The Student Room Group

criminal justice/criminology

Hey, I live in the uk and am thinking about my a level choices/colleges at the moment, I want to do a degree in criminal justice in the usa for university (college in the usa), but if I do criminology for my A level in the uk then you learn about the law/crime in the uk not the usa. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could do? It's ideal to stay in the uk for a levels as I have a place at the Royal college of music (junior department) until the end of year 13.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by ericwintermyfav
Hey, I live in the uk and am thinking about my a level choices/colleges at the moment, I want to do a degree in criminal justice in the usa for university (college in the usa), but if I do criminology for my A level in the uk then you learn about the law/crime in the uk not the usa. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could do? It's ideal to stay in the uk for a levels as I have a place at the Royal college of music (junior department) until the end of year 13.

Hi! It's great you are interested in crim, it's an amazing field and I love it. To be honest (some people may disagree), I would avoid doing criminology for an undergraduate degree in the US. I am an American and I came to the UK to study criminology specifically because it is so poor in the US. Criminology in the US is extremely underdeveloped and most of the good scholarship that comes out of the US related to crime comes from economics, sociology, or political science. If you want to study criminology in the US, I would look at those sorts of courses and anticipate doing a master's degree in crim later.

If you feel you must go to the US to study crim specifically, I would look at John Jay and ask their admissions team to see what they recommend. It is also important to remember that, at least to my understanding, what A-levels you take don't really matter for US admissions since you are often not restricted to a specific course.

Hope this was helpful, happy to answer any questions you might have.

Quick Reply

Latest