The Student Room Group

course related

hi, I am currently in year 12 and I have a great passion in becoming a doctor however my GCSE grades did not reflect positively about my hardwork. Moreover for A levels I'm taking sociology, psychology ,government and politics is there a way for me to get into medicine, if so please state how and the reasonable uni.Though im not doing the sciences required at most uni, 2 of the subjects im studying are social science.please could you help me
Reply 1
Original post by .Abi16
hi, I am currently in year 12 and I have a great passion in becoming a doctor however my GCSE grades did not reflect positively about my hardwork. Moreover for A levels I'm taking sociology, psychology ,government and politics is there a way for me to get into medicine, if so please state how and the reasonable uni.Though im not doing the sciences required at most uni, 2 of the subjects im studying are social science.please could you help me

Hi Abi,
unfortunately without any science a-levels its near impossible to get into undergraduate medicine, however post-graduate could still be an option if you study a different degree and so well in it and are still interested in medicine. Hope this helps
Original post by .Abi16

Well, you're kind of making it more difficult than it needs to be without doing any sciences or maths. Whilst I appreciate that not having the right GCSE grades can limit your ability to enroll onto science A Levels, it's going to make things significantly more challenging.

Normally without the appropriate A Levels, you have the following choices:

Do an Access in Science (you need to be really careful about which one you do as some medical schools can be really picky)

Do the required A Levels in a gap year - typically biology and chemistry, being the key ones. A Levels by themselves don't require specific grades at GCSE (only the individual 6th form college require the grades), so you're eligible as a private candidate

Medicine is also a degree that's ridiculously competitive and you would need to go over and beyond on so many things just to get in. Grades and BMAT/UCAT alone are not enough; you need a ridiculously good personal statement, ideally with some relevant work experience.

I would check the following for further information: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/
There are also a number of TSR volunteers who study medicine, and they advise better than I can on this matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending