The Student Room Group

brutal career advice needed

I'm planning on working for the NCA. Home office or civil service. It's always been a goal of mine but I didn't receive the grades to opt for more academically inclined subjects, resulting in me choosing criminology with sociology as my degree. I have no issue with committing to this degree as I do find it interesting, however, after a rough weekend of research, it's come to my interest that this degree Is rather useless and many people regret it.

is this true?
I guess you may be as well asking the NCA?

Common advice is your degree (often) doesn't matter that much and employability / transferable skills do matter - except for more technical roles. Relevant placement / work experience is worth a lot

I have worked across many gov departments, the number of History graduate always surprises me - its talent the Civil Service tends to look for

Just to check, you meet the citizenship stuff?
Reply 2
Original post by ChiefBrody
I guess you may be as well asking the NCA?

Common advice is your degree (often) doesn't matter that much and employability / transferable skills do matter - except for more technical roles. Relevant placement / work experience is worth a lot

I have worked across many gov departments, the number of History graduate always surprises me - its talent the Civil Service tends to look for

Just to check, you meet the citizenship stuff?

I meet all the citizenship criteria. I can also speak two languages that is usually required for many government departments and protection services. I'm just starting to get worried about the 'criminology' part of the degree since a lot of people say it is useless in the long run :/
There's not a lot of 40 year olds with criminology degrees because it wasn't a common or popular subject 20 years ago.

So if you look at the degrees of 40+ year olds then there's going to be very few with criminology degrees. But that doesn't mean the employment prospects are poor just that it's a newer subject compared to others. 20-30 years ago people would normally study criminology topics as part of a sociology or social studies degree.

If you think it will be interesting and you'll be able to get a good degree classification then go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
There's not a lot of 40 year olds with criminology degrees because it wasn't a common or popular subject 20 years ago.

So if you look at the degrees of 40+ year olds then there's going to be very few with criminology degrees. But that doesn't mean the employment prospects are poor just that it's a newer subject compared to others. 20-30 years ago people would normally study criminology topics as part of a sociology or social studies degree.

If you think it will be interesting and you'll be able to get a good degree classification then go for it!

thanks for this, that is true. All these student room post and Quora posts about crim degrees are usually more than 9 years old. I'm always worried that I'll be in competition with law graduates or history graduates :/
Original post by gyahrralist
thanks for this, that is true. All these student room post and Quora posts about crim degrees are usually more than 9 years old. I'm always worried that I'll be in competition with law graduates or history graduates :/

I mean you might be - but those graduates will likely not have been interested and preparing for those grad recruitment processes for years so you'll have the advantage on them of knowing more about the job roles available, what's involved, how the recruitment process works etc etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending