The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry or Further maths

Hi, I'm currently taking A level Maths, Further maths, and physics. I really enjoy Further maths but I've been considering whether to drop it for chemistry.

I'm not aiming for a really big university, most likely I'll end up attending a local one like University of Birmingham or Warwick. So I don't really know if I need further maths or not. I'm thinking of dropping it and changing it to Chemistry as it might help more with future job opportunities in different industries. I'm looking to go into engineering or become a pilot, or something in accountancy. but I'm not certain yet

I've practically only got around 2-3 days to change it now so I'd appreciate any support. I'm really confused.

I enjoyed chem at gcse and left with a Grade 9, so I want to know what everyone here suggests. Thanks
Original post by Duckity
Hi, I'm currently taking A level Maths, Further maths, and physics. I really enjoy Further maths but I've been considering whether to drop it for chemistry.

I'm not aiming for a really big university, most likely I'll end up attending a local one like University of Birmingham or Warwick. So I don't really know if I need further maths or not. I'm thinking of dropping it and changing it to Chemistry as it might help more with future job opportunities in different industries. I'm looking to go into engineering or become a pilot, or something in accountancy. but I'm not certain yet

I've practically only got around 2-3 days to change it now so I'd appreciate any support. I'm really confused.

I enjoyed chem at gcse and left with a Grade 9, so I want to know what everyone here suggests. Thanks

Other than Chemical Engineering, I can't think of any degree course related to your ambitions to "go into engineering or become a pilot, or something in accountancy" for which having studied Chemistry would be preferred over having studied Further Maths.

If you want to switch because you might prefer it, or because you might get a better grade in it, then do so. But I don't follow your "it might help more with future job opportunities in different industries" argument, given what you say you ultimately want to do. Nor do I see this as a valid "keeping my options open" gambit. For that, you'd switch to a humanity / essay-based subject.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Other than Chemical Engineering, I can't think of any degree course related to your ambitions to "go into engineering or become a pilot, or something in accountancy" for which having studied Chemistry would be preferred over having studied Further Maths.

If you want to switch because you might prefer it, or because you might get a better grade in it, then do so. But I don't follow your "it might help more with future job opportunities in different industries" argument, given what you say you ultimately want to do. Nor do I see this as a valid "keeping my options open" gambit. For that, you'd switch to a humanity / essay-based subject.

but wouldn't I be restricted with just these 3 subjects? I was thinking by changing fm to chem I'd be able to potentially enter the medicine field if I ever decide to in the future
Original post by Duckity
but wouldn't I be restricted with just these 3 subjects? I was thinking by changing fm to chem I'd be able to potentially enter the medicine field if I ever decide to in the future

Your original post mentioned nothing about Medicine. It said, "I'm looking to go into engineering or become a pilot, or something in accountancy. but I'm not certain yet." :confused:
Original post by Duckity

If you want to enter medicine then chem is definitely needed but if your not sure about it, it might just be a waste of time plus with medicine you technically have until the end of year 12 to decide if you want to do it (so a while) as admissions test happen then and you would also want to gain some work experience.
Reply 5
Are you able to add chemistry and do 4 a levels?
Reply 6
Original post by lilysilly_5454
If you want to enter medicine then chem is definitely needed but if your not sure about it, it might just be a waste of time plus with medicine you technically have until the end of year 12 to decide if you want to do it (so a while) as admissions test happen then and you would also want to gain some work experience.

Thank you so much for the advice. I thjnk you're right about that. because I'm not really certain on medicine it's just something I thought it'd be good to have, and if what you're sayings right, then it's not worth doing chem for it if I'm not 100 percent sure on it. at max it's probably a 20 percent chance I'll go into any type of medicine.

Thanks so much for your advice. I think I'll stick with the fm maths physics combo.

I wanna ask, would unis hate that tho? like would they consider those 3 subjects too narrow with too much maths?

the universities I currently plan on trying are uni of Birmingham, Warwick,, potentially imperial, and maybe 1 of oxbridge depending on the grades I get. the course would be mechanical or aerospace engineering
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Are you able to add chemistry and do 4 a levels?

I'm not really looking to do 4 a levels tbh, since right not further maths is already consuming a decent amount of time and our schools chem department is notoriously known for giving heaps of homework to ensure you understand the content, alot more than other subjects. so I don't think I'd want to do it as a 4th alongside those 3 other demanding subjects
Original post by Duckity
Thank you so much for the advice. I thjnk you're right about that. because I'm not really certain on medicine it's just something I thought it'd be good to have, and if what you're sayings right, then it's not worth doing chem for it if I'm not 100 percent sure on it. at max it's probably a 20 percent chance I'll go into any type of medicine.

Thanks so much for your advice. I think I'll stick with the fm maths physics combo.

I wanna ask, would unis hate that tho? like would they consider those 3 subjects too narrow with too much maths?

the universities I currently plan on trying are uni of Birmingham, Warwick,, potentially imperial, and maybe 1 of oxbridge depending on the grades I get. the course would be mechanical or aerospace engineering

Look at entry requirements for unis I know a lot about medicine cause I'm similar to you in year 12 i chose bio chem and psych thou as i definitely want to go into medicine. you just need to research what you want to do and establish a foundation do some work experience in careers like online or even just webinars that go over what careers you want to do if you message me privately and specify what you wanna go into i can send you some links for online work experience or things
Reply 9
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Look at entry requirements for unis I know a lot about medicine cause I'm similar to you in year 12 i chose bio chem and psych thou as i definitely want to go into medicine. you just need to research what you want to do and establish a foundation do some work experience in careers like online or even just webinars that go over what careers you want to do if you message me privately and specify what you wanna go into i can send you some links for online work experience or things

Is it alright if you drop me a message? I don't use this website much so I don't fully know how.

I think tbh I mainly wanna do something like accounting or become a pilot. and I wouldn't mind something like engineering. chemistry interests me but I've never really been into medicine itself, like becoming a doctor or making medicine etc
Original post by Duckity
Is it alright if you drop me a message? I don't use this website much so I don't fully know how.

I think tbh I mainly wanna do something like accounting or become a pilot. and I wouldn't mind something like engineering. chemistry interests me but I've never really been into medicine itself, like becoming a doctor or making medicine etc

i can try i dont know exactly how

Quick Reply

Latest