The Student Room Group

Prediction/ application problem

I sent my application to my school a few days ago and my problem is that my predictions are 3A*s in Maths, Further maths and Economics, however I achieved a B in the Further maths AS exam (largely due to the massive increase in marks for certain grade boundaries but I understand that's not an excuse) . My school only enters us into the FM AS exam and I'm worried it's going to give an "unrealistic prediction vibe" to all the unis that I've applied too, especially seeing as my GCSE's are 'mediocre' at 88887666665, with 8s in Maths, Physics, English lit and Business, and a 7 in Further Maths.

Generally speaking, I know that I've had a massive turnaround in year 12 and finally started to apply myself so I know the B is not representative of what I can achieve (hence being one of only 4 students at my 6th form to be predicted 3A*s), but I feel like as a whole, my application looks relatively weak in some sense, even when I've achieved top marks in internal tests for every subject.

I've also applied to:
Maths and Econ at LSE and Bath
MORSE at Warwick
Economics at UCL

Is it looking like I'm going to have to take a gap year or do I have a decent chance at some of these unis with a strong personal statement ( which I believe I have ) ?
The only way to find out is to apply.

You’ll have decisions from your universities by may 2024
Reply 2
Original post by kenanjenkins
I sent my application to my school a few days ago and my problem is that my predictions are 3A*s in Maths, Further maths and Economics, however I achieved a B in the Further maths AS exam (largely due to the massive increase in marks for certain grade boundaries but I understand that's not an excuse) . My school only enters us into the FM AS exam and I'm worried it's going to give an "unrealistic prediction vibe" to all the unis that I've applied too, especially seeing as my GCSE's are 'mediocre' at 88887666665, with 8s in Maths, Physics, English lit and Business, and a 7 in Further Maths.

Generally speaking, I know that I've had a massive turnaround in year 12 and finally started to apply myself so I know the B is not representative of what I can achieve (hence being one of only 4 students at my 6th form to be predicted 3A*s), but I feel like as a whole, my application looks relatively weak in some sense, even when I've achieved top marks in internal tests for every subject.

I've also applied to:
Maths and Econ at LSE and Bath
MORSE at Warwick
Economics at UCL

Is it looking like I'm going to have to take a gap year or do I have a decent chance at some of these unis with a strong personal statement ( which I believe I have ) ?

same exact issue, what are you going to resit though in a gap year? do you have to mention the further maths AS grade since we are doing the full alevel anyway?
It depends on whether it is an actual AS exam or the schools internal exam. If it is the schools internal exam it doesnt need to be shown. I it is the formal exam board exam it does need to be shown. Formal AS exams are taken in Wales, Northern Ireland and international students. English students usually take school exams which are often called exams but arent formal exams.

The universities applied for are very competitive and many will be rejected. Nobody can know for sure whether they will be offered a place.
Reply 4
I wouldn't resit anything I just could end up getting rejected by all 5. It should be alright though, hopefully I get into bath/Warwick.

And yeah you do have to mention the AS result unfortunately for us.
Original post by kjhgfdh
same exact issue, what are you going to resit though in a gap year? do you have to mention the further maths AS grade since we are doing the full alevel anyway?
Reply 5
If the AS isnt actually required, most Unis will just ignore it - stop worrying and just apply.
Reply 6
Yeah I have done 2 weeks ago thanks for the reassurance though.
Original post by McGinger
If the AS isnt actually required, most Unis will just ignore it - stop worrying and just apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending