The Student Room Group

GCSEs : is this realistic?

Can you resit the basics like GCSE science (triple) , maths (did foundation got a 4 when was mentally ill so of course will do higher and haven’t done maths in three years) , english lang and then teach new other subjects? is this doable? Can I get good grades like 7-9s ???
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
depends on how much time you have left
Original post by futuremedgirl
Can you resit the basics like GCSE science (triple) , maths (did foundation got a 4 when was mentally ill so of course will do higher and haven’t done maths in three years) , english lang and then teach new other subjects? is this doable? Can I get good grades like 7-9s ???

Why isn’t it doable? If lots of people get those grades why can’t you? Also I suspect that your wanting to apply for medicine (looking at your username) so check out individual med schools requirements and if they allow gcse resits
Original post by megan_xay
depends on how much time you have left

From now until May/June

Original post by B7861
Why isn’t it doable? If lots of people get those grades why can’t you? Also I suspect that your wanting to apply for medicine (looking at your username) so check out individual med schools requirements and if they allow gcse resits

Yes, I haven’t actually decided yet as it’s a big decision for me as I don’t know if I can get those grades. I did re take my maths once already but was not in a good state and got a four (my GCSEs in 2020 were teacher predictions and got a 2 as I never tried due to me being ill from bullyong for six years and didn’t care which is my fault as i should havw tried ) and then I re took English Language as well with my maths and got a 3 because I struggle with reading huge texts and ran out of time so then the next time I got extra time and had an anxiety attack and ended up with a 4. I am on the waiting list to get diagnosed with Autism , Adhd and dyslexia so idk if that’s the cause of all my reading issues. But I am really interested in science and I honestly really want to get into either Radiology or Gynaecology.
I know I’ll do well with the maths and science but the english I struggle with so I’m going to have to try and try.
I don’t know if med schools will accept these re sits though. My application would look really bad wouldn’t it?
From now until May/June

Yes, I haven’t actually decided yet as it’s a big decision for me as I don’t know if I can get those grades. I did re take my maths once already but was not in a good state and got a four (my GCSEs in 2020 were teacher predictions and got a 2 as I never tried due to me being ill from bullyong for six years and didn’t care which is my fault as i should havw tried ) and then I re took English Language as well with my maths and got a 3 because I struggle with reading huge texts and ran out of time so then the next time I got extra time and had an anxiety attack and ended up with a 4. I am on the waiting list to get diagnosed with Autism , Adhd and dyslexia so idk if that’s the cause of all my reading issues. But I am really interested in science and I honestly really want to get into either Radiology or Gynaecology.
I know I’ll do well with the maths and science but the english I struggle with so I’m going to have to try and try.
I don’t know if med schools will accept these re sits though. My application would look really bad wouldn’t it?

I don’t know much about resit policy for GCSEs at med schools, so I recommend looking into it
Original post by B7861
I don’t know much about resit policy for GCSEs at med schools, so I recommend looking into it

Ok, thank you!! Should I email some or just look at entry requirements?
Ok, thank you!! Should I email some or just look at entry requirements?

Just look on their websites and email them, best thing to do
Original post by B7861
Just look on their websites and email them, best thing to do

Thanks for your help
Bump
Bump
Bump

what more advice do you need?
Hey if you want any specific advice on your gcse's feel free to pm
Original post by username6384948

Hi. As for learning and refreshing your memory in maths after 3 years it's definitely doable. I did my maths (higher) gcses and got a 4 (I was also struggling with a lot of mental health issues) after a 2 year break I started working on A level maths and got a 7 (All while self studying) if your motivated and dedicated you can definetly get good grades.

Quick Reply

Latest