The Student Room Group

Russell Group Universities

I'm looking at Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and Southampton universities for Geography (2024) and they all happen to be Russell group.

There is definitely a stigma around these unis but I'm wondering what personal experiences people have had at them? Are any particularly difficult to get into ???
Original post by tillie06
I'm looking at Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and Southampton universities for Geography (2024) and they all happen to be Russell group.

There is definitely a stigma around these unis but I'm wondering what personal experiences people have had at them? Are any particularly difficult to get into ???

If you want a prestige ranking - you’ve pretty much listed it. What do you mean by stigma?
Reply 2

they are not really difficult to get into- geography isnt a highly competitive degree like the stems. i applied for geography last year at all russell groups and recieved all offers; just make sure you have good predicted grades and personal statement
Reply 3
Original post by sami1815
If you want a prestige ranking - you’ve pretty much listed it. What do you mean by stigma?

From people I've spoken there seems to be a general consensus of these unis being quite 'elitist' and absolute geniuses! Of course these are very good unis, so the students must be very intelligent but I'd be worried about being on a different wavelength to people if I applied there/ wouldn't be impressive enough as a candidate
Reply 4
Original post by taev95
they are not really difficult to get into- geography isnt a highly competitive degree like the stems. i applied for geography last year at all russell groups and recieved all offers; just make sure you have good predicted grades and personal statement

Thank you for your help!!
That's good to know. Congratulations on your offers! Did you accept an offer?
My predicted grades aren't bad but I am a bit worried about the personal statement. Is there any advice you'd give regarding that?
Reply 5
Thank you for your help!!
That's good to know. Congratulations on your offers! Did you accept an offer?
My predicted grades aren't bad but I am a bit worried about the personal statement. Is there any advice you'd give regarding

Yes, I'll be studying at the LSE. As for personal statement, make sure to include your critical analysis ( for example your thought on a book) also when your talking about work experience dont just list it mention what you took from it. I do human geo so this might differ from phsyical! I also recommend you look at each university modules and explore that theme
Reply 6
From people I've spoken there seems to be a general consensus of these unis being quite 'elitist' and absolute geniuses! Of course these are very good unis, so the students must be very intelligent but I'd be worried about being on a different wavelength to people if I applied there/ wouldn't be impressive enough as a candidate

dont let that deter you from applying to russel unis! Plus it is more like that in oxford and cambridge less in notts/sheffield tbh
Reply 7
Original post by taev95
Yes, I'll be studying at the LSE. As for personal statement, make sure to include your critical analysis ( for example your thought on a book) also when your talking about work experience dont just list it mention what you took from it. I do human geo so this might differ from phsyical! I also recommend you look at each university modules and explore that theme

That's really helpful thank you!

At all those universities you’ll get different crowds you will defo find people that you get on with. For geography I imagine it’s not super competitive so you should be fine just hit their requirements and you should get an offer. The most competitive courses are typically stem, law etc

Hey,
I am a student at Sheffield, and although I am not studying geography, my housemate is. I would say that Sheffield as a University is not elitist, it has been focusing on diversity and inclusion for a long time and the student cohorts are very varied. There is a good mixture of people who are very relaxed and those who are working hard - most people do both at different times in the degree, but it is not an overly pressurised environment. The Russell group status just tends to mean that the university is more focused on research and incorporates results from research into it's teaching, which is a good thing as it increases the standard of the teaching. I have had friends from school go to all of the other universities listed and they have loved it there too. I would not stress to much about it being a Russell group, or feel like that means you have to be overly impressive. If you think you can get the grades and the university looks like somewhere you would enjoy studying and living then apply for it and try not be too put off by the status.
I hope this helps, if you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 10
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
I am a student at Sheffield, and although I am not studying geography, my housemate is. I would say that Sheffield as a University is not elitist, it has been focusing on diversity and inclusion for a long time and the student cohorts are very varied. There is a good mixture of people who are very relaxed and those who are working hard - most people do both at different times in the degree, but it is not an overly pressurised environment. The Russell group status just tends to mean that the university is more focused on research and incorporates results from research into it's teaching, which is a good thing as it increases the standard of the teaching. I have had friends from school go to all of the other universities listed and they have loved it there too. I would not stress to much about it being a Russell group, or feel like that means you have to be overly impressive. If you think you can get the grades and the university looks like somewhere you would enjoy studying and living then apply for it and try not be too put off by the status.
I hope this helps, if you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Thank you Evie!
That's really helpful to know. At the open days I've been to I have definitely liked the environment and general feel of the universities - just still hard to envisage them from the point of view of actually attending sometimes! Particularly at unis such as Bristol, where there is so much competition for places, I'm worried if good grades are enough for me to conceive of being accepted.
A specific question for Sheffield. The majority of unis I have looked into are cities/lively environments as I am looking for something very far away from what I'm used to (small village in Oxfordshire) and I'd seen people saying the location of Sheffield uni has a bit of a village feel and I'm just wondering if you think of it as like that? Don't want something that feels too similar to home if that makes sense!
Thank you for your help - Tillie
Thank you Evie!
That's really helpful to know. At the open days I've been to I have definitely liked the environment and general feel of the universities - just still hard to envisage them from the point of view of actually attending sometimes! Particularly at unis such as Bristol, where there is so much competition for places, I'm worried if good grades are enough for me to conceive of being accepted.
A specific question for Sheffield. The majority of unis I have looked into are cities/lively environments as I am looking for something very far away from what I'm used to (small village in Oxfordshire) and I'd seen people saying the location of Sheffield uni has a bit of a village feel and I'm just wondering if you think of it as like that? Don't want something that feels too similar to home if that makes sense!

Go to an open day. That will help you decide if it is for you.
i aint no genius and I am at the uni of nottingham, theres gonna be smart people but also people who arent the smartest but yeah youll find that at every uni.

I went to Bristol so could answer questions about there. I would say most people are middle class and a lot of people were privately educated but you do get a mix of people. I think it depends on your course too, nearly everyone I met who did Law, Econ or engineering was really posh and a bit snobby. This also applied for the humanities to an extent too. But I bristol does have a mix of people so you will find your crowd. I imagine its about as posh or maybe a little less than exeter but a lot less than places like durham, st andrews etc.
Reply 14
Original post by sami1815
I went to Bristol so could answer questions about there. I would say most people are middle class and a lot of people were privately educated but you do get a mix of people. I think it depends on your course too, nearly everyone I met who did Law, Econ or engineering was really posh and a bit snobby. This also applied for the humanities to an extent too. But I bristol does have a mix of people so you will find your crowd. I imagine its about as posh or maybe a little less than exeter but a lot less than places like durham, st andrews etc.

That's similar to my expectation of it, thanks so much for your response!
In regards to Bristol facilities, on my open day visit, many buildings were closed due to staff strikes so I missed out on seeing them in detail. What did you think of the study spaces/libraries etc.?? Also, is it generally affordable as a city? Thanks again
Reply 15
Hey,

Definitely, not all those unis are elitist. I go to Exeter which is known for being elitist. There are definitely a lot of what some people may "privileged" students. But most of them are down to the earth and nice once you get to know them. I've had a lot of laughs from them getting to know more about my culture as a black person.

Also, never judge a book by its cover. The people who may seem well off to you may not be at all. A lot of people assume I'm not privileged cos of my skin colour, but I definitely acknowledge the monetary privilege I have compared to other people.

Alsoit may be worth checking diversity and inclusion statements, reports, and rankings if you are very concerned.
That's similar to my expectation of it, thanks so much for your response!
In regards to Bristol facilities, on my open day visit, many buildings were closed due to staff strikes so I missed out on seeing them in detail. What did you think of the study spaces/libraries etc.?? Also, is it generally affordable as a city? Thanks again

There are some really nice study places and libraries, to be honest as a uni I think it was pretty good, and socially was good fun. its cheaper than London but that is about it, rent was getting really high when I left, sort of 600-700pcm, I imagine the other unis on your list are cheaper. What are you planning on studying? Like I said course depends, cause for something Bristol is really good at like engineering or law so it attracts a slightly more snobby crowd.
Reply 17
From people I've spoken there seems to be a general consensus of these unis being quite 'elitist' and absolute geniuses!

What kinds of people do you speak with?
Thank you Evie!

Hi,
I am about to start my third year at the University of Sheffield and definitely feel it is a city. Majority of the student accommodation is in Endcliffe or Ranmoor, while this could feel a little village-like with around 4,500 students living there and a student bar, common room, gym and shop (the Village store) as part of the accommodation, it is close enough to the city centre to be able to experience a city.
Sheffield is a city with over 60,000 students and can be quite busy at times, especially if there is a football match on. Whilst there are a lots of parks and green spaces which can make the city seem more relaxed than others, there is also pub quizzes, museums, theatres, and music festivals.
I completely understand not wanting to go somewhere that feels the same as home but I would say Sheffield doesn't have a village feel.
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending