The Student Room Group

Instagram account maybe hacked

Got a notification that someone else logged into my insta account and then it said I can change the password to secure my account so I did that and logged out and logged in again with the new password, but I'm still a bit worried they might have access to my account. If I've done the above, does that mean they have been logged out now and can't access my account?
Original post by Redrobinbird
Got a notification that someone else logged into my insta account and then it said I can change the password to secure my account so I did that and logged out and logged in again with the new password, but I'm still a bit worried they might have access to my account. If I've done the above, does that mean they have been logged out now and can't access my account?

Are you absolutely sure that the e-mail you received was really from Instagram itself? Having read it, did you click on any links/buttons in order to get to Instagram (to change your password)? Do you have two-factor authentication enabled?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you absolutely sure that the e-mail you received was really from Instagram itself? Having read it, did you click on any links/buttons in order to get to Instagram (to change your password)? Do you have two-factor authentication enabled?

It wasn't an email, it was a notification on my actual account. And I could see the location and the device name of the new person who logged in. I reset the password on my account, not through an email. And I didn't have 2 factor authentication before but I have set it up now. And now on the settings it says only I am logged into my account so I think it's all good?
It wasn't an email, it was a notification on my actual account. And I could see the location and the device name of the new person who logged in. I reset the password on my account, not through an email. And I didn't have 2 factor authentication before but I have set it up now. And now on the settings it says only I am logged into my account so I think it's all good?

I agree - it sounds like you're good now (particularly as you now have two-factor authentication enabled).

Was your previous password used for any other accounts / services / apps? If so, it might be wise to change those too.

I assume you the location and device name of the person who logged into your account weren't familiar to you?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
I agree - it sounds like you're good now (particularly as you now have two-factor authentication enabled).

Was your previous password used for any other accounts / services / apps? If so, it might be wise to change those too.

I assume you the location and device name of the person who logged into your account weren't familiar to you?

Yeah that's a good point, thank you. And yeah the location and device name were unfamiliar to me.
the settings say only you are logged into your account

does it mean only your technological device is signed into your Instagram account?

Have you been able to successfully login to your account again?

I am guessing that if you have now activated 2FA they are less likely to have access to your account but I am not entirely sure.

Interestingly, I got hacked in March and recovered my account through video selfie verification in April. I turned on 2FA after I recevered my account and before that I didn't even know that Instagram has 2FA. Yet in July (when I had 2FA on) I got a notification that someone in Iraq tried to login to my account and it said i should change my password to secure my account. I then changed my password as it wouldn't let me proceed if I didn't change my password. I couldn't see the device name of the person.

I am not entirely sure if someone actually got into my account because I didn't see any messages sent to my contacts and I didn't see any stories or posts being sent that I didn't make.

You said that before this incident you didn't have 2FA.
Did you know that Instagram has an option for 2FA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending