The Student Room Group

Literature

Hi, I am thinking of studying literature at university and would like some advice on how to prepare for the course. I left sixth form in 2022 and I'm planning to start studying in 2024 after 2 years of volunteering and working. I achieved A* for literature at A level and really loved it!
Original post by lemontreess
Hi, I am thinking of studying literature at university and would like some advice on how to prepare for the course. I left sixth form in 2022 and I'm planning to start studying in 2024 after 2 years of volunteering and working. I achieved A* for literature at A level and really loved it!

Hey @lemontreess,

It is great to hear you want to study Literature and have a true passion for it. I am a Psychology student going into final year so I can't say too much about preparing for a literature degree.

Usually universities do not expect you to have prepared before your degree but I can see that you are eager to start which is great! I would say look over your a-level notes for a recap if you still have them. Just to remind yourself how you wrote your essays and made notes.

One other piece of advice I would give is to read for fun while you are waiting to begin your course. Spend the time exploring your interests and maybe try something new!

If you are able to visit a university open day you could also ask staff and maybe student ambassadors what they would recommend to do to prepare.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Reps
Original post by lemontreess

Hi,

I'm glad you're thinking of studying English Literature at university!

I've just completed my English Literature degree at Liverpool Hope University, and loved it overall! It wasn't just reading a book and writing an essay on it, it got more creative in the second and third year!

Literature courses vary by university, but in general, after reading your text I would do some secondary reading. Not just context, but looking at academic journals that explore the different themes, issues, topics, etc. within the texts. Secondary reading is quite important at degree level and it really gets you thinking deeper about the text and also provides you with an enhanced understanding. These themes will tend to come up in lectures and can be a starting point in seminar discussions, so it's great to get ahead of the game and be prepared!

Another great tip is to read ahead. If you receive your reading list in advance of the term starting, then get as much read as you can. This will make your life a whole lot easier in the long run, as you will have multiple things going on simultaneously like assignments, preparing for seminars, and catching up of you have missed anything. I would recommend making notes as you go if you can, as if you have read a book a couple of months before studying it in class then you may tend to forget, so your notes will give you a refresher!

I hope this is helpful :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending