The Student Room Group

Gcses for medicine

For my gcses I got 3 9s, 6 8s and 2 7s, I got a grade 7 in maths. I would like to study medicine but I'm not sure whether my grades are good enough considering how competitive it is to get into medical school. I also feel disappointed because my mother keeps on reminding me of how terribly I've performed and I go to a grammar school so my grades are comparatively very low (2 of my friends got straight 9s). I've heard that a lot of medical schools take into account the school you went to when looking at your grades, this would obviously further disadvantage me so I just wanted to know whether my grades will realistically enable me to get into medical school. I am aware that A levels are more important, but I want to know whether its possible to get in to a medical school with my gcse grades, as I've heard many universities place a lot of emphasis on them and use them when shortlisting candidates.
Reply 1
Thank you so much :smile:
Medicine does not give a flying pigeon about GCSE grades. They only need to meet the minimum requirement which are often 7/6/5 for English and maths. The only universities that care about GCSE’s are Oxford and Cambridge and every other medical school bases their decision on A-Levels (these are actually important!) and entrance exams like UCAT/BMAT. It is absolutely useless to worry about this stuff so focus on your A Levels.
Reply 3
Original post by saraxdv
Medicine does not give a flying pigeon about GCSE grades. They only need to meet the minimum requirement which are often 7/6/5 for English and maths. The only universities that care about GCSE’s are Oxford and Cambridge and every other medical school bases their decision on A-Levels (these are actually important!) and entrance exams like UCAT/BMAT. It is absolutely useless to worry about this stuff so focus on your A Levels.

There is so much wrong with this post, I cannot even be bothered to correct it.
Suffice to say everyone should ignore it, barring the fact Oxford care about GCSEs
Original post by GANFYD
There is so much wrong with this post, I cannot even be bothered to correct it.
Suffice to say everyone should ignore it, barring the fact Oxford care about GCSEs

Reading comprehension is an important skill. Trust me bro when you’re applying to medicine your GCSE grades are gonna be the least of your worries 💀💀💀
Original post by saraxdv
Reading comprehension is an important skill. Trust me bro when you’re applying to medicine your GCSE grades are gonna be the least of your worries 💀💀💀

Hahaha - I’m sorry but I’m sitting here crying.

I don’t think @GANFYD will be filling in a ucas form this year. Hopefully you will be a bit slower to jump to conclusions if you get into med school.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GMT123
For my gcses I got 3 9s, 6 8s and 2 7s, I got a grade 7 in maths. I would like to study medicine but I'm not sure whether my grades are good enough considering how competitive it is to get into medical school. I also feel disappointed because my mother keeps on reminding me of how terribly I've performed and I go to a grammar school so my grades are comparatively very low (2 of my friends got straight 9s). I've heard that a lot of medical schools take into account the school you went to when looking at your grades, this would obviously further disadvantage me so I just wanted to know whether my grades will realistically enable me to get into medical school. I am aware that A levels are more important, but I want to know whether its possible to get in to a medical school with my gcse grades, as I've heard many universities place a lot of emphasis on them and use them when shortlisting candidates.

Your GCSEs are completely fine, apart from a very small number of med schools as Ganfyd said. They’re better than mine, and I’m about to start year 3 at a fairly decent med school - I got a couple of grade B’s and still got 4 interviews and more offers than I needed. Your mum doesn’t sound helpful though :frown:

Crack on with your A levels and then your entrance tests this time next year (I’m assuming you’re about to start year 12), and post in the megathread here once you have all your stats (ucat/BMAT and predicted grades). You’ll then be able to get advice on which med schools are most likely to invite you to interview with your profile. Good luck - you’ve made a great first step :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by saraxdv

:rofl: :rofl:
Original post by GANFYD

I'm actually starting to wheeze, I don't think they've been on any of the threads you, ecolier and TLC are the mums and dads of! :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD

Came back home just now and this definitely cheered me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by GMT123

So did you get into uni to study medicine ?
Don't stress it, you can definitely do it with these gases
Reply 12
Do u guys think i stand a chance with 3 grade 6s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending