The Student Room Group

benefits of handwriting lecture notes

Not a question as such but news of some interesting research reported in The Economist this week into the benefits of handwriting your lecture notes. Research by Muller & Openheimer (2014) found that while students who typed their lecture notes wrote twice as many words and verbatim passages than handwriters, they did not understand the material as much as handwriters.
Handwriting may take longer (and therefore make it virtually impossible to capture lecture material verbatim) so it requires notetakers to convert lecture material into their own words. This, they argue, aids conceptual understanding at the moment of writing. It was also found that handwriters performed better on tests when based on revising their notes.
I would add to this that handwriting in a lecture and then typing notes up later would add another layer of understanding. Or, if time is limited, going over handwritten notes immediately after the lecture to highlight, edit or add stuff would be beneficial.
Memorisation is the biggest benefit, **** note taking on a laptop or tablet.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Not a question as such but news of some interesting research reported in The Economist this week into the benefits of handwriting your lecture notes. Research by Muller & Openheimer (2014) found that while students who typed their lecture notes wrote twice as many words and verbatim passages than handwriters, they did not understand the material as much as handwriters.
Handwriting may take longer (and therefore make it virtually impossible to capture lecture material verbatim) so it requires notetakers to convert lecture material into their own words. This, they argue, aids conceptual understanding at the moment of writing. It was also found that handwriters performed better on tests when based on revising their notes.
I would add to this that handwriting in a lecture and then typing notes up later would add another layer of understanding. Or, if time is limited, going over handwritten notes immediately after the lecture to highlight, edit or add stuff would be beneficial.

Thanks. This is interesting and makes sense.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
This is the research that I have been foisting upon my students for almost ten years. They still don't listen :lol:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
This is the research that I have been foisting upon my students for almost ten years. They still don't listen :lol:

Ha! Glad to add another voice to this!
Original post by gjd800

2nd that, it's a simple equation, student's hand written on the fly notes in, better engagement and higher exam marks out.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800

My daughter handwrote for term 1 but her friends told her she was wasting her time and being inefficient. 😁
I can absolutely vouch for this, and for having paper notes in general. I hate working from a screen but I also find that writing stuff out more neatly or experimenting with making it into essay paragraphs is very useful when done by hand.
Original post by Cote1
My daughter handwrote for term 1 but her friends told her she was wasting her time and being inefficient. 😁

It's only a waste (and it is) if you mean copying them out again "in neat" after the lecture, if you do it real time in the lecture theatre that's time you have already committed to learning anyway.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending