The Student Room Group

Summer courses or work experience for UK uni application?

I want to do biochemistry (for now) in uni and aiming for the G5. I'm starting my a level in this September (2024), so I was thinking would participating in summer courses appeal more in UCAS application or is having work experience more attractive to the tutors?
I'm not entirely sure what G5 is, however I'm looking into medicine / biochemistry too! I started my A levels this academic year, and here's my honest opinion. Depending on what summer course you do, realistically the main benefit of it will be what you get out of it to enhance your skill set and you as a person. Sure, they can be great to put on a personal statement but if you were going to do something purely for that, I would suggest the work experience, where you can gain what you want from it, but is also a huge part of your statement! If still stuck, ask some other people who have tried both, I've only currently done work experience...

I hope this helps!
'Summer courses' (whatever they are) or work experience will not count for anything in themselves.

What UK Universities want to see is evidence of your academic engagement with your intended subject - evidenced in your Personal Statement by discussion of relevant topics of interest beyond your A level syllabus.

To do this, you need to read and use other resources - you do not need to attend specific courses or events.

Start with some of the books etc on this list from Oxford (good for all Unis) - Recommended Reading List | Biochemistry (ox.ac.uk). Some Moocs (short free online courses) may also be useful - one example An Introduction to Biochemistry - Online Course (futurelearn.com)
Reply 3
May I ask what did you do for your work experience? I'm not sure what should I aim for in terms of what should I put in my application ( or is it too early?idk hahaha), some of my friends are doing summer courses over this summer holiday and I'm scared that I'll be lacking experience in that field when making the application(if that makes sense). G5 unis are oxbridge, imperial, ucl and lse.
Original post by Denise101
May I ask what did you do for your work experience? I'm not sure what should I aim for in terms of what should I put in my application ( or is it too early?idk hahaha), some of my friends are doing summer courses over this summer holiday and I'm scared that I'll be lacking experience in that field when making the application(if that makes sense). G5 unis are oxbridge, imperial, ucl and lse.

Ah ok! Well first of all you've got to be certain as to what you want to do at uni, otherwise the experience will be a waste, and secondly no worries! Take your time, and if you are feeling really stressed, maybe try get onto a friend's course who's thinking of doing a similar uni course? It's never too early to start, but don't get stressed about it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending