The Student Room Group

personal statement/biomedical science

Should I mention that i want to be a physician associate as in the personal statement you have to mention your future plans or should I just say "i want to be a biomedical scientist"
Original post by lx kaur
Should I mention that i want to be a physician associate as in the personal statement you have to mention your future plans or should I just say "i want to be a biomedical scientist"

There are PA degrees you can do if you want to be a PA, why don’t you do one of those instead?
Reply 2
Original post by Mintkoala
There are PA degrees you can do if you want to be a PA, why don’t you do one of those instead?

i can't as they need chemistry and biology but I don't have chem (I am doing bio, psy and health and social care)
Hi I got into biomed doing a foundation year, I didn’t have biology or chemistry alevel. There’s an option to do a science foundation year after that apply for the 4 year PA course.
Original post by lx kaur

Hey @lx kaur

As long as you show your passion for the subject, I don't think you need to get very specific with your future career plans. When I wrote my biochemistry personal statement I just mentioned that I was excited to contribute to the growing potential of the degree - so very vague as I had, and still have, no clue what I want to do! Universities don't need to hear your planned career path for the next five years, especially because 3-4 years is a long time and many people change directions and interests during their degree anyway! :smile:

I hope I could help!
Rebecca
Reply 5
Thanks Rebecca
do u think u need to do Bmat for biomed?? I am getting soo confused
I am applying for Aston, wolverhampton, nottingham trent, staffordshire and warwick
It would be grateful if you could answer asap please
thanks a lot
Reply 6
Original post by lx kaur

If you have looked at all your options and have decided you will still like to do Biomed, I would solely focus on Biomed on your personal statement. The careers services at your university afterwards can help you reach PA :smile:
Hi I’m also thinking of doing a foundation year to get into biomed. Can I ask what your personal statement was like- did you have to mention doing foundation year? Thanks
Original post by lx kaur

Hey! I've just graduated from Biomedical science, in my personal statement, like Rebecca has mentioned, I just spoke about my passion for the subject and how I enjoyed Biology and I had done a couple of days of work experience which I talked about as well. My friend is about to start the PA masters and she didn't know she wanted to do that at the time so she wouldn't have written that, and she has a place and is due to start in september. If you have any questions about biomed or physicians associate (my friend has talked lots about it so I know lots now!) please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!- Emily:smile:
Original post by UCLan Student
Hey! I've just graduated from Biomedical science, in my personal statement, like Rebecca has mentioned, I just spoke about my passion for the subject and how I enjoyed Biology and I had done a couple of days of work experience which I talked about as well. My friend is about to start the PA masters and she didn't know she wanted to do that at the time so she wouldn't have written that, and she has a place and is due to start in september. If you have any questions about biomed or physicians associate (my friend has talked lots about it so I know lots now!) please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!- Emily:smile:

Hi Emily thanks for replying, can I ask what kind of work experience you did or what would be good for my personal statement for biomed:smile:
Reply 10
I ve volunteered at a nursery for a month and I am about to start volunteering at my local hospital, But I am actually not sure if I should mention about volunteering in nursery because it is not that much related to biomed i guess, but any idea on what should I write about that and how to link it with biomed?
and also do you study brain anatomy in biomed?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by raih2007
Hi Emily thanks for replying, can I ask what kind of work experience you did or what would be good for my personal statement for biomed:smile:

Hi raih2007,

Any lab-based work experience would be ideal, or perhaps pharmacy related work experience. I studied Biology at UCLan but had done a few days work experience in a Pathology lab, on a maternity ward and in a pharmacy.

Hope this helps

Chelsea :biggrin:
Original post by lx kaur

In 2014, I applied to the University of Surrey and Hertfordshire for biomedical science with a personal statement (PS) completely geared towards medicine (I was also applying for 3 foundation year medical courses) and got both offers. So having a general PS or one tailored to another medical career isn't an issue, provided your PS shows you have the core skills and interests they're looking for (e.g intellectual curiosity, relevant transferrable skills, suitable motivation etc).

However, if you want to be a PA, as others have said, just do an undergraduate PA course from the beginning. They're only 4 years long, which should save you at least one year of time and money, since the postgrad (masters) PA programmes are 2 years.
Reply 13
Hi I also might do science foundation year to get into biomed, did you have to mention the foundation year in your personal statement? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending