The Student Room Group

You’re all better than me

I will never make it as a doctor. I will never have a family. I will never get married. I will never live up to my parents’ goals. I am trapped in a vicious cycle of mental health problems, and not being a doctor just makes me feel even more worthless. I no longer want to be a doctor. They’re overworked, very stressed and have to be on the ball at all times.

There was a time when I was in school and had excellent grades, but this one B grade in PE for GCSE threw me off. I felt like a failure for that one B grade. If only I could get back to my great grades and extra curricular activities I would fight to become a doctor again. It’s just too stressful though.

I am not myself after a lifetime of wanting to be a doctor gone. I am now a loser with severe mental health issues. Where did I go wrong?

Damn my life sucks. I am a drain on resources. Tired of it all.
don't do a degree in medicine if it's not what you want to do. all those years of med school for a degree you aren't even interested in is definitely not worth it. if you've just done your gcses, then you have minimum all of year 12 to decide what degree you might be interested in doing instead !! and most universities don't care about your gcse results anyway, provided you meet the minimum maths and english requirements, so if you find yourself turning to medicine again then you most definitely won't be at a disadvantage :smile:
Original post by Honeyrain
I will never make it as a doctor. I will never have a family. I will never get married. I will never live up to my parents’ goals. I am trapped in a vicious cycle of mental health problems, and not being a doctor just makes me feel even more worthless. I no longer want to be a doctor. They’re overworked, very stressed and have to be on the ball at all times.

There was a time when I was in school and had excellent grades, but this one B grade in PE for GCSE threw me off. I felt like a failure for that one B grade. If only I could get back to my great grades and extra curricular activities I would fight to become a doctor again. It’s just too stressful though.

I am not myself after a lifetime of wanting to be a doctor gone. I am now a loser with severe mental health issues. Where did I go wrong?

Why do you want to be a doctor?
You don’t know that. It’s far too soon to write yourself off as unable to do any of those things. I sincerely hope you will be pleasantly surprised in future and find a path that works for you.

Your GCSEs are brilliant - one grade B is hardly anything to worry about. I would imagine most would envy grades like yours, in fact.

The above responses are all completely correct and worth thinking about. Have a deep think about whether any other career paths appeal and ask yourself why would you want to be a doctor, so as to establish whether the other career paths you think of would truly be better.
Reply 5
There was a time when I was in school and had excellent grades, but this one B grade in PE for GCSE threw me off. I felt like a failure for that one B grade.

I'd be over the moon and celebrating like I'd won the lottery if I ever got a B or higher in anything.

Also, name me a successful doctor. Name me someone successful from the past 40-50 years who has achieved nothing but A*s in their exams. You'll struggle. Maybe you'll find 1, maybe 2 people? Now name me someone who isn't a doctor and someone who was average/below average in their school who ended up being successful in some shape or form. You can probably name a whole list just off the top of your head.
Though this may be hard to hear now it may actually be a blessing in disguise that this is what you’re going through because you should be basing your career path on what the career in question is actually like. And being a doctor is very stressful, difficult and the hours are also crazzyyy. And so that’s what you should be basing your decision on, not on getting a B in a mickey mouse subject at GCSE.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by RichPiana
I'd be over the moon and celebrating like I'd won the lottery if I ever got a B or higher in anything.

Also, name me a successful doctor. Name me someone successful from the past 40-50 years who has achieved nothing but A*s in their exams. You'll struggle. Maybe you'll find 1, maybe 2 people? Now name me someone who isn't a doctor and someone who was average/below average in their school who ended up being successful in some shape or form. You can probably name a whole list just off the top of your head.

Rich?! I thought you died?
Reply 8
Original post by B7861
Rich?! I thought you died?

I’m still alive and breathing. No amount of juice can kill me.

If there's one thing you certainly are not is a loser. I think you should try to reframe your perception about your life and live in the present, don't let the past burden you and live for the here and now. Don't focus on the past dragging you down, you need to live as though you can make now better for you.

Me and many others have been in similar situations. You need to find people who care about you, take out those who don't care, and then form your life on what you truly want, and if for some reason you can't get what you truly want, try to find something just as good. Don't give up, don't give in and beat down the barriers barricading you into this misery.
Original post by RichPiana
I’m still alive and breathing. No amount of juice can kill me.

RICH!!!!!! 🥹

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending