The Student Room Group

Year 9

Hi , I am a pupil who moved to another grammar school in London for year 9, and I’ve started my GCSEs. I feel like my level are the same with my classmates, and at my old school I was always at the top of the class and I always pay my full attention in class.My new school was a lot stricter, and I got homework nearly every day (which takes around 35 mins to finish) however, there’s one thing that’s bothering me, every day when I get home, I do my homework the first thing then I just chill, however, this is making me feel guilty when I think that I will be doing my GCSEs, I feel like I should be studying, not just chilling, but I have no exams coming up so I don’t need to revise for anything, plus school just started for me. Sometimes, if things I’m class I don’t understand, I will always re visit it when I get home, I go on BBC bitesize and re-read them and to the test. However, that only took around 10 mins and I’m just feeling really guilty for not revising. Is this what everyone else does or am I just being too lazy? Would I achieve top grades if I carry on what I do for the whole of year 9?
Reply 1
i mean personally, year 9 is not that deep. its pretty much your last year before you really have to start taking things seriously. i'd recommend that you stay on top of revision if you do want to use your free time by making flashcards or revising concepts u covered before. you're only at the start of the year so you can make the most of it by just chilling but i'd say as you start to approach october, make sure you've got good revision habits and all your notes are in tip top shape :P you could also ask for extension work bc teachers will note that you have been trying to stretch yourself and thats a good thing. hope that helps
Reply 2
i chilled hard (did hw though) until jan in y11 gcses, got 9,9,9,9,9,9,8,7,7,6
mid grades if you think so, so literally a bit more work and i could've got all 9s. only care about y10 and y11, those year rlly matter (i was predicted **** in y10 for gcses so I probably tried more after that, but ramped up way more in y11)

Original post by Maxi2009
Hi , I am a pupil who moved to another grammar school in London for year 9, and I’ve started my GCSEs. I feel like my level are the same with my classmates, and at my old school I was always at the top of the class and I always pay my full attention in class.My new school was a lot stricter, and I got homework nearly every day (which takes around 35 mins to finish) however, there’s one thing that’s bothering me, every day when I get home, I do my homework the first thing then I just chill, however, this is making me feel guilty when I think that I will be doing my GCSEs, I feel like I should be studying, not just chilling, but I have no exams coming up so I don’t need to revise for anything, plus school just started for me. Sometimes, if things I’m class I don’t understand, I will always re visit it when I get home, I go on BBC bitesize and re-read them and to the test. However, that only took around 10 mins and I’m just feeling really guilty for not revising. Is this what everyone else does or am I just being too lazy? Would I achieve top grades if I carry on what I do for the whole of year 9?
hello Maxi :smile:
if you don't have school assignments or exams to revise for, i wouldn't revise extra :smile:
keep up the good work

Quick Reply

Latest