The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Im a Psychology student at Kent - ask me anything! (2022/2023)

As results day is approaching I thought I would create a thread about what its like to study Psychology at the University of Kent. Im going into my final year so if you have any questions about the course or about uni in general then feel free to ask them here!

Best of luck to everyone getting their results tomorrow!:yeah:

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep:biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Joanna!,I would just like your thoughts on the course and the social life in the area as the campus looks really nice. Thanks
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by jturnham
Hi Joanna!,I would just like your thoughts on the course and the social life in the area as the campus looks really nice. Thanks

Hi there! :smile:

In general I would say the greatest thing about studying psychology is that it is a very broad degree which can allow you to work in many industries as most things in day to day life relate to psychology. Some examples are that you can go into criminology, law, forensics, business, education, sports and the list goes on. For me, my favourite part about psychology at Kent is how diverse the modules are. There are so many more areas of psychology than i originally thought before I came to uni so even though you are studying the same course for 3/4 years, every module brings a new perspective such as biopsychology, forensic psychology and developmental psychology and this really encourages you to challenges the way you think. If you did want to check out the general course structure and modules covered then ill leave a link to it here:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/49/psychology

As for Psychology at Kent, I love how the school of psychology has a community feel to it. We have a psych society that run events throughout term time such as quizzes, game nights, pub crawls, movie nights etc so theres always something for everyone and you can bring your non psych friends. My experience with lecturers/staff has been really positive so far, they respond quickly to emails, ask students to stay behind if they don't want to ask their questions in front of everyone and they go through feedback in seminars which from speaking to some of my external friends, seems to be something that isn't done at many other unis. I had a bit of a dilemma this year when i was deciding whether to do an additional placement year or not because I read somewhere online that if i didn't have work experience then I wouldn't find a job post grad so was really stressing about having to do an extra year. I emailed my academic advisor who teaches the area of psych i'm interested in and he arranged a face to face meeting. The meeting lasted around an hour and I never felt rushed to speak quickly. He listened and we talked through a pros and cons list where i eventually decided I was going to do some work experience at the psychology department instead of taking a whole year out.

I lived on campus for the first 2 years of my degree and its honestly a really lovely comfortable environment to be in. There are many accommodation options that are spread throughout campus and many college's have their own bars or eateries. These spaces are really social as they host karaoke nights, open mic nights, quizzes, eating competitions and in general are just a great way to meet people. K bar was my college bar and my flat and I always go there to play pool in the evenings as its less than a 5 minute walk away from out flat. Some of the other social spaces also have table tennis and air hockey. We also have our own on campus nightclub called Venue which is most famous for hosting Vensday (on Wednesday) where societies go in fancy dress and cheesy hits are played. There are also club nights with other music genres such as rap/Rnb.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any specific questions about campus or psychology :u:

Joanna
Is it easier to handwrite notes or type them? thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SadieLeePalmer
Is it easier to handwrite notes or type them? thanks

Hi Sadie

This is a great question and one that really depends on what works best for you. I personally wanted to handwrite my notes as I find that writing helps me absorb information better. However, I started the year handwriting my notes in class and realised early on that lectures can be quite fast paced if you're a slow writer like me! After some trial and error I've found a method that works better for me. I now prefer to type rough notes during the lecture and then rewrite them on paper after. Not only does this keep me organised as I have all my work in a folder, but it also helps me go over the content so i know if there are any areas that I need to follow up.
Like i mentioned note taking is very versatile and there really is no right or wrong way of doing it. :smile: Many of my friends type their notes and have them saved in folders on their one drive. I also know people who type and then print their notes so that they have both an online and physical copy to help them revise. My advice would be to use the first few weeks/month of uni to try different methods and see what works best for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi Sadie

This is a great question and one that really depends on what works best for you. I personally wanted to handwrite my notes as I find that writing helps me absorb information better. However, I started the year handwriting my notes in class and realised early on that lectures can be quite fast paced if you're a slow writer like me! After some trial and error I've found a method that works better for me. I now prefer to type rough notes during the lecture and then rewrite them on paper after. Not only does this keep me organised as I have all my work in a folder, but it also helps me go over the content so i know if there are any areas that I need to follow up.
Like i mentioned note taking is very versatile and there really is no right or wrong way of doing it. :smile: Many of my friends type their notes and have them saved in folders on their one drive. I also know people who type and then print their notes so that they have both an online and physical copy to help them revise. My advice would be to use the first few weeks/month of uni to try different methods and see what works best for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep :biggrin:

Thats makes total sense thank you, are lectures and workshops long? I've heard some people say they are 3 hours but not sure if this is true
Original post by SadieLeePalmer
Thats makes total sense thank you, are lectures and workshops long? I've heard some people say they are 3 hours but not sure if this is true

At Kent they are most definitely not 3 hours long so don't worry!

You have one lecture a week per module and each lecture tends to be around 2 hours although this does usually include a 15 minute break where you can get up, go to the toilet or refill your bottle.
Our statistics lectures are only 1 hour as the content is less theoretical and sometimes you are given a worksheet to go through in your own time.
Seminars are also only 1 hour and the amount you have per week will depend on which modules you are taking and if you are in first, second or third year. In first year you don't have as many and they are mainly used to consolidate information learnt in lectures where as in second year they are used more as revision/feedback sessions so occur weekly.
Practicals/Workshops usually take place once a week and are between 1 hour and 1 hour 30. These are called labs and is where you work on practical coursework usually in groups. These are mandatory and count towards your grade.

Hope this helps :smile:

Joanna
At Kent they are most definitely not 3 hours long so don't worry!

You have one lecture a week per module and each lecture tends to be around 2 hours although this does usually include a 15 minute break where you can get up, go to the toilet or refill your bottle.
Our statistics lectures are only 1 hour as the content is less theoretical and sometimes you are given a worksheet to go through in your own time.
Seminars are also only 1 hour and the amount you have per week will depend on which modules you are taking and if you are in first, second or third year. In first year you don't have as many and they are mainly used to consolidate information learnt in lectures where as in second year they are used more as revision/feedback sessions so occur weekly.
Practicals/Workshops usually take place once a week and are between 1 hour and 1 hour 30. These are called labs and is where you work on practical coursework usually in groups. These are mandatory and count towards your grade.

Hope this helps :smile:

Joanna

Thank you this helped a lot :smile:
As results day is approaching I thought I would create a thread about what its like to study Psychology at the University of Kent. Im going into my final year so if you have any questions about the course or about uni in general then feel free to ask them here!

Best of luck to everyone getting their results tomorrow!:yeah:

Joanna

Hi what did your first year timetable look like if you remember? were you in every day
Original post by flashork14
Hi what did your first year timetable look like if you remember? were you in every day

Hi there :smile:

I don't remember the exact layout of my first year timetable but we did around 4/5 modules per term. Each module had one lecture a week (between 1-2 hours) and there weren't many seminars in first year (probably a couple per month). Timetables vary each year but for the most part I think I had 1/2 really busy days and then the rest of the week would consist of some lectures dotted here and there. I believe I had Fridays off but this wasn't always the case as sometimes we would have study skills or a seminar (these weren't every week though).

Hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Hi Joanna,

I was wondering, is there a specific building in which psychology lectures generally take place? In that case, what is the building called, and which undergraduate accommodation(s) would be located closest to the psychology lectures? I'm not sure if all the lectures take place in the same building/area or if they are randomly distributed throughout the campus in which case there wouldn't be any one accommodation that would be most convenient. In either case, I would love to know as I will be studying Psychology at Kent next academic year and am trying to decide which accommodation building(s) to apply to. :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by tokyo2023
Hi Joanna,

I was wondering, is there a specific building in which psychology lectures generally take place? In that case, what is the building called, and which undergraduate accommodation(s) would be located closest to the psychology lectures? I'm not sure if all the lectures take place in the same building/area or if they are randomly distributed throughout the campus in which case there wouldn't be any one accommodation that would be most convenient. In either case, I would love to know as I will be studying Psychology at Kent next academic year and am trying to decide which accommodation building(s) to apply to. :smile:

Thank you!

Hi there :smile:

Congratulations on your place at Kent!
The school of psychology is located in the Keynes building on campus. This is a large building with around 3 floors and facilities such as labs, computer rooms, the psychology common room, study rooms, lecture theatres, seminar rooms etc. Whilst most psychology lectures take place in this building, some can take place in other part of the uni. This will usually depend on the size of the class and the availability of the lecture theatres for that particular time. That being said, I have never had to walk more than 10 minutes for the furthest lecture and that was only once a week.

In terms of accommodation I would personally recommend taking a look at Keynes flats/houses as that is about a 2 minute walk from the main building (if even that). I lived in Keynes flats for both my first and second year and really enjoyed my experience. I felt close to everything and it meant that i didn't have to wake up ridiculously early for 9ams. Other accommodation that is near to Keynes is Turing. Turing is located behind the Keynes accommodation so not very far at all. Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Hi Joana, do you know anything about MSc Psychology (distance learning) program at Kent? Iv been told it has been launched this year. Would you happen to know the faculty members who are running the course. Also, I was wondering does the uni allow distance learners to graduate on campus and is the degree they receive mention "distance/online learning". Most uni's iv checked with invite students to graduate on campus and the degree they receive is the same as the on campus students. But I haven't been able to find enough information on the website. I would be grateful if you can find this out. I have a few offers , however I am really leaning towards Kent, for its great reputation in Psychology. Looking forward to hear from you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Joana, do you know anything about MSc Psychology (distance learning) program at Kent? Iv been told it has been launched this year. Would you happen to know the faculty members who are running the course. Also, I was wondering does the uni allow distance learners to graduate on campus and is the degree they receive mention "distance/online learning". Most uni's iv checked with invite students to graduate on campus and the degree they receive is the same as the on campus students. But I haven't been able to find enough information on the website. I would be grateful if you can find this out. I have a few offers , however I am really leaning towards Kent, for its great reputation in Psychology. Looking forward to hear from you.

Hey!

As you said, this is a new course so unfortunately, we as reps don't know too much about the finer details, but I have dropped the programme director's email for the course below who can hopefully help you out! But as someone who did both my undergrad & master's in Psychology at Kent, I can definitely say it is great for psychology! I'm now going into my 6th year at Kent (I'm currently doing a PhD in Psychology here), so that's definitely a testament to how much I like the uni :biggrin:

The Programme Director for the MSc Psychology Distance Learning/Conversion course (which I'm pretty sure is the one you're talking about) is Professor Markus Bindemann, who you can contact here: [email protected] - he will almost definitely be able to answer your questions for you! :h:

Best of luck with everything & we hope you choose Kent!!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

As you said, this is a new course so unfortunately, we as reps don't know too much about the finer details, but I have dropped the programme director's email for the course below who can hopefully help you out! But as someone who did both my undergrad & master's in Psychology at Kent, I can definitely say it is great for psychology! I'm now going into my 6th year at Kent (I'm currently doing a PhD in Psychology here), so that's definitely a testament to how much I like the uni :biggrin:

1. How did you shape your personal statement for masters programme?

2. How did you find tests where you need to write with a pen and paper.??? TY :h:
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

The Programme Director for the MSc Psychology Distance Learning/Conversion course (which I'm pretty sure is the one you're talking about) is Professor Markus Bindemann, who you can contact here: [email protected] - he will almost definitely be able to answer your questions for you! :h:

Best of luck with everything & we hope you choose Kent!!
Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Thank you so much for your reply. This really helps. :smile:

Kind regards

Mitali
1. How did you shape your personal statement for masters programme?

2. How did you find tests where you need to write with a pen and paper.??? TY :h:

Hey!

Firstly, for the master's personal statement, it was a few years ago so I'll try to remember as much as I can! :h: I tried to really highlight my interest in pursuing psychology beyond just undergraduate level. I personally did the MSc Organisational & Business Psychology course at Kent, so a lot of my personal statement focused on why I was specifically interested in applying psychology to business cases. I'm pretty sure I talked about extra relevant research experience I had which made me suitable for the course, as well as initial plans for research and my dissertation. I also discussed parts of the course that specifically related to my future career plans and how it would benefit me.

In terms of exams with pen and paper, we only had these in the second year (as my final year and master's exams were online due to COVID), and most of these were multiple choice question exams, so there was less pressure to write quickly! I think I had 2 essay-based handwritten exams in second year, and I found I was able to get most of what I wanted to say down, as long as I was well-prepared before hand! I think if you have really good revision techniques (AKA planning an essay for each topic in the module with additional reading that could be applied to different specific questions), you'll be good to write on whatever comes up!!

Hope this helps, sorry for the vague master's personal statement answer, I applied for 2021 entry and my memory isn't great :biggrin:

Natalie
Hi Natalie,

Thank you so much for your reply. This really helps. :smile:

Kind regards

Mitali

Hey,

You're welcome! Let me know if there's anything else you need/any other questions come up! :smile:

Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending