The Student Room Group

Should I do badly at uni on purpose?!

So my university says that the weighting of modules between the penultimate year and final year depend on how well you do. If you do better in the final year, the final year’s modules are double weighted. If you do equally as well between both years, or worse in the final year, all modules between the final two years are weighted equally.

So now I’m wondering- would it actually be beneficial to do slightly worse in my penultimate year on purpose? There’s a module that has level 2 & level 3 variants that I know I’ll ace, so maybe I should do it at level 3 instead, and do the ones I know I’ll suck at at level 2? Thoughts??
Original post by Anonymous
So my university says that the weighting of modules between the penultimate year and final year depend on how well you do. If you do better in the final year, the final year’s modules are double weighted. If you do equally as well between both years, or worse in the final year, all modules between the final two years are weighted equally.

So now I’m wondering- would it actually be beneficial to do slightly worse in my penultimate year on purpose? There’s a module that has level 2 & level 3 variants that I know I’ll ace, so maybe I should do it at level 3 instead, and do the ones I know I’ll suck at at level 2? Thoughts??

If you have the flexibility of doing some optional modules in year 3 rather than year 2, then it might make sense to do your weaker modules in year 2 and your stronger modules in year 3. You clearly need to make that you don't pack year 2 so full of weak modules that you struggle to pass, and hence struggle to progress onto year 3. Also bear in mind that if your will be applying for any jobs, internships etc. prior to graduating, then the last set of marks you have with be those from year 2 - which won't present you in the best light.

Note that the above is not suggesting that you "do badly at uni on purpose" or "do slightly worse in my penultimate year on purpose". It's just taking your best modules at a time when they'll benefit you most, and your weaker modules at a time when they'll impact you least.

Finally, you also need to consider that what you expect to be be your stronger / weaker modules might not turn out to be the case.

That's an interesting method of classification. Which uni is it?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
That's an interesting method of classification. Which uni is it?

Uni of Leeds
Uni of Leeds

What year did you start? There are different rules depending on start date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending