The Student Room Group

Getting an A* for IAL Science

Hello,
I am a 12th grade student who will be writing my Edexcel IAS exam in MAY 2024. My subjects are Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I have an average of 55 in my latest exam. To be honest, this is my first time doing an international curriculum which has a different way of answering questions. However, without the aid of tuition classes I was able to gain this sort of an average. My question is, will I be able to gain 3As in my IAS exam which is just 4 exact months away from today ? I am willing to work extremely hard and well-determined during these 4 salient months. Please provide me with a genuine and a fair answer. Thank you.

P.s. A response is required immediately and will be much appreciated.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AMAYA WIJESINGHE
Hello,
I am a 12th grade student who will be writing my Edexcel IAS exam in MAY 2024. My subjects are Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I have an average of 55 in my latest exam. To be honest, this is my first time doing an international curriculum which has a different way of answering questions. However, without the aid of tuition classes I was able to gain this sort of an average. My question is, will I be able to gain 3As in my IAS exam which is just 4 exact months away from today ? I am willing to work extremely hard and well-determined during these 4 salient months. Please provide me with a genuine and a fair answer. Thank you.

P.s. A response is required immediately and will be much appreciated.

Hi Amaya! I'll also be doing my IAS exam this May. I'm having one paper this January. I think you'll be able to get 3As, if you start working from now on. You've gotten a good average without any aid of tuitions, so if you put in some more work its possible. I suggest starting by going through the textbook and understanding your lessons before going into class. And after the class, you do practice questions based on what you learned. Also, make use of YouTube videos and online notes. https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ this website, has pastpapers, revision notes, flashcards and topical questions that will help you alot. It has all the subjects. https://chemrevise.org/ this website also has detailed notes and important info is put in boxes.
Hope this helps you!!
Feel free to ask for more tips.
Original post by Noora Mubarak
Hi Amaya! I'll also be doing my IAS exam this May. I'm having one paper this January. I think you'll be able to get 3As, if you start working from now on. You've gotten a good average without any aid of tuitions, so if you put in some more work its possible. I suggest starting by going through the textbook and understanding your lessons before going into class. And after the class, you do practice questions based on what you learned. Also, make use of YouTube videos and online notes. https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ this website, has pastpapers, revision notes, flashcards and topical questions that will help you alot. It has all the subjects. https://chemrevise.org/ this website also has detailed notes and important info is put in boxes.
Hope this helps you!!
Feel free to ask for more tips.

Thank you dear Noora ! Your words have sparked a great interest in me. Much appreciate and grateful for those very encouraging words. I am already using the mentioned websites and its resources. However, YouTube Videos are something I must look into more.

Furthermore, I made a weekly plan starting from the 01st of January 2024 hoping to work accordingly. This plan is kind of extremely full and requires lots of energy and time. Like I said, such work is mandatory if I am to get 3As in my upcoming exam. But I find it a really hard task to stick to the plan/ stay focused. I always get distracted by many things especially the mobile phone. Could you please give me some advice that I could take up in order to stay focused and determined 24/7 ?

Since you and I are the same age, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Thank you. Waiting for your reply
Thank you dear Noora ! Your words have sparked a great interest in me. Much appreciate and grateful for those very encouraging words. I am already using the mentioned websites and its resources. However, YouTube Videos are something I must look into more.

Furthermore, I made a weekly plan starting from the 01st of January 2024 hoping to work accordingly. This plan is kind of extremely full and requires lots of energy and time. Like I said, such work is mandatory if I am to get 3As in my upcoming exam. But I find it a really hard task to stick to the plan/ stay focused. I always get distracted by many things especially the mobile phone. Could you please give me some advice that I could take up in order to stay focused and determined 24/7 ?

Since you and I are the same age, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Thank you. Waiting for your reply

No problem, Amaya!
It's a good thing that you are planning. Discipline is needed to follow any plans, but you need to push through. In your weekly plan, first plan out your rest times (when you'll chill and use your phone or do other activities) after that you can plan your day around that. Then you won't be using your phone during study times because you already allocated time to use it. Also, apps such as Forest is handy since you can use the Pomodoro timer and it needs your phone to be on the app to work so you can't open any other apps while studying. Watch Studywithme on YouTube, it helps you get motivated to study.

Also, another important thing is that every day won't be the same. Some days you'll be more productive than other days and that's completely okay. Just stay consistent, even if it's one hour of studying or less. While studying, also take breaks, and during those breaks just stand up and walk around to calm your mind before returning to studying. You won't be able to be focused 24/7, and that's okay because we are humans after all. So, get your 8 hours of sleep, eat well, drink water, and have fun. It's important to have a balance between work and life.
Hope this helps you!
All the best and don't hesitate to reach out for anything.
Thank You Dear Noora !. Your words have encouraged me greatly. I find myself slowly getting back on the track. I hope my performance will keep growing. Once again. Thanks alot . I hope everything goes well for you and for me aswell. Thank you and Good Luck !
Thank You Dear Noora !. Your words have encouraged me greatly. I find myself slowly getting back on the track. I hope my performance will keep growing. Once again. Thanks alot . I hope everything goes well for you and for me aswell. Thank you and Good Luck !

You're most welcome, Amaya!
No problem, if you need anything don't hesitate to reach out. I'd try my best to answer.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest