The Student Room Group

Do uni modules impact future prospects greatly?

What I really want to know is how are modules considered by potential employers/are they? Should you pursue uni modules to explore different pathways only, or ought you to considere employability?

Note that this is with the idea of not pursuing a Masters, I'm just interested :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by mossyrevelations
What I really want to know is how are modules considered by potential employers/are they? Should you pursue uni modules to explore different pathways only, or ought you to considere employability?

Note that this is with the idea of not pursuing a Masters, I'm just interested :smile:

Thanks!

Hi,

I graduated a few years ago, so hopefully can offer some insight! I personally pursued further study in Psychology (master's and PhD), so obviously the university wanted to see my transcripts (though they were mainly interested in the research methods module from what I've heard now). I also know someone who got on to a forensic psychology master's at a different university without doing the forensic psychology module at undergrad!

Aside from the master's/PhD side, a lot of my friends went on to do graduate schemes or apply for graduate jobs, and they didn't ask what modules they did during their time at university at all. To be honest, I think employers are more interested that you have the relevant degree (and maybe whether it's accredited or not) rather than the specific modules you took! I know some people have them listed on their LinkedIn/CV, but I'm not sure whether people are actually interested in them! I don't know anyone who has been specifically asked about what modules they took, so I don't think it'll affect employability! It's more to do what you'll find most interesting I think :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

I graduated a few years ago, so hopefully can offer some insight! I personally pursued further study in Psychology (master's and PhD), so obviously the university wanted to see my transcripts (though they were mainly interested in the research methods module from what I've heard now). I also know someone who got on to a forensic psychology master's at a different university without doing the forensic psychology module at undergrad!

Aside from the master's/PhD side, a lot of my friends went on to do graduate schemes or apply for graduate jobs, and they didn't ask what modules they did during their time at university at all. To be honest, I think employers are more interested that you have the relevant degree (and maybe whether it's accredited or not) rather than the specific modules you took! I know some people have them listed on their LinkedIn/CV, but I'm not sure whether people are actually interested in them! I don't know anyone who has been specifically asked about what modules they took, so I don't think it'll affect employability! It's more to do what you'll find most interesting I think :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey, thank you very much for the informative reply! That's really helpful, I appreciate it :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending