The Student Room Group

Refund of tuition fees

I have been refused visa (T4) on 5th December 2016 and as per instruction of BPP LAW SCHOOL I applied for admin review. My decision has come up negative. I approached the university to process the refund. They are simply saying as 10 weeks have passed after the course commenced, I will not be eligible for a refund. My question is, if the UKBA takes time to give a decision is it my fault? I paid £11500 for my tuition fees. Are they not ripping me off just because I am an international student?
What do the T's and C's say about refunds?

Did you actually start your course? I think its the case that as soon as the course starts there are no refunds and that applies to all students. Plenty of people have a change of mind and lose or owe money this way, not just international students. Maube there was soemthing exceptional and beyond yur ontrol as to why a visa was not granted? Maybe you cna take advice from any of the student advisors at BPP? No idea if they have an SU.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What do the T's and C's say about refunds?

Did you actually start your course? I think its the case that as soon as the course starts there are no refunds and that applies to all students. Plenty of people have a change of mind and lose or owe money this way, not just international students. Maube there was soemthing exceptional and beyond yur ontrol as to why a visa was not granted? Maybe you cna take advice from any of the student advisors at BPP? No idea if they have an SU.

Yes i was temporary registered but have not attended exams as I was not granted visa. But is this not un unfair force majeure hardship clause? So students are basic basically helpless in this matter?
Reply 3
Original post by Nadim92
Yes i was temporary registered but have not attended exams as I was not granted visa. But is this not un unfair force majeure hardship clause? So students are basic basically helpless in this matter?

There student advisors and their departments does not have consistency. I have to call them a minimum of 100 times and each time I have to start from the beginning...i am thinking of filing a civil claim
Original post by Nadim92

You really need to be interviewed and assessed, so someone can get all the details.
Alternatively you need to read the tems and conditions. Its impossible to give you a proper answer on here without knowing the full facts.

If any other TSR poster wnats to have a go at interpreting their Ts and C's then the rules are here Rule 6 and 7.

http://www.bpp.com/bpp-university/terms/june-2014

7.7 If you are refused a Student Visa/Entry Clearance or Extension of Visa then you may request (but we are not obliged to provide) a refund of any sums received by BPP from you (less the Deposit, if applicable) provided that:

7.7.1 You inform us of this at least 1 Working Day before your Programme start date.

7.7.2 You send a refund request by e-mail to [email protected] within 4 weeks of the date upon which you are refused a Study Visa/Entrance Clearance, with a copy of the Embassy/High Commission/ UKVI document that confirms the refusal of your visa application or renewal.

7.8 If the official Student Visa refusal documents indicate that you gave us or any entry clearance officer or the UKVI incorrect, misleading or fraudulent documents or information, or that you did not adequately prepare your visa application, or that you did not give us all relevant facts about your situation before we enrolled you or issued a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), we may refuse a refund.

Really need all the facts, but looks like they are claiming discretion on whether to refund and there are grounds for them refusing completely. They still have absolute discretion though, but wouldnt surprise me if they do everything they can to keep the money.

My non researched view is yes they can refuse claiming its ops responsibility to get the visa. he didnt put the request fior a refund in in time i.e within 4 weeks.

Leave it to people who are more awake............ @jneill
(edited 7 years ago)
Dear Nadim,Iam in a similar situation. Did you get a refund ? I need help
Reply 6
Me too. I’m waiting for a refund for last 3 months from BPP. Which they agreed to pay within 28 days. What should i do?
Original post by Samjeedh
Me too. I’m waiting for a refund for last 3 months from BPP. Which they agreed to pay within 28 days. What should i do?

I would suggest contacting BPP as they will be the ones best placed to give you more information.
Reply 8
Original post by cheesecakelove
I would suggest contacting BPP as they will be the ones best placed to give you more information.

I contacted the finance team more than 25 times with this 3 months period and they are just delaying it saying the accounts teams has to do the rest of the payment process and they agreed to do this within this week. And i hear this every week
I contacted the finance team more than 25 times with this 3 months period and they are just delaying it saying the accounts teams has to do the rest of the payment process and they agreed to do this within this week. And i hear this every week

How are you contacting them? Have you explained the situation clearly to them - if you have been contacting them for the last 3 months, there should be a system to resolve your issue.
They take weeks to reply to emails. So I’ve been calling them. The finance team is so irresponsible.Each time I call them they are saying, they can do nothing about it and they are waiting to hear from accounts team.The only other way i have is to file a formal complaint form. But I’m worried if i do so, What if they hold the refund to investigate on it and takes even more time. In the Complaint form it says normally take 28 days to do the investigation.
Reply 11
They take weeks to reply to emails. So I’ve been calling them. The finance team is so irresponsible.Each time I call them they are saying, they can do nothing about it and they are waiting to hear from accounts team.The only other way i have is to file a formal complaint form. But I’m worried if i do so, What if they hold the refund to investigate on it and takes even more time. In the Complaint form it says normally take 28 days to do the investigation.

Hey there...have you got your refund?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending