The Student Room Group

What are the different Inns of court?

Ie who are the scholarships for, is it different chambers for each inn? if I apply to one, does that mean I can't move to another inn? do they all provide the similar thing. Are the scholarships for students at underrepresented backgrounds?
Reply 1
Why don’t you visit each Inn’s websites. You find all the answers to your questions and lots more.
Original post by student17!
Ie who are the scholarships for, is it different chambers for each inn? if I apply to one, does that mean I can't move to another inn? do they all provide the similar thing. Are the scholarships for students at underrepresented backgrounds?

Hi @student17!

The scholarships provided by the Inns are designed to help their members access a career at the bar with a particular focus on students. There are scholarships for those who want to do the GDL, those who want to do the BPC and those in Pupillage. It is not different chambers for each Inn, the way that it works is that every barrister within the UK belongs to an Inn regardless of their chambers, their area of work or even the stage of their career. However, you have to belong to an Inn to be called to the bar and to practice so if you want to be a barrister you must apply to be a member of one of the four Inns (which Inn you choose is entirely up to you and there isn't really much difference between any of them). You cannot apply for a scholarship from more than one Inn and to accept the scholarship you need to be a member (also, it isn't common for people to move to different Inns so once you have made your choice you tend to stay with it). All of the Inns provide very similar things but I would recommend looking at all of their websites as they are run separately so they have different procedures for scholarships, qualifying sessions etc. Scholarships are for individuals based mainly on merit which means you do not have to be from an underrepresented background but equally the bar is always aiming to support people from all walks of life so the amount you may receive in scholarship may vary depending on personal circumstances.

I hope this has helped a bit :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending