The Student Room Group

Building chemistry with housemates

How did you guys build healthy and genuine relationships with your housemates in your university accommodation? I am shooked as hell to even interact properly around them. I don't relate to any of them.
Original post by Shallow_TXT
How did you guys build healthy and genuine relationships with your housemates in your university accommodation? I am shooked as hell to even interact properly around them. I don't relate to any of them.

Hi @Shallow_TXT

I know this feeling and it can feel really awkward at first to make friendships with your flat mates.

I found that saying hi and interacting with them every time I saw them - even if they didn't always respond - can work wonders, as it starts to break the ice and you can appear friendly.

You are all at university so this is a easy thing you can all relate to! Try asking open questions like how are they finding their course or have they had much work to do, etc., to start a conversation. It may seem a bit forced at first, but by starting conversations about open topics, you should find it easier to carry on talking about other topics too.

Also don't feel you have to act a certain way or do certain things to build friendships or feel like you fit in with your flat mates. A big tip that I have lived by in student accommodation is to stick to your values and morals. For example, if someone says something I don't like or agree with, I won't act like I agree just to seem more appealing to them. I found this allowed me to figure out the genuine friendships and to build the healthy relationships you want to achieve.

It's most likely that your flat mates are also unsure about how to start building friendships with each other, so try not to feel too disheartened if you guys aren't instantly friends as soon as you've met.

Give it some time and keep persevering with starting conversations - maybe even suggest you all go to a Fresher's event together?
And also remember that it's not the end of the world if you aren't friends with everyone as sometimes a few closer friendships are more valuable.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Thank you for this useful advice. The awkwardness could kick in for one-two more week but I will try to initiate and contribute to conversations with my roommates more. Also I heavily agree with your advise, on sticking with values and morals to attract and form genuine relationships with the right people which was why I was afraid in the first place but now I know that with time it will bring me my kind of people. Thank you Emily
Original post by Shallow_TXT
Thank you for this useful advice. The awkwardness could kick in for one-two more week but I will try to initiate and contribute to conversations with my roommates more. Also I heavily agree with your advise, on sticking with values and morals to attract and form genuine relationships with the right people which was why I was afraid in the first place but now I know that with time it will bring me my kind of people. Thank you Emily

Not a problem at all @Shallow_TXT !

You're absolutely right. And also, a lot of my friends at uni I have met through my course ands societies so please don't worry as the right people for you are out there at uni.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending