The Student Room Group

1 grade lower on my predicted grades.

Is it still worth applying to Newcastle if I am 1 grade lower than required in my predicted grades?
Original post by NLondon2023
Is it still worth applying to Newcastle if I am 1 grade lower than required in my predicted grades?

That would depend on whether the course was heavily oversubscribed or not. It would also depend on whether the other unis to which you were applying were relatively "safe" or not. Applying for one (or perhaps two) "aspirational" unis is fine as long as you've got a decent number of "safer" uni in the mix too.

It is not worth the risk if you dont have safe options otherwise you would waste one of your five choices - you need to meet the entry requirements (your predicted grades must meet or exceed it), otherwise they might/will reject you (depends on if a lot of people are applying to that course)
Entry requirements act as a filter - to reduce the number of people that can apply.
Read https://thinkstudent.co.uk/how-important-are-your-predicted-grades/#:~:text=Think%20Student%20article.-,What%20if%20your%20predicted%20grades%20are%20lower%20than%20your%20entry,your%20application%20may%20get%20rejected.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
That would depend on whether the course was heavily oversubscribed or not. It would also depend on whether the other unis to which you were applying were relatively "safe" or not. Applying for one (or perhaps two) "aspirational" unis is fine as long as you've got a decent number of "safer" uni in the mix too.

Thanks for your response. I noticed for my course it was in clearing for several days this year so assume it’s not oversubscribed. It was in clearing for several universities for a week or more after results day so was hoping that means not oversubscribed.
Thanks for your response. I noticed for my course it was in clearing for several days this year so assume it’s not oversubscribed. It was in clearing for several universities for a week or more after results day so was hoping that means not oversubscribed.

I would say that's a reasonable assumption, and would increase the likelihood that they'd make you an offer even if your predicted grades don't quite match their stated requirements. However, you'd still need to ensure you applied to some "safer" options too.

Hi @NLondon2023

To check if we would consider your application, please provide us with details of all the qualifications that you have achieved so far or are currently taking via our Enquiries Form, including:

The name of the qualification (e.g. A level, BTEC, GCSE)
The subjects/units covered
Any grades/marks obtained and the year awarded

Please also advise as to the course or courses that you are interested in applying for.

Our Undergraduate Admissions Team will then assess your eligibility to apply and be able to advise you further as to whether your application may be considered.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Reply 6
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @NLondon2023

To check if we would consider your application, please provide us with details of all the qualifications that you have achieved so far or are currently taking via our Enquiries Form, including:

The name of the qualification (e.g. A level, BTEC, GCSE)
The subjects/units covered
Any grades/marks obtained and the year awarded

Please also advise as to the course or courses that you are interested in applying for.

Our Undergraduate Admissions Team will then assess your eligibility to apply and be able to advise you further as to whether your application may be considered.

Elliott

Thanks! - I am still waiting my final predictions. I was just wondering just in case.
Thanks! - I am still waiting my final predictions. I was just wondering just in case.

Hi @NLondon2023

Ah I understand.

Other than for certain specific programmes including Medicine and Surgery and Dental Surgery, we'll likely consider an application from someone with predicted grades lower than the entry requirement. We take into account the A Level profile (including subject combinations), personal statement, and reference. We would also consider competitiveness for places on the course applied to. Furthermore, where there are specific GCSE entry requirements, it is essential that applicants meet them.

Should we make an offer, this would be 'aspirational', and set at our standard entry requirements. It would then be up to the applicant to decide whether to select us.

For further guidance, we would advise that you get in touch with us once you have your predicted grades and our Undergraduate Admissions Team will be able to advise you further regarding your eligibility about applying for a course at Newcastle University.

Elliott
Reply 8
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @NLondon2023

Ah I understand.

Other than for certain specific programmes including Medicine and Surgery and Dental Surgery, we'll likely consider an application from someone with predicted grades lower than the entry requirement. We take into account the A Level profile (including subject combinations), personal statement, and reference. We would also consider competitiveness for places on the course applied to. Furthermore, where there are specific GCSE entry requirements, it is essential that applicants meet them.

Should we make an offer, this would be 'aspirational', and set at our standard entry requirements. It would then be up to the applicant to decide whether to select us.

For further guidance, we would advise that you get in touch with us once you have your predicted grades and our Undergraduate Admissions Team will be able to advise you further regarding your eligibility about applying for a course at Newcastle University.

Elliott

Thank you! That is very helpful! I meet the GCSE requirements and my A Level mix is good for the course. I'll await my predicted grades but Newcastle is top of my list!
Reply 9
Which course? If medicine - probably not. Modern languages - no problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending