The Student Room Group

appealing GCSE grades for med school

I had circumstances that lead me to doing me to self teaching GCSE in a year. I got a 6 in chemistry & a 7 in bio + maths + eng lang + eng lit alongside a 9 in arabic. A resit of physics 2 years later gave me a grade 7.

Could I potentially mention this in my application. I know its a bit of an insane question but I wonder if it'll help my application, considering I'm competing with people who probably got 8-9s at GCSE.
This would be something for your referee to address, not in your personal statement.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
This would be something for your referee to address, not in your personal statement.

they scrapped personal statements my bro
Original post by Polyketides
they scrapped personal statements my bro

No, they'll just be fixed questions to answer. You'll cover the same content as the free format PS.

The reference will also now have a specifc section for "extenuating circumstances which may have impacted the applicant's education and achievement":

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/writing-references/changes-undergraduate-references-2024-entry
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
No, they'll just be fixed questions to answer. You'll cover the same content as the free format PS.

The reference will also now have a specifc section for "extenuating circumstances which may have impacted the applicant's education and achievement":

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/writing-references/changes-undergraduate-references-2024-entry

Ah I see. Good to know. Thanks for the help
Ah I see. Good to know. Thanks for the help

No worries. You can always prioritise unis that prioritise GCSE's less heavily in their scoring. There is info on TSR about it, but you would be better checking again nearer the time.
Reply 6
I had circumstances that lead me to doing me to self teaching GCSE in a year. I got a 6 in chemistry & a 7 in bio + maths + eng lang + eng lit alongside a 9 in arabic. A resit of physics 2 years later gave me a grade 7.

Could I potentially mention this in my application. I know its a bit of an insane question but I wonder if it'll help my application, considering I'm competing with people who probably got 8-9s at GCSE.

If you are thinking of applying to med schools where you do not meet grade requirements, you would need to follow their ExCircs requirements, which is usually a separate form to complete before the UCAS deadline, and they will decide if they will accept them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending