The Student Room Group

Year 9-2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by whoskaavya
okay thank you SO much that's super helpful I think i'll go for history over geography. unfortuneatly we do need to do a language so i think ill do spanish

Hey there, Kavya! So, I'm really into history and geography, and I just love learning about both of them. I have to admit, though, that I'm definitely more of a history buff - my teacher is seriously the best! But don't get me wrong, geography is pretty cool too! PLUS , I took both history and geography as a gcse!
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
Hey there, Kavya! So, I'm really into history and geography, and I just love learning about both of them. I have to admit, though, that I'm definitely more of a history buff - my teacher is seriously the best! But don't get me wrong, geography is pretty cool too! PLUS , I took both history and geography as a gcse!

u didn’t take creative subjects did you? I mean like art drama music dt stuff
Reply 22
So, you are right i havent chosen any "creative subjects" subjects for my GCSEs, The reasons are like you draw a really amazing picture, but the teacher sees it differently and grades it lower than expected. I don't want that to happen!

I'm actually pretty good at Art, but I don't think I'd choose it as one of my GCSE subjects. I enjoy it more as a hobby than something I want to be tested on.

Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
u didn’t take creative subjects did you? I mean like art drama music dt stuff
Reply 23
Original post by Alm_xo
So, you are right i havent chosen any "creative subjects" subjects for my GCSEs, The reasons are like you draw a really amazing picture, but the teacher sees it differently and grades it lower than expected. I don't want that to happen!

I'm actually pretty good at Art, but I don't think I'd choose it as one of my GCSE subjects. I enjoy it more as a hobby than something I want to be tested on.

RS is compulsary in my school btw so I took computer science , geo and his
wow all three humanities!!
Reply 25
wow all three humanities!!

Haha, my school wanted me to take at least one EBacc subject, so I thought why not go for all three!
I am worried about my computer science GCSE as my school uses OCR and this year's exam was the most difficult one the teachers have ever seen. I wonder how it will be in three years.
yeah I'm also doing OCR computer science, which is although a little scary, but I do really enjoy programming, which is why I'm certain I'll be taking it no matter what.
Reply 27
Original post by Alm_xo
Hey everyone,
sorry for the delay in responding to this thread. I completely forgot about it, which was pretty irresponsible of me.:biggrin:
Anyway, let's get back on track.:h:

How has your Year 9 been going?

As for me, things are going well so far. I've started my history GCSE and I'll be taking the exam at the end of Year 10, which is kind of crazy to think about.:eek:

I’ve moved to another school in yr 9 and I’m trying to make friends!!! I feel like I’m average or above in most of the subjects
Reply 28
Original post by Alm_xo

Haha, my school wanted me to take at least one EBacc subject, so I thought why not go for all three!
I am worried about my computer science GCSE as my school uses OCR and this year's exam was the most difficult one the teachers have ever seen. I wonder how it will be in three years.

Same I’m taking computer science as well and plus my teacher isn’t that good all he do is read our worksheets with info and we do questions and I’m acc worried
Reply 29
Original post by Maxi2009
I’ve moved to another school in yr 9 and I’m trying to make friends!!! I feel like I’m average or above in most of the subjects

Welcome to our Year 9 thread!

We're all here to help each other out, so don't hesitate to ask for any advice or assistance you need.
Let's keep things friendly and respectful, folks!
Same I’m taking computer science as well and plus my teacher isn’t that good all he do is read our worksheets with info and we do questions and I’m acc worried

my physics teacher is similar and we’re self studying alll the way
i’m doing computing too btw :smile:

how’s your new school going?
my physics teacher is similar and we’re self studying alll the way
i’m doing computing too btw :smile:

bro my physics teacher is so bad but im asking my parents to buy me the CGP textbook so i can self study
Original post by whoskaavya
bro my physics teacher is so bad but im asking my parents to buy me the CGP textbook so i can self study

dr hall? yeah i’m currently trying to self study with the kerboodle textbook honestly
we have a test next week and i feel like we haven’t learnt what we’re meant to
if ur parents don’t get u the cgp book then kerboodle’s the best you can do

good news however I got 40/43 on my chem test!
bad news too - I completely failed my classics test and since it’s also a competition entry I have to basically rewrite most of it UGHHHH 😭
dr hall? yeah i’m currently trying to self study with the kerboodle textbook honestly
we have a test next week and i feel like we haven’t learnt what we’re meant to
if ur parents don’t get u the cgp book then kerboodle’s the best you can do

good news however I got 40/43 on my chem test!
bad news too - I completely failed my classics test and since it’s also a competition entry I have to basically rewrite most of it UGHHHH 😭

yeah same for hpysics
well done on the chem! i also got a 9 so im also super happy.
dw too muhc abt classics its meant to be a fun subject ig but it sucks you have to rewrite it 😭
Reply 35
Hey guys, I'm so glad you guys made a Y9 thread even though I'm 2 months late to it 🤣

Y9 has been going good so far except for the fact that we have 1 or 2 tests every week CONSISTENTLY. Tbh I think that they're just spreading out the tests but I would rather that they did all of them on the last week of half-term. We choose our subjects at the end of Y9 cuz our school is kind of late to everything but I will probably take geography, computing, spanish and maybe business studies?

If you guys want help in physics there is https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/ and https://my.educake.co.uk/student-login. I find these pretty useful!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 36

My computing teacher literally just reads off the power point 💀 At this point I'm just hoping that quizlet is enough
Reply 37
Btw does anyone have any advice for revising english? Is anyone doing Inspector Calls, Macbeth or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Th4t1kid
Btw does anyone have any advice for revising english? Is anyone doing Inspector Calls, Macbeth or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?

Hey there! We're currently studying "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" and I'm feeling a bit lost on how to prepare for it too I learnt as we were learning pre-historic gothic literature. To study for it, I'd suggest searching for words that describe gothic elements like grotesque characters, macabre, and melancholy - These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. By the way, we're also analyzing "Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe, which I think is one of the best extracts we've gone through so far, and it's also related to gothic literature.
(edited 5 months ago)
guys this is an alt account because i forgot my password but im 'FlyingSquirrel10'
anyway about the english, we havent actually started gcse english yet! i think were currently improving our essay/analysing skills with this book called Anita and Me, which is actually quite an interesting book, but Im finding that picking good quotations and memorising them when you have no idea what the exam question will be is EXTREMELY hard..

about the gcses, my school is choosing them in feb, im taking spanish, computing, i was certain about geography until i absolutely failed my recent test but ill probably still take it, and maybe drama? because my school recommends (but doesn't force us) to take atleast 1 humanity and creative subject.. my computing teacher isnt that bad but we havent even started the course yet so i guess we will see

Quick Reply

Latest