The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

MMU: What Is Induction?

Hi, I am at Mmu and the term starts on Monday but the first week is an induction week.

However nothing I see mentions anything of what induction actually is and there is nothing on my timetable at all for that week, meaning I am completely unsure of where I go or what I do for the entirety of my first week.

Any help would be appreciated! :smile:
Original post by kakeruu
Hi, I am at Mmu and the term starts on Monday but the first week is an induction week.

However nothing I see mentions anything of what induction actually is and there is nothing on my timetable at all for that week, meaning I am completely unsure of where I go or what I do for the entirety of my first week.

Any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Hi @kakeruu!

Induction week is essentially the chance to get to know you lecturers and course mates before you settle into the first week of teaching. Also known as Welcome Week, it's a week packed with fun events, activities and opportunities to meet new friends. All designed to help you settle into University.

The Student Hub and the Union webpages are good resources of information :smile:

I hope this helps!!

Chloe :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi @kakeruu!

Induction week is essentially the chance to get to know you lecturers and course mates before you settle into the first week of teaching. Also known as Welcome Week, it's a week packed with fun events, activities and opportunities to meet new friends. All designed to help you settle into University.

The Student Hub and the Union webpages are good resources of information :smile:

I hope this helps!!

Chloe :smile:

So induction week is just all the optional social events and stuff I’m getting emails for? not actual lessons until next week?
Original post by kakeruu
So induction week is just all the optional social events and stuff I’m getting emails for? not actual lessons until next week?

For the most part, yes. Official lectures, seminars etc. will start next week :smile:
Reply 4
Mine is on my time table though, so, do I have to go? It's also on Tuesday and Thursday so I'm not sure if I have to go to both or not.
Original post by Kamikoto
Mine is on my time table though, so, do I have to go? It's also on Tuesday and Thursday so I'm not sure if I have to go to both or not.

Yes, you are required to attend what is listed on your timetable. - Chloe :smile:
Is induction week the same as freshers week at MMU? My move in weekend is a week before that but I am away does that matter that I move in on the Tuesday?
Original post by Dclaire1974
Is induction week the same as freshers week at MMU? My move in weekend is a week before that but I am away does that matter that I move in on the Tuesday?

Hi @Dclaire1974!

Induction/welcome week and freshers week are the same for most courses (a few courses start earlier than freshers week) and ideally we would like you to be on campus during that time. As long as you're on campus for the start date of your course, you can move into your accommodation at any time between the accommodation start date and your course start date.

Hope this helps!
Chloe😀
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending