The Student Room Group

Year 9-2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Th4t1kid
My computing teacher literally just reads off the power point 💀 At this point I'm just hoping that quizlet is enough

in computing we just did bebras which was actually harder than the previous two years of bebras?? (i did them every year)..
after this we're doing appshed again, which im good at so im not too worried, and thats why im definitely taking computing!
which exam board are you doing? maybe you could buy a textbook?? my physics teacher is like that and we're not learning anything but the school gives us an online kerboodle textbook
Btw does anyone have any advice for revising english? Is anyone doing Inspector Calls, Macbeth or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?

english is hard to revise for honestly
im planning on making a page per theme/character/example essay question but we will see if im actually bothered to do all that, hah.
i also think that just revising essay structures and all that kinda thing is good and memorising some 'good' vocab and flexible quotations (that can be used for a range of essay questions)
Reply 42
I'm absolutely thrilled that such amazing year 9 students like you are supporting this thread! You guys are doing an awesome job, so let's keep it up with the same enthusiasm!
hello Year 9s (didnt even though a thread for you guys existed :biggrin:) - any general questions/queries about GCSEs you may have, you can ask them here: ask away: questions about GCSEs - The Student Room
Reply 44
Original post by i_am_a_potato
english is hard to revise for honestly
im planning on making a page per theme/character/example essay question but we will see if im actually bothered to do all that, hah.
i also think that just revising essay structures and all that kinda thing is good and memorising some 'good' vocab and flexible quotations (that can be used for a range of essay questions)

THANK YOU, that is really helpful even though I don't know if I can focus that much either haha
THANK YOU, that is really helpful even though I don't know if I can focus that much either haha

I guess good luck to the both of us lol
my english exam is on the 11th of december and i’m currently working at 15/20 (though this might have increased when she marked my practice essay, I don’t think so tho) so i’m hoping i’m bothered and it all works out!
when’s your exam (if you have one)?
Reply 46
Original post by whoskaavya
okay thank you SO much that's super helpful I think i'll go for history over geography. unfortuneatly we do need to do a language so i think ill do spanish

haha! At my school, we have to do Spanish ☹️ We also only get 2 options for out gcses, not including history or geography. I chose history, triple science and computer science.
Original post by PL4G3
haha! At my school, we have to do Spanish ☹️ We also only get 2 options for out gcses, not including history or geography. I chose history, triple science and computer science.

im doing computing too! what exam board, mines ocr
how’s life going everyone?
I have a biology test tomorrow (that I haven’t revised for) and on sunday i’m setting up a crochet stall at my schools christmas fair (I hope I make a profit) I also haven’t even started crocheting anything so that’s not great and i’ll be at extra curricular most of saturday so friday will be my saviour haha
Reply 49
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
im doing computing too! what exam board, mines ocr

I'm not sure, But i think it's ocr too. Either that or AQA.
how’s life going everyone?
I have a biology test tomorrow (that I haven’t revised for) and on sunday i’m setting up a crochet stall at my schools christmas fair (I hope I make a profit) I also haven’t even started crocheting anything so that’s not great and i’ll be at extra curricular most of saturday so friday will be my saviour haha

gl for the crocheting! i think ive seen pics of ur stuff - it looks amazing!
gl for the crocheting! i think ive seen pics of ur stuff - it looks amazing!

thank you so much!! I really hope it goes well..
Original post by PL4G3
I'm not sure, But i think it's ocr too. Either that or AQA.

cool
apparently ocr is written exams which is confusing because it’s computing?? probably got the wrong information though haha
also ocr was apparently much harder this year so that’s not great
Reply 53
I guess good luck to the both of us lol
my english exam is on the 11th of december and i’m currently working at 15/20 (though this might have increased when she marked my practice essay, I don’t think so tho) so i’m hoping i’m bothered and it all works out!
when’s your exam (if you have one)?

I have my topic test (on crime and creative writing!) on the 4th Dec but I haven't revised for it yet so fingers crossed
Reply 54
when do/did you all start year 9? i havent started yet - for anyone who did start did you get like a gsce assembly given we start some of the core subjects gsce courses (maths and science for my school i think)

I started year 9 this august and now am half way through midterms.. In our schl they basically have a system where mathematics, religious studies, foreign language and english are compulsory subjects... there are 3 subjects chosen depending on which stream u pick. science stream: triple sciences. business stream: econ, business and accounts. Arts stream: English literature, geography and history. there is one more optional subject u can choose to study. so we have to do total 8 subjects in the exams
Original post by Law-ren
I started year 9 this august and now am half way through midterms.. In our schl they basically have a system where mathematics, religious studies, foreign language and english are compulsory subjects... there are 3 subjects chosen depending on which stream u pick. science stream: triple sciences. business stream: econ, business and accounts. Arts stream: English literature, geography and history. there is one more optional subject u can choose to study. so we have to do total 8 subjects in the exams

isnt english literature mandatory? also, does that mean you can’t choose english, biology and economics if you wanted to?
hey, this is a question - im also gonna post it seperately but i figured this might get more answers and more helpful answers, basically, we have an english essay next friday, and its without our reading or class books. ive never done an essay like that before so does anyone have any tips to revise quotes, analysis or just how to write a good essay?
hey, this is a question - im also gonna post it seperately but i figured this might get more answers and more helpful answers, basically, we have an english essay next friday, and its without our reading or class books. ive never done an essay like that before so does anyone have any tips to revise quotes, analysis or just how to write a good essay?

same school so same
BUT MINES ON MONDAY HELP (and I haven’t started revision)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Law-ren

I can't believe you had to start in August though😭 What subjects do you want to take and what foreign languages can you take?
Reply 59

I would say try to figure out what kind of question is going to come up so that you can plan your structure but generally the structure is Point, How (quotes), Why (bigger picture/impact). Are you going to analyse a literary technique or a character?

Quick Reply

Latest