The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades to study Medicine

Hi everyeone,
I received a grade 5 in GCSE english language, which is the only grade that is letting me down. Would I still be able to get into medical school with 3 A* predicted grades and a good UCAT/BMAT?
Original post by dauwood
Hi everyeone,
I received a grade 5 in GCSE english language, which is the only grade that is letting me down. Would I still be able to get into medical school with 3 A* predicted grades and a good UCAT/BMAT?

It's possible, but quite a few Med Schools need at least a 6 in English Language. You'll need to make sure you apply wisely only to the Med Schools that accept a 5 in English Language and/or need a 6 in English Language or literature.

You might want to consider retaking it too to bring your mark up. That'll open up your options a lot more.

See here: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/#:~:text=Which%20GCSE%20Subjects%20are%20Required,8s%20and%209s)%20at%20GCSE.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! I know its been 3 years but I ended up doing exactly that and got into med after taking a gap year! I'm going into my second year now :smile:
Original post by usycool1
It's possible, but quite a few Med Schools need at least a 6 in English Language. You'll need to make sure you apply wisely only to the Med Schools that accept a 5 in English Language and/or need a 6 in English Language or literature.

You might want to consider retaking it too to bring your mark up. That'll open up your options a lot more.

See here: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/#:~:text=Which%20GCSE%20Subjects%20are%20Required,8s%20and%209s)%20at%20GCSE.
Reply 3
haha wholesome
Original post by dauwood
Thanks for the advice! I know its been 3 years but I ended up doing exactly that and got into med after taking a gap year! I'm going into my second year now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest