The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking the LNAT considering my stats?

Hi all, I am considering applying to university for Law next year. I have taken a gap year after finishing my A-Levels and Law as a subject is something I'm exploring.

If I were to apply for Law, a few aspirational universities I would like to apply to require the LNAT.

My achieved grades this year were:
A* in Business
A in Media
A* in Economics

With GCSEs of 8777766665...

Considering my grades and unfavourable subject combinations, is there any point in applying to the top universities that require it? I'm thinking of applying to KCL and Durham just as a kind of yolo thing as I have little risk with achieved grades.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I am considering applying to university for Law next year. I have taken a gap year after finishing my A-Levels and Law as a subject is something I'm exploring.

If I were to apply for Law, a few aspirational universities I would like to apply to require the LNAT.

My achieved grades this year were:
A* in Business
A in Media
A* in Economics

With GCSEs of 8777766665...

Considering my grades and unfavourable subject combinations, is there any point in applying to the top universities that require it? I'm thinking of applying to KCL and Durham just as a kind of yolo thing as I have little risk with achieved grades.

Thanks!

Surely if you do a good LNAT that will help you in getting into your more aspirational uni choices?
Original post by CAG575
Surely if you do a good LNAT that will help you in getting into your more aspirational uni choices?

Yeah but I'm not sure if my subjects are respected by the universities that require the LNAT
Reply 3
Well, I see your point, but the best way to overcome that would be to do the LNAT and get a really good grade. That would make your application very competitive. Also, your grades are achieved , not predicted which is also a benefit. Do you have anything to lose?
Original post by CAG575
Well, I see your point, but the best way to overcome that would be to do the LNAT and get a really good grade. That would make your application very competitive. Also, your grades are achieved , not predicted which is also a benefit. Do you have anything to lose?

The time, I guess, but that's not much. If I choose Law, I will do the LNAT. Thanks!
Reply 5
Yeah but I'm not sure if my subjects are respected by the universities that require the LNAT

They dont care - for Law, any subjects will do, they just want high grades.

Stop making excuses and apply.
Original post by McGinger
They dont care - for Law, any subjects will do, they just want high grades.

Stop making excuses and apply.

Ok. Where do you think I can apply to, aspirational choice wise?

Pretty much anywhere with A*A*A predictions and you then take the LNAT.

How many aspirational choices is up to you, (most often 1-2 is recommended). But you could apply to 4 early and see if you get any offers before the Jan deadline. Then you'll know if you even need a 'safe' choice.
Original post by Admit-One
Pretty much anywhere with A*A*A predictions and you then take the LNAT.

How many aspirational choices is up to you, (most often 1-2 is recommended). But you could apply to 4 early and see if you get any offers before the Jan deadline. Then you'll know if you even need a 'safe' choice.

They are achieved grades. I didn't know you could do that btw - I thought you submitted all choices on one time on just one UCAS application
Reply 9

With A*A*A you can apply where you like - Bristol, Manchester, take your pick.
They are achieved grades. I didn't know you could do that btw - I thought you submitted all choices on one time on just one UCAS application

Then you're in an even stronger position.

Yes, common advice given out by anyone that works in admissions. For some reason schools and UCAS advisors are ignorant about it. Just bear in mind that any applications you submit later will be identical to the first, you can't amend anything, incuding your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending