The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Loughborough

I am puzzled by this choice, I went to both virtual open days, and formed a one sided opinion that Loughborough is a better option for an aerospace engineering degree in every aspect whether that's their technology, campuses or the university as a whole. However, I researched it quite well before asking it on TSR, and no matter where I look, people keep telling me Bristol is better in every way, and I can't see why.....If anyone can briefly help me make the decision. This is my final Uni choice, I already have my 2 other choices, the last one is between these two. thank you <3
Reply 1
Either choice is fine really.
As above, both choices are good.

Loughborough's engineering courses are very good but the lifestyle may not be everyone's cup of tea, though if you're sporty you'll love it. Bristol has the advantage of proximity to the aerospace industry, though Loughborough isn't too far off given it's close to Derby. Bristol is also the bigger city which comes with the according benefits of that. If international reputation matters, Bristol also pulls ahead for that.

It's worth listing all of your choices when asking this kind of question because we might say take both of those choices and get rid of another one, or that there might be a more suitable option for your final choice.
Reply 3
Loughborough is very good for engineering and for aero. They had a virtual open day. Bristol as a city though depends whether you like it. Bristol is also good.
Reply 4
Original post by 161BMW
Loughborough is very good for engineering and for aero. They had a virtual open day. Bristol as a city though depends whether you like it. Bristol is also good.

I went to both open days, and to be honest, Bristol didn't stand out at all, where as Loughborough had me wishing I was there etc. But I am planning on going to another open day in September hoping its not going to be virtual.
Reply 5
Original post by daniksafin
I went to both open days, and to be honest, Bristol didn't stand out at all, where as Loughborough had me wishing I was there etc. But I am planning on going to another open day in September hoping its not going to be virtual.

I also had a look on the virtual open day recorded talks for Mech Eng and Automotive Eng.
The facilities are very impressive. It is unusual for Auto Eng to be in a separate department to Mech Eng though.
It might also be due to the fact there are a lot of aerospace sector companies located near the city of Bristol - the university feeds into that, and benefits from it in kind. For aerospace engineering in particular this ends up raising Bristol's profile a bit.

Generally speaking though they're both good engineering departments so I think you would be fine no matter which one you went, provided you make the most of the opportunities afforded to you at either!
Original post by daniksafin
I am puzzled by this choice, I went to both virtual open days, and formed a one sided opinion that Loughborough is a better option for an aerospace engineering degree in every aspect whether that's their technology, campuses or the university as a whole. However, I researched it quite well before asking it on TSR, and no matter where I look, people keep telling me Bristol is better in every way, and I can't see why.....If anyone can briefly help me make the decision. This is my final Uni choice, I already have my 2 other choices, the last one is between these two. thank you <3

Hi @daniksafin,

Ultimately your top 5 uni choices should all be options that you like the course at and can see yourself at. Within this you will then have a preference from 1 to 5, but if you cannot see yourself enjoying your time at that university then you don't need to include it in your options. Your university choices are unique to you.

When I was applying I picked two universities that were good for my course based on external advice, but I didn't actually like the universities themselves. This then meant that I only had three options available to me. Trust your instinct and pick a university with a course and setting that appeals to you and you like.

If you have any questions about Loughborough we will be happy to answer either on here or PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Hello, my son is planning to pursue Computer Science with Management @ Loughborough. Your suggestions please?
Original post by Rajeev Rajappan
Hello, my son is planning to pursue Computer Science with Management @ Loughborough. Your suggestions please?

Hi @Rajeev Rajappan,

It's great to hear that your son is interested in studying at Loughborough 🙂 remember that if you have any questions about the course your son is interested in studying, you are welcome to ask us. It may also be worth mentioning that if you do have any very specific questions, you can find the particular course on our website and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find an email address for you to speak to the team that deal with the course.

I hope this helps :smile:

Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest