of a benefit to you than a free railcard, depending on your financial position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending